- Self Centeredness is the Root Cause

Self Centeredness is the Root Cause

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Self Centeredness is the Root Cause

Postby Woodstock » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:34 am

My heart is crying today.

I found out this afternoon a member of our AA fellowship has fallen on the broad highway - Dave K. 39 yoa, committed suicide on Father's Day.

He was a nice guy who always sought me at a meeting to talk. We had a lot in common, to include an allergy to alcohol, and inflated Egos bent on self destruction. Dave came back to be with the herd just after I did and he was struggling.

I remember one of the last things he said to me a few months ago.....He said he thought his mind was like dirty water in a glass and if he kept filling the glass with knowledge eventually the dirty water would be replaced by clean water. He was trying to reprogram his mind with motivational literature and tapes.

Dave was unable or unwilling to take step one 100% and do what we did to get and stay sober.

Life truly does move on. Here is an example.......

During the period of time my sponcee was taking his 5th step with me, Dave K. was on the other side of town sitting naked and alone in his mothers house contemplating and committing suicide by electrocution. While one AA member was entering the world of the spirit and beginning to feel the nearness of his creator, the other was separated from his creator, hidden from the sunlight of the spirit and trying to quiet his pain. (Damn, tears are welling up in my eyes) sigh.

I feel so grateful for having been able to seize upon a second chance to be near the God of my understanding and able to grow in his spirit and recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body, one day at a time.

The simple fact is not everyone is constitutionally capable of being honest with themselves. The basic principles of honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness are out of reach of many people who simply haven't received the gift of desperation, as I and many others have.

I bless everyone who has taken the time to read the ramblings of a Grateful, recovered alcoholic, and may you all live a healthy, prosperous, and happy life - one 24 hours at a time.

Love,

Woodstock
Woodstock

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:37 am

Woodstock, thank you for sharing your experience, strength and hope with us.. Listening to someone share the experience that you've just shared helps me, and I'm sure it will help the countless others who will read it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

thank u

Postby Tina L. » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:15 am

thank u for sharing woodstock. i hope u are ok. that was a sad experience. i like it when u share.

tina xoxoxo
Tina L.

Postby Tina L. » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:02 pm

my friend and me listned to a casset tape of dallas speaking and u said somthing that power and control was the root. can u tell me more.

tina xoxo
Tina L.

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Hey Tina! Great to hear from you -- finally. I'm glad that you found a few special moments in your busy life -- that you could come and visit and share with us. You need to check in once in a while -- so that I know if the stuff I hear about you is true or not!!! :lol:

Do yourself a favor -- and stop listening to those old tapes! Burn them! :lol: Just joking! :wink: It might hurt my feelings if you did that. I might be aging but I'm still sensitive. :cry: Just don't tell me -- if someone listened to an old talk that I gave -- and it drove them back to drinking!!! :lol:

I'll send you a PM on this one rather than distract from the thread.

How are the beach meetings? Gees........ I can remember when I used to go to those. We would have the beach meeting and then play and walk around the boardwalk -- eating hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, churros, and all that junk that was junk food! :lol: Buy a bunch of those cheap sun glasses and go home to nurse our sun burns. :lol:

Don't stay away so long. I'll take it personal! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics