- Anyone out there Ride?

Anyone out there Ride?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby DebbieV » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:46 pm

Happy Birthday Paula.

It's great that you are not giving up on things you love, if you are anythng like me you will find that things that were good for you while you were drinking, will be GREAT when sober. :D
Lets us know how your enjoying your new life riding. 8)

Deb
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Hey Dimples!!!!!!

Congrats on your 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep coming back!!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dimples » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Thank you!!! Wow 31 days today!! I feel so good about so many things!!
I am so thankful for so many things. Thanks again! and backatcha all!! Keep up the good work and congratulations on your own successful journy's!! You all rock!!

Here's something for discussion...
I am going to a picnic on the 3rd of July and afterwards a free concert in the park (the Outlaws are playin) it will be about 5 to 8 of us/ 4 - 5 bikes.
My boyfriend and bestfriend are both sober. (Both drink but not to excess and have voluntarily decided to NOT consume whenever I am involved, which is often. Them saying that my company is more inportant and more fun than any beer they would drink...awwwww - gotta love em).
I'm getting a tremendous amount of flack from my home group and my sponser because I am going to this concert and picnic BECAUSE there will be people there drinking. I feel ok with it, especially since I have the support of my BF and GF that we can leave if I feel the least bit uncomfortable. Three of the people I will be with are non drinkers and support me in my efforts to remain sober. ALL three have told me that we will leave if I get antsy, all three are occassional drinkers at most, abstaining out of respect for me. I feel completely and totally ok with this situation and BUT I am be treated like I am jumping off a bridge to an ocean filled with alochol. My sponser going so far as to say that I have forgotten what brought me here!! I REMEMBER VERY WELL WHAT BROUGHT ME THROUGH THESE DOORS! Am I delusional? Are they right?? Am I placing my self in harms way? Is being an alcoholic mean NEVER being around any function ever again wher I might be exposed to drink?? I am a closet/blackout drinker. I am MOST vunerable when I am alone...NOT in the company of others...
Let me have it!! What are your thoughts??
Dimples

Postby anniemac » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Hey Dimples,

Way to go on 31 days!!! I remember the Outlaws....I think. Memory's kinda fuzzy, but when I think of them I think of Molly Hatchett -- am I thinking along the proper lines there? Geez, it hurts my head when I try to remember too far back. :shock:

Anyway, for the picnic and concert - it's a very individual thing, in my book. No, sobriety does not mean that you can NEVER be around alcohol, the BB states that.

Is it risky to be around it with one month sober? It could be. I can't say, I'm not in your head.

My experience is, when I was around alcohol in the early days, the threat was not that I was going to drink at that particular event. However, the insidiousness of this disease worked on me, under the surface, and a few days or weeks later, I was all squirrelly in my head, because the Itty Bitty Sh*tty Committee in my head had been meeting and plotting without my knowledge since that event where I was around alcohol.

So, I learned early on, that for ME, it was not a good idea to be around alcohol for a year or so. I didn't even eat in restaurants for the first year.

Last summer, after being sober 4 years, I went to an outdoor concert - festival-style, and there was drinking and pot-smoking galore...and I had to whip out my cell phone and make some calls because man, the party atmosphere was looking good.

Cunning, baffling, powerful - I need to always remember that.
anniemac

Postby Dimples » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:10 pm

anniemac wrote:My experience is, when I was around alcohol in the early days, the threat was not that I was going to drink at that particular event. However, the insidiousness of this disease worked on me, under the surface, and a few days or weeks later, I was all squirrelly in my head, because the Itty Bitty Sh*tty Committee in my head had been meeting and plotting without my knowledge since that event where I was around alcohol.

anniemac wrote:Cunning, baffling, powerful - I need to always remember that.

This made more sense to me than all their harsh chastising (did I spell that right) ONE guy actually told me that I didn't even have the right to THINK at this early stage and while he may believe that to be true, his presentation did not make me in the least receptive to what he had to say...

I will give your words much thought. Thank you very much for your feedback...

anniemac wrote:Cunning, baffling, powerful - I need to always remember that.

I agree with this...
xo
P
Dimples

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:44 am

I'm going to get me a picture of a Harley -- and a desk fan -- and turn my fan on high-speed -- and close my eyes -- and then imagine that I'm riding the Harley!!!
:lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dimples » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Dallas wrote:I'm going to get me a picture of a Harley -- and a desk fan -- and turn my fan on high-speed -- and close my eyes -- and then imagine that I'm riding the Harley!!!
:lol: :lol:

Dallas

NOW that's a visual!!!!
:wink:
Keep the rubber side down!!
and keep comin back!!

Dallas you Rock!

Have a happy, safe and sober holiday!!
xoxo
P
Dimples

Postby garden variety » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Dimples wrote:Here's something for discussion...
I am going to a picnic on the 3rd of July and afterwards a free concert in the park (the Outlaws are playin) it will be about 5 to 8 of us/ 4 - 5 bikes.

I'm getting a tremendous amount of flack from my home group and my sponser because I am going to this concert and picnic BECAUSE there will be people there drinking. I feel ok with it, especially since I have the support of my BF and GF that we can leave if I feel the least bit uncomfortable.

I feel completely and totally ok with this situation and BUT I am be treated like I am jumping off a bridge to an ocean filled with alochol. My sponser going so far as to say that I have forgotten what brought me here!!

Am I delusional? Are they right?? Am I placing my self in harms way?

Lots of stuff to consider here Paula.

I LOVE the Outlaws! Free concert outside? Where?

Big problem number one: It's the July 4th weekend - A BIG BIG holiday where lots of good people relapse. You watch at how many go back out.

Big problem number two: Am I delsional? With only a month, probably. There is more of your "self-centered" side invested in this event than there is of your sober side. You haven't got through the steps so Sober Dimples is just an "infant" right now and can't have much to say because she doesn't know what to say yet. But self-centered biker Paula surely has a lot to say and "grind" about. Now I'm not putting you down girlfriend - just keep these things in mind and try to be honest, open minded, and willing to understand.

Big problem number three: You don't have a backup plan. You don't have an escape route just in case. Its like going to a wedding reception. If you get there first, your car (or bike) gets blocked in. Or if you go with somebody and they accidentally indulge which is possible, your way back is now closed off. What do you do - hitchike? Your sobriety can't depend on your boyfriend or your best friend. That's too much responsibility to put on another human being.

My suggestion is also, don't go unless your sponsor or a good handfull of other AA's go too. If you do go, be sure you have a workable escape plan to the detail and don't rely on others to get you out. Also, bring your phone numbers and call your AA friends every hour or two letting them know you're OK. Call your sponsor when you get home. Your group and support folks care about you and deserve to be kept up to date.

Yes you are putting yourself in harms way if you go. Your sponsor and home group see it, and so do I. Annie made a very good point earlier. So if you choose to put yourself in harms way, make sure you have a few working safety valves to slide out of there on your own. And stay accountable. And don't forget to PRAY about it!
garden variety

Postby Dimples » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for your feed back. I have decided NOT to go the picnic but am still going to the concert (Clearwater, Fl). Going with a sober friend (BF is out of the picture for personal reasons). Its really within walking distance of my home so worst case scenario I walk home if I have to. I will not drink at this event, its NOT an option for me...
Dimples

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Enjoy the show, Paula ~ green grass and high tides forever! :D
anniemac

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics