- Big Book Meeting Topic: ACCEPTANCE

Big Book Meeting Topic: ACCEPTANCE

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Big Book Meeting Topic: ACCEPTANCE

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Big Book Meeting Topic: ACCEPTANCE page 14

I’ve often heard that familiar cliche of “acceptance is the answer for all my problemsâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:40 pm

Ok, Dallas, I will try to keep Dr. Paul's influence out of this....but I have two of his books and 7 of his speaker tapes, so I may be unconsciously guided by his Spirit :lol: .

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the 3 A's - Awareness, Acceptance, Action. I have a hard time getting in to Action if I don't first Accept (Own) what's mine (and I can't Accept/Own it if I'm not aware of it). So, to me, Acceptance is knowing that "it is what it is" - taking an objective stock of a situation, defect, whatever it is. Acceptance is, to me, not fighting Reality. Acceptance does not mean Approval.

Even if it is something that I need to change, I have to accept it first. To me, the opposite of acceptance is denial. If I am in denial, I am not going to be able to make any changes.

I once heard someone say "The pain is in the resistence." That was one of the most profound things I heard in recovery. It is only when I resist reality that I hurt. When I am able to Accept life on life's terms, I am at peace.

I doubt any of this ties in with the quote in your post, so let's see if I can get to that. I guess for me, in that regard, acceptance is full integration of the belief. Not in theory, but in reality.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:19 am

That was great Ann! Thanks for the share!

I hope that because I had requested to try to keep Dr. Paul's story aside... it didn't appear that I might have any hang-ups with Dr. Paul or his story. Quite the opposite. I had the privilege of knowing Dr. Paul, and talking long hours with him on numerous occasions while he was with us. He was a great A.A. and it's awesome that his experience, strength, hope, wisdom, stories, talks and his example is still with us. He helped me immensely, and for that, I’ll always be grateful.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:20 pm

Oh, how cool that you knew Dr. Paul ~ I really connect with his style. His sense of humor can pull me out of the pits in a heartbeat and his words of wisdom have made many AA concepts so much more real for me. I'm careful to not idolize him or put him on a pedistal; yet he really resonates with me.

Sounds like you've lived a pretty blessed life, Dallas!

Are you, by any chance, a circuit speaker? Now and then I get that nudging feeling in the back of my head that you are.....
anniemac

acceptable

Postby musicmode » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 pm

My name is Anne 8) , I'm an alcoholic,

What's unacceptable to me is the way things go when I gotta have it my way. I get all bent outta shape cuz somethin's not goin' accordin' to my plan & design. I git thinkin'...what...my way's not good enough? Git feelin' pushed aside & sorry for myself...leads to resentments...& to a very dark place. Accept life on life's terms grants me a peace & serenity that's far easier to swallow. How do I know that that red light ain't turnin' cuz somewhere up the road a-ways, some moron's drivin' like a maniac. We don't know what God knows...so go w/ God's will & way...we just might live long enough to appreciate the difference.

Peace,
Anne 8)
musicmode

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics