- Fellowship Trivia

Fellowship Trivia

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Fellowship Trivia

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:03 am

Fellowship Trivia

In AA Meetings, it's common to hear a lot of sharing about the Fellowship.

However, the Big Book specifically mentions two different Fellowships.

What are the two different Fellowships?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tina L. » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:36 am

is the other fellowship alanone? xoxoxo tina.
Tina L.

Postby blueangel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:18 am

hmmm just a stab in the dark.. but I would have to guess it's the fellowship in the meeting and the second is the crucial one that continues the other 23 hours in the day outside of the meeting. I think I actually rely on the 23 hours of fellowship outside the meetings more than the one hour meetings. Don't get me wrong, the meetings are crucial but the flow of communication and just normal interaction is really keeps this chick glued together. I can always tell when when my sponsor-friend is having a hidious day, when she calls me with 23 years of sobriety just to say that she has made a decision and that is she wants to die a sober member of alcoholics anonymous. I can't even count the times when there was always someone in AA there for me based on the 11th traditon of *principles over personalities* rather than "nah I don't like you so bother someone else". I am often amazed at how little people know about the 12 traditons with all that claimed sobriety. they concentrate so much on meetings and steps and never really look at that sign on the other side, that is what holds the fellowship together through everything, and even protects AA from the likes of bill himself as he said himself. :lol: Hmmm I started on fellowship and rambled on forever didn't I? :lol: God Bless and have a great 24 hours, Kay :D
blueangel

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:10 am

the fellowship of the Spirit???
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:50 pm

Congratulations PC! You got it!

The two different Fellowships that are specifically mentioned in the Big Book are:

The Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous (see page 94, 154, 162, Big Book)
and
The Fellowship of the Spirit (see page 164, Big Book)!
-------------------------------------

Near the beginning of the Big Book, I read about Dr. Silkworth writing much of the Phenomena of Craving for alcohol (Dr.'s Opinion) -- describing one of the factors in alcoholism, that makes it impossible for the alcoholic to resist the next drink. (Also see page 143, in regards to craving liquor.)

In Chapter 2, 3 & 4, and page 60, of How it Works, I learned, that for me, because of the particular type of alcoholic that I had become, human aid could not relieve my alcoholism... even the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous (which is human aid).

The Fellowship of AA, did and does help me to stay sober, and it does provide some of the relief that I need (most of the time).

However, the Fellowship of AA, doesn't provide me with all the relief, that I need all of the time, to stay sober all of the time, and to live happy, joyous and free.

When I was newly sober... sober sucked! That's why I drank! Not only could I not be happy and sober at the same time, being physically sober was miserable (to say the least)!

So, I applied the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous (the 12 Steps) to me and my life... which did provide all the relief that I needed all of the time, to stay sober, and to achieve being able to be happy and sober at the same time.

The longer I stay sober, I've noticed that I may be able to stay away from the Fellowship of AA, for a longer period of time, and still maintain a state of being physically sober... but, if I go for a day or two without the daily Program of Alcoholics Anonymous (the 12 Steps)... I rapidly become restless, irritable, discontented, depressed, feelings of guilt and remorse, and a strong inner feeling of personal inadequacy, combined with a feeling and thinking of "there has got to be more to life and I'm missing out on my share of it... and I want it now!" ... Symptoms that alcohol used to temporarily fix for me.

After I took the 12 Steps, and continued in practicing the 12 Steps, I entered the "Fellowship of the Spirit" and "the Fellowship of the Spirit" began treating my symptoms. Now, if I go a day without the Fellowship of the Spirit, the old symptoms pop up immediately.

My personal experience has taught me, that the Fellowship of the Spirit, for me... is not "just me and God as I understand God." I've tried it that way, and it didn't work for me. That's why just me and God alone, isn't enough. It's impossible for me to practice the 12 Steps alone.

For me, the "Fellowship of the Spirit" is... me, and God, as I understand God, and "others" who are also in the "Fellowship of the Spirit" and still "others" who are not yet in "Fellowship of the Spirit". I need all four of those components for me to stay in the Fellowship of the Spirit. If I remove any one of those components, I'm no longer in "Fellowship of the Spirit."

Below are a few references in the Big Book, that refers to my experience in better words than I can describe it myself:

"Still you may say: “But I will not have the benefit of
contact with you who write this book.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 pm

ty Mr BB, ... i a Mr BB jr. now, ... and Dallas, this was just what the doc ordered, if ya know what i mean :wink: and i know ya do, love you bro... ttus... PC
Rusty Zipper

A Picture

Postby 918gma » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:07 pm

I was at a meeting hall the other day where I saw a picture that describes what Dallas is saying.
In the picture there was a man sitting on a bed. He was in trousers and a tee shirt. Eyes hollow, hair a mess, unshaven. It seemed to me like I could actually smell the sweat coming from the the tangled bedding he was sitting on. A dresser a few feet away with a bottle on it completed his story at that point in his life. I knew where he was and what he was feeling. There were two other men in the picture healthy looking and well dressed sitting in chairs next to the bed. I was so moved by this picture that I couldn't even speak for a moment. I couldn't have been closer to these men if I had been in the picture with them, because in reality I was.
That to me described the fellowship of the spirit perfectly. It is real and tangible enough to feel if you really want it and seek it. 8)
918gma

man on the bed

Postby wareagle10 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 pm

I have heard that the "man on the bed" picture is a newcomer, I think his name was Joe (not really sure) and the two men are Bill and Bob. I seem to recall that the man closest to the nightstand was Bob, which means the other man in the chair is Bill W.
Yes it is moving. Whether we were sitting in a lonely room or crapped out in an alley in our own puke we do seem to identify with that picture, we have all been there at one time or another.

Good to see and read your posts, keep them coming, please.
Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Tina L. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:09 am

hi dallas. i got 2 lead the meeting last week and i used ur question as the topic. NO ONE got it right. at the end of the meeting i read your answer to them. some of them asked me to say thank you from them. so thank you from them and thank u from me 2. they want 2 know where you go 2 meets and if u will come and speak at the big speaker meeting. let me know so I can tell em. xoxoxo tina
Tina L.

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:53 am

Dallas, mabe Tina and I can start a Dallas Fan Club... ya know the kind from the 1950"s... the cheesy buttons, and the 9X12 glossys... Tina, you stick with Mr BB... all is as it should...xxoo ya Tina.. PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics