- More important to be happy – than it is to be right!

More important to be happy – than it is to be right!

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:43 pm

A sober A.A. friend, Bob. F., who was married to an Al-Anon, Ellen F., --- shared with me one of the most important lessons that I’ve ever learned in life!

It is:

Bob F.
It’s more important to be happy – than it is to be right!

I remember arguing with Bob, trying to get it through his thick skull that he had it all wrong! Bob, had been sober much longer than I had been sober – and, evidently that A.A.-stupid bug had bit him! Back then, I was pretty smart! That was before the stupid-bug bit me!

I would say – “Bob, there is no way that I could ever achieve lasting happiness in life, and there is no way that I could ever be happy – if I was right about something – and I had to act like I wasn’t right!â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:47 pm

This is great Dallas!

I heard a corollary to this at a meeting one time:

The other person doesn't have to be wrong for you to be right

This was a revelation to me -- I never considered the fact that others could be right, too! :lol:
carol1017

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing - "The other person doesn't have to be wrong for you to be right" I've either heard that, or something similar, that means the same idea. I'm glad you posted it -- if you or anyone else can thinks of any others -- I hope you'll share it.

Can you imagine -- it took me a whole two years of processing a simple idea to figure it out -- and that was sober!!! :lol: :lol:

That's embarrassing!

And, maybe I'm making some progress in another area, too. I was willing to admit that I was three years sober when I first heard the idea, and five years sober to finally get it! :lol: It would have been so much more face-saving for me to just say "when I was real new in A.A.".... :lol:

One of these days -- I might screw up and accidently catch some humility! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

I tell you I remind myself of that one

Postby Vickie V » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:34 pm

My husband and I were seeing a marriage counselor about ten years ago and the counselor would say "you both are 100% rightâ€
Vickie V

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:56 pm

Nice to see you again, Vicki!

Thanks for sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics