Dallas, you made me blush :oops:
carol1017

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

I hope it was in a good way. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby littlemiss » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Dallas,

Thank you...I took your advice (better be careful for what I wish for, huh?) LOL!!!!! Carol is helping me out... :D This is exactly what I need...someone to TELL ME TO GO DO X...& help me find THE PATH...

Um, I took the 20 ?'s thingee & I answered *YES* to 10!!!!!!
Ahem....Just a wee-bit-alcoholic, eh?

Ay-Yi-Yi!!!!!
littlemiss

Postby anniemac » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 am

Good for you, Ann Marie, taking suggestions and taking action! Something tells me that Carol will be a wonderful addition to your sobriety.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 am

Congratulations Littlemiss!!!!

That's wonderful!!!!

I had tried so hard ... on my own ... without asking, or receiving help from anyone else --- and, I continued to fail over and over and over again.

Once I did start following suggestions I started to get better and better and better. It got so good -- that it made me start asking for more suggestions and I became more than willing to take action on them. And, even today, that's how I keep it good.

One day, when I was thinking of how much easier my life was getting and how much better it was getting as a result of getting help, rather than trying to solve my problems on my own -- I thought, "why in the heck did I wait so long to start doing this? Life is so much easier and better when I reach out and ask and allow someone to help me!" As I look back -- I can see that it was always "my head" (my thinking) that kept me in trouble and kept me from getting help. By receiving help -- it began to change my thinking. :wink:

I also think that you're pretty lucky to hook up with Carol! It will be good for you and for her!

Wishing you both the best!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby chuckc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Hey Debbie,

I like to say that one of the loneliest places on earth has to be between the last drink and the 5th step. All that baggage to carry around, and no more "escape button." I told my sponsor that if I didn't do a 4th and 5th step, I KNEW it was only a matter of time before I drank. Not if, but when.

As far as what's a good timeframe for doing the steps, I think Dr. Bob and Sr. Ignatia had some good "rehab" ideas, especially when she helped run Rosary Hall in Cleveland. Back then the hospitalization "plan" ran just 5 days.

I've always enjoyed Gerard E. Sherry's article, "SISTER IGNATIA AND ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS." In it, he says that she had special names for each of the five days a patient spent at Rosary Hall. They were: Day of Reception; Day of Realization; Day of Moral Inventory; Day of Resolution; and Day of Plans for the Future.

I might be wrong, but those last 4 sure sound like "steps" to me, at least the original versions. I'm not saying that 5 days is the right recipe, but to delay any longer than necessary deprives one of the true "joy" that's readily available through a good program. That's the "juice"...

I tell my guys that the 12 steps of AA will be the absolutely greatest gift they will ever give themselves...
chuckc

Postby DebbieV » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for coming back to the form and participating. Sounds like you have a lot of great things to share.

Chuckc Wrote:
I like to say that one of the loneliest places on earth has to be between the last drink and the 5th step. All that baggage to carry around, and no more "escape button." I told my sponsor that if I didn't do a 4th and 5th step, I KNEW it was only a matter of time before I drank. Not if, but when

I couldn't agree with you more, I remember when I was about a month sober, I kept going back and forth on 1-3, I was stuck. I knew in my heart that if I didn't get onto 4 and through the rest I was going to die. Not in a 'drama-queen' going to die. I would go back out and drink and for me, that was to die. I was so lucky to have a sponsor who believed (still does) how the pioneers of this wonderful program we have to day did it, and I was through my steps in two days. I believe today that saved my life. I believe I am sober today because my first sponsor took my butt through the steps as fast as possible. And I will always sponsor the same way I was taught. Take the steps if you want a chance at staying sober and living a happy, joyous and free life. I do today, and I know it is because of the way I was taught, not only to take the step soon, but work them everyday of my life.

Debbie
DebbieV

Previous

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics