- "Secretly, we felt..."

"Secretly, we felt..."

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

"Secretly, we felt..."

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:20 pm

"Secretly, we felt we could float above the rest of the folks on our brainpower alone." ~pg 25, 12 & 12.

For many of us in recovery -- thinking and feeling can be two of the most problematic areas of our lives.

"Now we come to another kind of problem: the intellectually self-sufficient man or woman. To these, many A.A.'s can say, "Yes, we were like you--far too smart for our own good. We loved to have people call us precocious. We used our education to blow ourselves up into prideful balloons, though we were careful to hide this from others. Secretly, we felt we could float above the rest of the folks on our brainpower alone. Scientific progress told us there was nothing man couldn't do. Knowledge was all-powerful. Intellect could conquer nature. Since we were brighter than most folks (so we thought), the spoils of victory would be ours for the thinking. The god of intellect displaced the God of our fathers. But again John Barleycorn had other ideas." ~pg 25, 12 & 12.

Bill W. wrote:"These observations would be academic and pointless if
our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the
terrible cycle in motion. Therefore, the main problem of
the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body."
~ in the book, Alcoholics Anonymous, page 23.

As an alcoholic -- a lack of power is a dilema -- because of the problem that centers in my mind.

Bill W. wrote:Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a
power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power
greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how
were we to find this Power? ~pg 45 Alcoholics Anonymous

So, the solution contains two essential elements:

1. Power to assist me to recover and live. And,
2. Restoration to sanity.

The 12 Steps is the solution that accomplishes solved both of these problems.

a. They connect us to a Power that is greater than our problem.
b. They restore us to sanity. (It has been pure insanity for me to pick up a drink each time I picked one up!)
c. The provide me with a Design for Living that works.

They keep me connected to the Power, restore my sanity and keep it restored, and provide me with a Way of Living -- that helps me to rebuild and reconstruct my life.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics