- Worst Day Sober, best Day drunk

Worst Day Sober, best Day drunk

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Worst Day Sober, best Day drunk

Postby 918gma » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:29 am

That was the topic of the meeting I went to last night. What an awesome one it was. I've heard members say it, but *I guess it never sank in until last night.

No matter what happens, or when or where, none of it will improve at all by taking a drink. Not to mention that the problems are easier to solve with a clear head and an honest desire. Another gentleman said that each day is an opportunity to learn from our mistakes. A mistake learned from is not a mistake, but a valuable lesson. Sure beats beating myself up over them.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:21 am

Imagine that! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby wareagle10 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:39 am

If alcohol solved all our problems, there would be no one in the meetings!
I was never able to solve one problem with a drink, what I did do was add to the ones I already had. It was additive not subtactive for me.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

It's so true

Postby 918gma » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:36 am

Now my problems don't pile up any more. I work them out, or ask for help. Another novel concept. Thanks again
918gma

Postby anniemac » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:09 pm

:lol: Okay, may as well let you guys know how over-analytical I am, right off the bat here.

I have to say, that this expression is a good example of others that I hear at meetings, that kinda bug me. :oops:

The concept behind this expression is certainly admirable, and I have no qualms with that.

But honestly, truthfully?

I've had a few really really bad days in sobriety and I had many very good days in active alcoholism.

Would I trade sobriety for those good days? Absolutely not. My bad days are not at all worth giving up my wonderful life in sobriety.

However, the statement just ain't true for me in the literal sense. My worst day sober was not better than my best day drunk.
:shock:

Am I too literal?? :D
anniemac

over-analytical

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:27 pm

Hey Anne,

Gee. I feel like I'm not alone anymore! I'm an over-analytical type, also. :wink:

I never could figure out what the actual statement or topic was on this one. :oops: Imagine that! :wink:

I like to figure out things. I'm a figure-outer type, also. But, I still haven't figured out this one, yet.

If I can "keep it in today"... I'm doing good. For me, every day is a good day.... and some are better than others.

I sure do relate to having had some good drinking days... and months, and years... and now I can relate to having some good sober days... and months, and years. And, I had a few bad sober and drunk days... but I can't seem to remember much about the bad ones. To remember them takes a lot of thinking effort for me.

The bad sober days that I do remember so well.... were the early days of getting sober!!!!

Geez! Getting sober... was so painful that I thought it would kill me! I never want to have any more of those kinds of days!

Now, when my days aren't going real well... I can always track it back to the last day that I neglected to do my daily Steps.

I still don't know what the topic is here... :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Buck V » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:36 pm

Annie,

I guess you've got to weigh the balance. If I had a good day while drinking, great. If I had a bad day while drinking, watch out. If I have a good day in sobriety, I thank my HP. If I have a bad day, I can deal with it.

Buck
Buck V

The whole picture

Postby 918gma » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:12 am

I guess for me, it's a whole picture thing. I was never a happy drunk. I had no concept of what happiness meant. I still struggle with it on some days. The difference is today, I have a gratitude list. I have people in my life that wouldn't be there if I was still drinking. I have happy days, or at least moments. Times when every thing I am doing and going through are just crystal clear. I still have the bad ones. But they are shorter, easier to handle. When I was drinking every problem, every issue was a mountain that was out to destroy me.
918gma

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics