- How has AA helped you?

How has AA helped you?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun May 28, 2006 9:38 pm

ya know, to keep it as simple as can be.... "The Promises".......xxoo Z
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Sun May 28, 2006 10:22 pm

Glad I'm not a newcomer cruising through here reading this... "Promises" would only mean to me the things that I broke.

Care to share your experience with them? You know... like "how the are experienced by you personally"?

Then, if I was new... that might give me some hope or would explain what you were referring to. Know what I mean?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon May 29, 2006 1:23 am

" The Promises"

when we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.

They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

They will always materialize if we work for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84....

since last september, my life has been full of change... in recovery, i have three sponsee's, been chair'n 7 meetings a week, reaching out, and giveing back that was given to me... i have found a balance.... i am a part of the universe... can sit down with myself, and enjoy me... i no longer woory about tommorow, in fact, i do not worry... well most of the time.... that spiritual progress, not perfection... $$$ insecurities, they keep get tossed at me... soulution, when i dont get bog'd down with them, get hung up in the negatives, i have a clear head to be aware of opportunities, and you know what? .... they come... God does provide for me, through other people, and me... i take responsibility, wow, what a concept!... all my so called problems were of my own makeing... stumbleing blocks do occur, and i now have ways to deal with them... i look at the problem at hand, and find a soulution... ie; steps 1-3... my emotional insecurities are fading away, what did i ever realy have to be fearfull of?... ha, nothing... my past, shure i messed up, hurt a few, did damage... to people and things, i made amemds for then where be... i have a great positive attitude on life, others and me... things that used to baffle me... well hold on to that Pink Cloud Rusty... with out going in to the Oprah version... the love of my life picked up in late october... it started with some broken ribs... the result, she's dead. the Rat of addiction one... adversity, you bet..., i showed up for life, made my commitments, didn't fall on the self-pity bandwagon... have shown a number of people, new and old, that we can face the death of a loved one without picking up... the power of example we call it.. and dont think i'm saying this for any other reason other than to show that it works, when you work it... i am a big fan of destiny... this was my first recovery site, and will always be a major part of my recovery, and that Mr Big Book fell'a, Dallas... that Einstein fell'a said, time is a measure of change, well i'm being measured... because of time, i have not been around here much to share in lenght like i was remembered as doing... others may take that over... like a sponser and a sponsee.... never graduate, but move on... today, i was missing my Trish'y... Dallas jump started my ass... for what you may ask?... Gratitude... Gratitude that the promises are a part of my new sober, spiritual ass... the two fellowships... the fellowship of A.A., and the fellowship of the spirit... for that, i am gratefull... as was shown to me, Gratitude is the action part... i have taken lots of action in my three plus years... remaining teachable, and if my sponser cant get throught to me, it never seems to amaze me, Mr BB will... all good wishes, and yes Dallas, give only love, i cant teach it... happy trudgeing everyone, xxoo, Rusty :wink: ohoh, one more thing... i do have a life beyond my wildest hopes, possibilities, and dreams
Rusty Zipper

Postby JR » Mon May 29, 2006 1:34 am

PC, as always, thanks for sharing. You are a beautiful human being. I don't know what else to say, but thank you for being you!!!!

XOXOXO,

Jr
JR

Postby Dallas » Mon May 29, 2006 3:05 am

Hey... you sound like the PC that I used to know!!!!

Thanks Rusty. Great job of sharing! Makes me admire what you've got! I know many of the things that you've been through, and it has been an awesome experience watching you trudge the road of happy destiny... clean and sober... and reaching out to help others!!!!

Mighty glad to know you!!! It works -- you're living proof!

Dallas :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

What has AA done for me

Postby JR » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:22 am

The AA way of life has given me many things, but I would just like to write about one for now. AA gave me One Day At A Time. Today is the only day that belongs to me. The past is gone and tomorrow may never come. The idea of one day at a time is encompassed in the part of the Lord's prayer "give us this day our daily bread" we are asking that God give us enough grace and strength to take care of whatever the day brings. One day at a time along with the serenity prayer gives me a way of living that is simple and direct. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. This prayer gets me through the day in the best possible attitude I could possibly have. It gives rise to a day of acceptance and courage and wisdom. This is the legacy that AA bestows upon its members.
AA has given me the ability to live one day at a time; sober, grateful, fully alive and content in the sufficiency of God's Grace. One day at a time has shown me the way to turn fear into trust, self-pity into gratitude, resentment into acceptance and dishonesty into honesty. This is the day that makes all the difference. This is the day that I must take the right actions, make the right decisions and think the right thoughts as layed out in the Big Book. For me, this day is over in a few minutes and a new one will begin. I am truly grateful for this day and all that it has given.

Things I am grateful for today: rain, birds of prey, walking on the beach.

XOXOXOX,

Jr
JR

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:51 pm

JR, Thank you for sharing.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

One day at a time

Postby wareagle10 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:23 pm

JR: That was great. I, too, believe in the one day at a time. FOR ME, it's the only way that I can properly function. If I get into the past or into the future, one filled with guilt and the other with fear, I might not be able to maintain myself and the balance that I need to continue with sobriety. Guilt took me into the bottle more times than I care to remember (but must) and fear does the same thing. Your message is very appropriate for me right now, I am having some apprehensions about possible future business considerations and with that comes the fear. I just need to back off and take things as they come, one day at a time, without projections.

Thanks for the timely message. Birds of prey, my favorites.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby JR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:51 pm

AA has helped me to develop an attitude of gratitude. I remember Grateful Dan would always say "What are you grateful for today?" whenever he heard anyone grumbling. I heard it so many times it is a natural reaction inside my head whenever I hear myself grumbling "What are you grateful for today?"

I've heard it said "there are no ordinary moments." This is the essence of gratitude. No moment, nothing in life, should be taken for granted. In practicing gratitude for every moment - for the simple joys and even the challenging times - I have come to truly enjoy and appreciate life. I am able to see the beauty and magic that surrounds me every second of every minute of every day. If I am not in an attitude of gratitude those moments are missed, but they are always there to realize if I choose to.

Practicing an attitude of gratitude has made me happier in general and more at peace. The more I practice, the more I notice throughout the day so many things for which to feel grateful. The greatest results come on days when I can feel grateful for difficulties and challenges which show me that everything can be used for my growth and development. Having gratitude unlocks the fullness and wonder of life.

My dad always used to say "if you don't appreciate what you have, you'll lose it." I believe that and I also believe that appreciating the people and things in my life has actually attracted more of the things I appreciate and value.

I am grateful that AA has taught me to be grateful. AA has taught me to develop and practice an attitude of gratitude. This attitude has created a life of order instead of chaos, a life of clarity rather than confusion, a life filled with blessings too many to count. But, count them I must or I would not be practicing this wonderful AA principle.

Albert Einstein said "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." I choose to believe everything is a miracle.

Things I am grateful for today: Sunrise over Mt. Ranier, meaningful work, step12.com.

XOXOXOX,

Jr
JR

Postby anniemac » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Wow, what great posts here! Thanks everyone.

AA introduced me to God. That in itself has been the most major shift in my life. I grew up without any religious training at all, the child of two "practical" folks who had no use for that mumbo-jumbo. They said they each did believe in God, but never once was the concept discussed. By the time I was a teen, I was certain that there was no God and that it was just a man-made crutch used by folks too weak to cope with life (unlike the alcohol and drugs I used as a crutch :wink: ).

Coming to believe in a power greater than myself, and striving to maintain conscious contact with my HP, has been the most powerful force in my life and immensely enlightening. Understanding that I am not the center of the Universe has relieved me of so much exhaustion - carrying the whole world on my back was quite tiring!

I have gained self-esteem, confidence, stick-to-it-iveness, loyalty, honesty, the ability to love and to be loved, the ability to ask for help, the knowledge that my way is not the only way, freedom from bondage of self and of alcohol, and also freedom to make decisions and to live life.

I have plenty of work to do on my character defects - although they have certainly lessened, and it takes more for them to kick in, they are still there and they trip me up frequently.

"Getting out of my head" is a big challenge for me; I want to analyze just about everything. I have a touch of OCD which contributes to that, but also difficulty in fully letting go.

I may not be who'd I like to be, but I'm much better than I was!!
anniemac

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics