- Anyone out there Ride?

Anyone out there Ride?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Anyone out there Ride?

Postby Dimples » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi My name is Paula aka Dimples and I'm an alcoholic. I have been drinking hard liquor for 30 years and I'm only 44...I am on my 14th day of sobriety and on my 5th hour of my sober day today. I'm starting this thread because one of my passions is riding. So there is no confussion I am talking about Motorcycles. I dont care if you ride a Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, suzuki, BMW, Indian...whatever. I love cruisin, I love the wind in my face and the freedom I feel when I'm out there. I do not ride my own (good thing too given my history) but I may one day, for now I am a back seat warmer. I'm looking for others who ride and like to attend events and looking for thoughts on how you felt at those events. Anyone who loves to ride and hang with others and who enjoys these events knows all too well what goes on. I dont want to stop going to these events and there are several comin up...So any thoughts out there?
Dimples

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi Paula,

I don't ride (picture me as a Big Wuss ~ too afraid to fall off! :shock: ), but I'd bet you're not the only sober biker out there.

I believe it's not in line with this site's policies for me to post a link for you, but if you do a Google search on "sober bikers" I think you'll find some organizations.

I was on the back of a bike once or twice, and I can relate to that feeling of the wind in your hair (and the bugs in your teeth :lol: ), but my fear was greater than my enjoyment. Glad you're not a fraidy-cat like me!
anniemac

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I just saw that you're in Florida ~ many many moons ago I stumbled in to the Boot Hill Saloon in Daytona Beach and spent a night being a biker-chick wannabe. I think I had fun; don't really recall :shock: :oops:
anniemac

Postby Dimples » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:20 pm

LOL Been there done that :twisted: Hey I never thought about the google thing and I'm the google queen! Thanks!!!
Dimples

Postby garden variety » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Well I wanted to post here. In this state of Ohio, I am licensed to kill myself on one of those 2-wheeled vehicles. I don't even need a helmet any more. I rode way back when - but I gave it up because I couldn't ride for crap sober.

I had this nice old bike but it had a junk starter, so I always needed to kick start. Now when I wasn't drinking, I'd always stall that thing out in first gear. So I'd have to set it on the stand and kick start. I did this so much I just got too tired of doing it, especially on hills, and it was too embarassing. Now today, I suppose I would have just replaced the starter - but you know how alcoholic thinking works - throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The other problem I had with riding is that when I was drunk, I could ride pretty good and wasn't scared of anything - even gravel and rain when it first starts - just the plain old idiot I was. And I didn't stall the bike ever. But I never remembered where I was, or how I got there, or how I got back either. I do remember gunshots once when I rode. It really is a miracle I'm alive to tell about it. So I blacked out and rode which was insanity. But Paula, I bet you never have done that, huh?

Let me throw out my least favorite words that I heard - those words that will kill your best drunk. "Walk the bike home." I bet you've never heard those words either have you? You have to know what a drag it is to walk those two-wheels and 600-800 pounds of steel a ways. I think the fartherst I ever walked that thing was almost a mile at 2AM - that time it wasn't even a cop that made me do it. I came out of a blackout and the bike was out of gas. So once again the alcoholic thinking kicks in - instead of parking the thing which I could have done easy and just walk home then drive back to get it gassed with a buddy. I walk the thing all the way home.

Well I guess you can see why I don't ride much anymore.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:05 am

Hey Paula,

Here are a couple of events that you may be interested in --

June 22, 23 and 24, 2007
M.M.A.A.C. 7
Emerald Acres Campground
Pearl City, IL

"The Only Requirement Is A Desire To Stop Drinking Motorcycles Are Welcome But Not Required" -- The Midwest Motorcycle Alcoholics Anonymous Convention (MMAAC) is registered with, and recognized by the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services Inc. New York, NY. 10163 as an AA group in good standing

August 4 - 11, 2007 - Sturgis, South Dakota
2007 STURGIS MOTORCYCLE RACES & RALLY
Come and enjoy the 2007 edition of the Sturgis Races & Rally with "clean & sober" friends. Meetings every 3 hours starting at 8:00 AM, breakfast daily, BBQ & speaker meeting & 10th Annual Serenity Ride.

More info and links at: www.step12.com/aa-conventions/index.html

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dimples » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Very cool Dallas thank you very much!!
Dimples

Bike Groups

Postby Powerless Dee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi, Paula,

Also, if you google Clean and Sober Biker Groups, you get a lot of good info and groups!
Powerless Dee

Postby Dimples » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks Dee!!
Day 30!!! :D
Dimples

Congrats on 30

Postby Powerless Dee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Congratulations on 30 days, Paula! I'm at 22! Right behind you!

Dee

PS: We used to have a beautiful Harley FXR, custom painted, chromed out, drew attention and circles of people everywhere we went. It was stunning. I didn't drive...I just rode the back seat!
Powerless Dee

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics