- What do you think?

What do you think?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby anniemac » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi Dallas ~ not trying to push, just curious as to what you had never looked at "that way"? Not sure what you were referring to.....the men/women thing or the acceptance thing or the powerless thing? Just curious (and love to hear your thoughts)....
anniemac

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:27 am

Acceptance...'flat tire',

What I've come to understand is, that the more I work this program, in turn, the program works for me--without conscious thought or effort. What may have at one time sent debris flying over my shoulder, I now seem to keep moving forward thru the situation without so much as a ruffle of a feather. Only after the fact, do I back away and go...wow! I'd asked God to remove 'this', I wonder when He actually did? In my sleep? While I was mowing the lawn? When? Doesn't matter...because it's seldom about the 'flat tire'...it's about (for me)...did I do my daily work today? Did I ask God for His help, today...for acceptance...today? Or...did I jump out of bed and hit the deck a-runnin' like Fred Flintstone? Do I still send debris flying? Wellll :oops: ...when the stress piles up, I haven't had any contact, with God, or anybody else in the program for that matter...yaaa...it can all come crashing down like wallpaper that's been put up with scotch tape. I know, today, though...the cause of such occurances. It's not what I, or anyone else has done...in fact...it's what I havent done that's made unmanagability pick up speed.

That's it in a nutshell--for what it's worth :wink:
Thanks for lettin' me share, and I wish you all another 24.

Take It Easy,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Hey Anne!!! Nice to see you checking in and to hear from you!!!

musicmode wrote:I know, today, though...the cause of such occurances. It's not what I, or anyone else has done...in fact...it's what I havent done that's made unmanagability pick up speed.

So profound and true!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:46 am

Yip, yip, yip...I's still here. Working at moving, settling house deals, keeping up with kids, and starting my days with the daily program. I know today, for sure...I can't get thru life without the daily program of AA. Life isn't a journey lately...it's more like a roller coaster ride...and yes..what a 'rush' it's been. I'll tell ya when I get to the other side of this particular ride what kind of a wave it's truly been :twisted: .

Later kids,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Molly M. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:34 am

Hey Dallas;

I think I had one of those moments of clarity coming home from my meeting tonight. During the meeting one of our members was talking about her recovery being a series of deeper stages of surrender as she applied the "principles in all of her affairs". During the hour drive back to my house, I have plenty of time to think and I began to wonder if the point you've been making has to do with levels of surrender. If a person in recovery has truly turned his or her "will and lives over to the care of God" then there is no need to try and find acceptance around people, places and things, there is only a need to act on each situation as it arises. Perhaps having to find acceptance around people, places and things is an indication of an incomplete 3rd step?

Anyway, is this sort of along the lines of what you've been saying? Remember, I'm only 9 so I need things kind of broken down to a third grade level :roll: :oops: :D

Thanks much,

Molly
Molly M.

Turn our will and life over to God as we understand Him

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Molly! Great to hear from you!

Moments of clarity :wink: They keep me amazed!

Steps 1 through 9 is "how" we turn our will and lives over to God. To continue practicing those Steps through Steps 10 through 12 -- and, our helping others to take those Steps (which causes us to continually re-visit those Steps for ourselves) -- it continues to take us to a more thorough "surrender" and continues to remove other things in our lives that block us from being like we were created to be.

I've heard of, and read about -- a Spiritual Teacher, who many years ago tried to explain it with something like "I am the vine and you are the branches." And, he said in another way, something like "Every good tree brings forth good fruit."

My understanding of things like peace of mind, patience, love, tolerance, serenity, acceptance, joy -- and more -- are like the fruits that grow on the tree or that grow on the branches of the vine.

On page 99, in the 12 & 12, Bill quoted a prayer... and when he did, he quoted it different than other ways that I've seen the prayer... He wrote: "Lord, make me a channel of thy peace --" and continued the prayer as though the actions and desires are flowing through "a channel". (Other versions of the prayer seem to say "instrument of")... but, Bill's way gives me a simple and different way to look at it.

A channel is something -- that stuff flows through.... and flows out of.

The things that are inside me that are blocking me -- are blocking my channel. And, if I remove the things that are blocking the channel -- then, good stuff -- that's already inside me -- can begin to flow out -- to those around me. Kind of like -- "if this God thing is already inside me -- then, how the heck do I begin to let it flow out of me?" (Kind of like, in the back of the BB, where it refers to an "inner resource" that was inside us all the time).

Self-searching and self-analysis (Steps 10 & 11) -- reveal what's flowing out of me. It shows me what's coming out of my channel and it gives me tools so that I can clean it out and adjust the flow!

If we are removing the things that block us (by using the 12 Steps) the fruit will automatically grow in our lives -- and flow in and out and through us -- and we don't have to go looking for it -- or go trying to get it. That's the miracle of it!

An old-timer named Chuck C. used to say "what you're looking for -- you are looking with." And, that the process was to "uncover, discover and discard" -- the things in ourselves that are blocking us from experiencing what we are looking for.

This is the same thing as saying "The Spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it." -- and not saying "We have to get it!" -- If we live it -- we get it. :wink: And, when we live it -- we got it! :wink: And, we experience it by using it.

For the more psychological minded folks -- who prefer not to discuss it as something "spiritual" (and that's okay, too) -- the Appendix in the back of the book "Spiritual Experience" explains it as -- a transformation that takes place in our personality -- a change in our thoughts, attitudes and actions -- that allows us to recover. And, it appears, that most often, those changes are incremental. Sometimes -- some of our members experience rapid changes in their mental and emotional displacements -- (kind of like Bill W.'s white light experience) -- and, even when they do experience them rapidly -- further growth and changes seems to come slowly -- over time.

Acceptance does figure in to the surrender. Bill writes of this on the first page of Step 1, in the 12 & 12 (I think, page 21) -- when he writes something like "We know that little good can come to any alcoholic who joins A.A. unless he has first accepted his devastating weakness and all its consequences." -- That comes as a result of our being convinced in and to ourselves - that we have become alcoholic, and on our own power -- we are powerless to stay sober and recover. The humiliation that produces humility.

That moment of clarity! :lol: I guess it doesn't matter how I got my "moment of clarity" ... whether I produced it myself by "getting it" or -- it was an act of Providence, and was given to me -- as long as I got it! :lol: For me, if it wasn't a "God-thing" it was certainly an "Odd-thing"! :wink:

Step 1, begins the process of smashing our Ego, and each of the additional Steps continue to smash it -- until it gets it "right-sized".... and once it get's right-sized -- (if we keep it that way) -- we begin to experience the natural "fruits of sobriety" or "fruits of the spiritual way of life."

Surrender. Surrendered. Surrendering. :wink: Kind of like recover, recovered and recovering ... it's a process that continues for a lifetime -- and it's why I continue with "the steps we took" and keep taking them -- and, going to meetings -- reminding myself of why it's necessary to keep taking them! :wink:

Gee Molly!!! It sure took me a lot of wind to get to that last paragraph! :oops:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Molly M. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks Dallas,

Recovery is a really weird process. There I am going along feeling pretty good about my program but not so good about life :roll: :oops: and then bam :shock: Oh that's why I'm not feeling so good about life, I need to look at my recovery.

I think I'm going to be going back through the steps again with what is hopefully a deeper understanding.

Thanks again,
Molly M.
Molly M.

Postby anniemac » Tue May 01, 2007 5:34 pm

Yup, that makes sense to me, Molly ~ I've frequently "worried" that I really haven't "gotten" Step 3. I said in another post: "Turning my will and my life over to God as it pertains to my emotional disturbance is all about my acceptance." At this point in my recovery, I have not permanently turned my will and my life over to God. It's a continual thing for me. I turn it over, I pull it back. When I have turned it over, and before I've pulled it back, I don't have to work at Acceptance - it's there. It's when I disconnect from the Source that problems occur.

Me thinks we're all saying the same thing, differently.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon May 07, 2007 10:25 am

One of the greatest gifts that I’ve received through my journey and adventures in Life in Recovery – is the gift of being able to change my mind.

I often refer to a sentence at the bottom of page 58, of the Big Book, as being an indispensable tool to happiness, effectiveness and understanding – and that sentence is “Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Molly M. » Mon May 07, 2007 11:43 am

Hey Dallas;

Whatever is going on my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs,
Molly
Molly M.

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics