- Freedom From Bondage

Freedom From Bondage

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby LisaG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:27 pm

you may not want my two cents in this i’m new at aa and i hope i don’t cause a problem here, but jr from reading this message and other messages where you post after dallas if it isn’t a resentment that you have going on with dallas its definitely something going on maybe I shouldn’t say anything. maybe he offended you at some time or made you angry at him or maybe your angry at someone else and dalas reminds you of that person. there was a smiley face after he wrote that he hoped that you put him on your fourth step and i think that means he was laughing when he said it. the way i read that is that he said that to you jokingly and you took it serious. you seem to be real intense even though you end your messages with easy does it maybe you want to easy do it? I was wondering if im supposed to pray all the time (constant prayer as you put it) when do i get off my knees or open my eyes? am i suppossed to write my forth step with my eyes closed and on my knees? maybe your not doing this but it looks like your mixing up aa with religion. thats one reason aa sometimes makes me want to run is because it seems like people want to shove aa religion down my throat. i tried religion before and i still dont think i can swallow this aa god stuff. i’m only at step 3 but my sponsor saiys i’m only supposed to pray and ask for the knowlege of gods will for me and the power to carry it out. is she wrong?
LisaG

Freedom from Bondage

Postby JR » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm really glad your here, Dallas. This site has really been a lifesaver for me and I get so much out of everyones sharing. I've taken seriously every bit of advice you have given me and I have acted upon it. I only wish there was more sharing on the steps portion of the forum.

Just so you know, it would take a lot more than a lively dialogue to give me a resentment. Now if you were a bad driver, that would be a whole other thing and you would definitely be on my list LOL.

Dallas, I think you are spiritual and special and I appreciate all of your input. If I have harmed you in any way by my over zealous sharing, I apologize but I don't guarantee it won't happen again. I just get so wrapped up in the message and I really don't want to waste this opportunity of learning the AA way of life through newcomer eyes.

I'd really like to know what the other two questions you wanted to ask me were.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

Hi Guys

Postby 918gma » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:11 am

I'm a little behind the times. So many newcomers to the forum. Thats great. It adds flavor.

I love this story. It has worked for me many times. To me pray allows me to see what my higher power already knows. It's my concious contact with him that knows me better than I know myself. By saying whats bothering me in the form, of a prayer, it allows me to see the problem, aknowledge that it exists and ask for help.

To me my higher power is waiting for me to learn to be honest with myself enough to know when I need to work on some thing and to ask for the strength to do it.

Using prayer and the steps hand in hand, keeps me focused, right sized with the world around me, and gives me the peace I need to know I'm not alone, I'm ok, and I have a program of action that will keep me sober and free from the bondage of of my character defects.

Have a great day
918gma

Hello!

Postby JR » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:46 am

Hey LisaG, thanks for sharing. If nothing else, I hope that anything you read here will make you interested in finding out for yourself by reading the Big Book and working with your sponsor. I've been sober for less than 60 days and just finished writing my fourth step a few days ago, so you and I are just at the beginning of this, with a lot of stuff to do.

I don't know about you, Lisa, but my mind is always going and sometimes the only way to shut it up is to pray. I'll say the 3rd step prayer silently to myself or the serenity prayer or whatever and it helps me to quiet my head. One of the guys on the forum, Rusty, calls it his band of gypsys in his head (I like that one). I think I have a whole dysfunctional family in there and for some reason when I pray all the other noise goes away.

Anyway, Lisa, I'm glad you got on the forum and hope you'll keep putting your "2 cents worth" in.

Easy Does It,

JR

PS Lisa, you are right about the Easy Does It. I was just being ironic because I have never done anything Easy Does It in my life LOL, good catch!!
JR

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:56 pm

well leme tellya. with two+ solid years of recovery. woring my ass off ta keep The Band of Gypsys away. the other morn, it was Attack of the 50ft' Gypsy's! not one or two, the whole Caravan of um! ouch, wadda day that was. i even got in the Horizontal position, ya know depression, in bed, but was not watching Oprah, and eating Bon-Bon's. i prayed, read, wrote, meditated, listened to some soothing music. Ut- Ugh, nothing worked.. but ya know what did??? a fella from my home group stoped by where i was working that day. he was celebrating One Year that day. as we talked about the Prog, some newbies, his recovery ect. ya know what? yep the Band of Gypsy's flew'de'coupe' lol, they went By, By, they no lik'y that recovery talk. so all ended well that day. was able to stay on that Cloud. yep, one moe day at a time. :D moral of da story? when all else fail's, go help another drunk!!! ... good wishes all, ttus, xoxo the Zip :wink: kinda like that name :lol:
Rusty Zipper

Postby JR » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:27 pm

Zip,

You say you prayed, read, wrote, meditated, listened to some soothing music and nothing worked???!!! But, then somebody showed up and you had a mini meeting with a guy celebrating one year and the Band of Gypsys took a break. So, could this other alcoholic have been the answer to your prayer and meditation? You did the footwork, TPTB gave you exactly what you needed. You put yourself in the right frame of mind (step 6 willing) for TPTB to do His work on you. TPTB does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.

Just my "2 cents" the prayer, reading writing, meditation, music did work. That is how it works, we practice the principles and TPTB does the rest.

Remember the joke about the guy sitting on top of a car during a flood. He prays for HP to help save him. Pretty soon a guy in a boat comes by and says "hey want a ride" the guy says "no, I'm waiting for HP to save me" then a helicopter comes by and sends down a rope "no thanks I'm waiting for HP to help me". Then the water rises further and the man drowns and dies. The man gets to heaven and asks HP "Why didn't you answer my prayer and save me?" HP says "I sent you a boat and a helicopter and you said no to my help twice."

So, Zip, TPTB sent you an alcoholic in recovery to give you exactly what you asked for and exactly what you needed to stay on the PC. Thanks for reminding me how it works.

Love and XOXOX,

JR
JR

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 am

so true. being aware enough to see the answers to my prayers. not get'n stuck, on stuck. and the guy with the hellecop, and da boat. he just didn't like the color of um :lol: xoPC
Rusty Zipper

Postby Angel » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:10 pm

Thanks Rusty ... I heard about that day and them SOME !! :roll: But I'm sure glad you got trough it and didn't have to drink over it..As you would say.."TPTB working in your life again" IMAGINE THAT !! :shock: Your the best..take care and Happy Sailing! :D Love Ya.."Da Angel" :wink:
Angel

Previous

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics