- Chairmanship Rules

Chairmanship Rules

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Chairmanship Rules

Postby Woodstock » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:18 pm

Recently I chaired a meeting and first I gave the group an opportunity to suggest a topic or problem. After second moment of silence (Since no one had a topic) I kicked in with a prepared topic. On goes the meeting......

Next time.......sponsor says he doesn't let the group pick a topic, can be a challenge to stay in solution. He prefers to initiate topic and says the second moment of silence is a treatment center tactic and wishes to avoid that and wants the group to be close to AA roots. (for the record - I came from streets straight to AA).

I on the other hand feel a newcomer or member may have something they want to talk about and if I can wrap a step (solution) around it we can take off. Otherwise, let's not get into advise giving and wallowing in a problem that may best be discussed with a sponsor or other member in private.

Some chairs just lose control right away for various reasons and allow the group to give advise and stay in problem. I prefer integration of solution myself.

My question to you for discussion:

What is your method/style in conducting a meeting?

8)
Last edited by Woodstock on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Woodstock

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:42 am

Hey Woodstock!!! Great to hear from you again. I always like your questions and your sharing. I'll try to keep this "short-winded" :lol:

1. I always follow the suggestions that my Sponsor gives. The reason is: He's my Sponsor. On November 14th, 2005, it was my 19th Sober AA Birthday... and, my Sponsor is still my Sponsor. And, I still follow his suggestions. :lol: He may refer to them as "suggestions" but I consider them as "directions."

2. Most AA meetings have a written format to follow for the Chairperson or the Leader (which ever they call it for their meeting) to lead the meeting. I just follow the dotted lines of the meeting format.

Hope I kept it short enough :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Woodstock » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:30 am

Great Dallas,

Did you have chocolate cake? Ice Cream? I love parties.

I'm always glad to see some long term sobriety around when they are at least half as helpful as you are - you old fart :lol:

I'm sure glad your around - My HP led me to this site and I am very glad.

You answer short, sweet, and to the point. Must confess though, you did'nt give me time to finish my coffee :shock: :shock: :) :)

Our groups locally have a script too. I was just trying to pry to see if consensus is pick and direct or suggest and guide.

Take it easy,

Jim
Woodstock

Postby Angel » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:44 am

Hi Woodstock..Nice to meet you My name is Angel. :) I agree with Dallas. I always follow the format that was given to me to chair the meeting. However I think the person who said something, could of been a little nicer about it..

Angel :wink:
Angel

meeting chairing

Postby recoveredbygrace » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:29 am

I also follow my sponsers advice
my home group meets 4 times a week,2 speaker meetimngs,a big book study and a 12x12 step and traditions study.

not much chance me of screwin those up.We go straight into the book studys ,if no one has any QUESTIONS about AA...
we don`t ask if anyone has any problems...we know that answer allready...:-)
recoveredbygrace

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:06 am

Hey Recovered,

Sounds like you've got a great Home Group. Where are you located? I might be up for a new move!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

chairing

Postby recoveredbygrace » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:12 am

30 miles east of Charlotte,NC
out in the country
recoveredbygrace

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics