- Sober fun

Sober fun

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Sober fun

Postby Phillip K. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I am on day 8 of sobriety, and truly believe that I can have fun sober...i love to grill/bbq outdoors even in painfully cold nebraska winters, so Im going to expand the menu and try some different tastes and flavors maybe do an around the world type of menu. that should take several months ! anyway I used to drink anywhere from 12 to 18 beers in an average bbq session. now its flavored mineral water or diet soda.
BTW it was nice to read some of the other folks ideas, it makes me think i can do this too~
:D
Phillip K.

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 pm

I'll send you a link to an AA group up in Nebraska that I bet will rock your sober socks off with fun! I'm in a rush or I would look up the info now. I hope they are near you so that you can check them out.

I love sober fun and fun sober. Never thought it would happen but something changed inside me and made it possible to have tons of fun sober! I love it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby fletch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 pm

So nice to read people,s comment of sober fun, something to look forward too!
fletch

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 am

On about page 132/133 of the Big Book, it instructs us that "we absolutely insist on enjoying life". For me that also means "we absolutely insist on having fun."

While we're not experiencing much fun in the beginning of sobriety -- (at least, I didn't have much fun at the beginning) -- it's important that we immediately start doing things that are "fun to do" as soon as possible.

I remember the first time I rode a bike after getting sober. It was so much fun. It was simple. Easy to do. Reminded me of the fun I had as a kid. And, I ended up riding a bike almost every day for a little while to have fun. :lol:

The more fun I had sober -- showed me how much of fun living I had been missing out on by being not sober. And, it made my desire to stay sober much stronger.

When I couldn't ride the bike, I would go to shopping malls and just walk around with a cup of coffee... looking at people at stuff. That was fun. And, it helped me become aware that I didn't have to be doing real big deals -- to have fun and enjoy life sober.

I began to realize how much fun I could have "people watching." And, fun took off from there.

Most of us experience depression and worry when we're newly sober. Have you ever tried to be depressed or worry -- while you were laughing?

I tried and I couldn't do it. :lol:

A key for me, was to start trying to find things to laugh about. I watched a bunch of old comedy movies like "The Three Stoogies" and stuff that would keep me laughing.

One day, it was almost like a spiritual awakening for me, to discover how good it felt to laugh. It had been years since I had experienced a good laugh in life before sobriety.

Comedy is a lot easier than taking a pill and a lot cheaper and safer than going to a doctor. :lol: And, it's something I can do without a prescription and I can do it as often as I can without it causing me any problems.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics