- What a miracle!

What a miracle!

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

What a miracle!

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:25 pm

As I was doing my morning 10th & 11th Step, I was reading on pages 84, 85, of the Big Book, this morning, and I had one of those really fuzzy-type of good feelings come over me as I realized what an awesome gift that I’ve been given through Alcoholics Anonymous.

What a miracle! If physical sobriety was all that Alcoholics Anonymous offered, that in itself would be enough for me. But, I’ve been given so much more! And, me and my life keep getting better and better and better and better, as a result of Alcoholics Anonymous. Sometimes it feels so good, that it seems like some kind of Spiritual Drug from another realm of Life. And, what’s so incredible to me, is that I do not have to leave the house, go anywhere, or buy anything to get it. I simply open my Big Book, follow my daily instructions in the book, and Bingo!, automatically, the good feelings rush in! And, what a rush that is!

Non-alcoholics, or others who do not have the benefit of the Big Book and 12 Steps, and are not under the lash of a disease like alcoholism, and are not forced to do these simple things, just to survive, would never comprehend what I mean without thinking I’d just gone over the deep end and was just plain nuts! It’s like a peace and joy and happiness that passes all understanding.

As I was reading page 84, I reflected on “And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality-safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

Imagine that! “ceased fighting anything or anyone…. For by this time sanity will have returned… We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically…. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality-safe and protected… Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics