- Offensive Language

Offensive Language

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Offensive Language

Postby Camel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Normally, when I have the privilege of Chairing a meeting, and there are ladies present, I ask those in attendance to refrain from using the "f" word. Not in the form of an order, but a polite request. In days past, before my last relapse, I was adamant about it. "If you don't like it, go find another meeting, or start one." Now, resigned to doing things differently, I have been critcized for it yet again. I don't live for confrontation today, as I once enjoyed, or thought I did. My sponsor told me if I felt it was the right thing to do, and he says it is, to continue with the request, and I plan to do so. God knows I didn't get to AA with "prim and proper" language skills. I understand this program to help me improve all areas of my life. Not looking for advice, as I've already received it. Just like to hear some comments and/or other views on the subject. Just glad to be here and be sober, and not sick as a dog today. Thank God and AA for that.

Hub
Camel

Postby Camel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Almost got a resentment 'cause nobody commented on this. :wink: Then, I found the topic, "Profanity", in the "AA Recovery", thread. Really liked all the comments on that topic. Think I'll use "Toast's", experience. Like in, "Can't you read the sign?"

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:49 pm

I didn't comment on it -- because I didn't. :lol: I just read it and thought "Yep. I relate to that! That's what I'd do too."
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Leana H. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 am

Doesn't bother me much when someone uses profanity at a meeting, except maybe the "F" bomb. But it depends how they use it, that would or would NOT offend me. 8) 8)
Leana H.

Foul Language

Postby lilotto » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I would have to agree with you that it just shows their IQ and a lack of respect for others but then it they have no respect for others they probably don't have any self respect. My home group meets upstairs in a church and we ask out of respect to be mindful of the surroundings. Not so much because it is a church but because many times the little old grandmas are down stairs preparing for church activities. I just cringe when some one jumps out there with no consideration for them. In fact it makes me wonder if they do or would tolerate such language in front of their grandma or mother. My guess is probably not. Of course what can one expect when dealing with people that have been inconsiderate of others because of their disease (no excuse)!

Good Luck with your endeavor. :D
lilotto

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Agree with you. If they have no respect for others it's a sign that they have no respect for themselves -- and their odds of achieving long-term sobriety is stacked against them without the willingness and efforts to change.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics