- How to have a good day

How to have a good day

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby DebbieV » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:35 am

I love all the post on this topic.....

All of this has been in my heart for about two weeks now.... and as I see it play out on here, I have also had it play out in my life.

Two weeks ago I was sharing in a meeting that all was great in the land of Debbie. Doing service work, looking for a job (after 7 years of being told I couldn't work because of a mental illness that seemed to have vanished when I stopped drinking and doing and applying the steps :roll: )Helping others, getting along with my son, like never before, not paralyzed with fear over finances anymore....everything I could ask for and more.
My life was at a point of pure peace....BUT, something was nagging inside.
And what hit me in that meeting was I had not surrendered all...
I surrendered the alcohol, and things that were disturbing me, but at a time when all was great in Debbie land, I wasn't surrendering.....
It took a few more meetings, and some other things, but I finally did what I needed to be doing along time ago...Surrender all of me GOOD and BAD.
I can't begin to explain what happened and what it feels like now (I bet I don't have to explain to a few of you :wink: )
I have this peace inside...
Man, we toss that word around lightly, well, I do.
Talk about the Forth Dimension. Can I just say WOW.
This is a peace I have never felt or even thought was possible.
Paul, you said someplace, and I'm paraphrasing here: Everything is not going to BE ok, everything IS ok.
You nailed it, that is the feeling.
I don't have to worry or obsess (God I obsess, nasty obsessions)
I know, not think or feel, I KNOW that God is in control, that He is doing His will and everything is just as it should be in my life...even when it isn't going the way I want it too, it is still just as it should be.
The action or reaction to that is up to me. I decide how insane, obsessed, disturbed etc... my life is.

I love this program more and more everyday....

How smart and simple is that one thing in step 2 'We came to believe'?
I am coming to believe everyday more and more...I think it will continue to have more in depth meaning, as I trudge this road of happy destiny.
But, I am ever so grateful I stayed around to trudge. :D

Thanks you guys for sharing your experience, strength and hope....the positive threads, are so inspirational :D

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:30 pm

Thank you for the wonderful and beautiful message Debbie. Sounds like "whatever it is" is getting a hold on you, too! :wink:

Here are a few Kibbles and Bits that I've been chewing on lately:

1. When I surrender, to give up something that's "mine" -- He replaces it with His. I think that's cool -- because sometimes I'll want to hang on to "mine" because I think it's good -- but, when I give it up and He replaces it with His -- I get the best.

2. Self-will: Self-will is "I want."

Now, I've been instructed that I better be careful about my self-will (my "I Want" -- or it could kill be.... especially when it turns to "selfish."

Here's the predicament: "Have you ever tried to give up your want, by giving up your want -- because you want?" :lol:

I'll try it a different way: "I want to give up what I want by giving up what I want because I want."

Here's what I've been thinking: "If I give up what I want by giving up what I want because I want -- how can I be free of what I want?"

If you think that one's easy, try chewing on those Kibbles for a bit! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Dallas wrote:Here's what I've been thinking: "If I give up what I want by giving up what I want because I want -- how can I be free of what I want?"

If you think that one's easy, try chewing on those Kibbles for a bit!

Good God Dallas! Now I see why my sponsor tells me to "stop thinking" :roll:

:wink: (just kidding) :wink:

For me the simple answer to that is step 3. Right?

If I am asking God as I understand him to act as my "New Employer" or my "Director", I am leaving the outcome of "my want" in the hands of someone who will give me exactly what I need.

When I do step 3 the right way, then a miracle happens today. God doesn't give me what I want, but He gives me exactly what I need. Then when I get what I need, I reflect at the end of the day and I find out that what I needed was what I wanted all along. Imagine that? My will and my life, and my wants and my needs are in the hands of a Power without limits that Loves me without limits.

How could anyone want more? :?:
garden variety

Postby DebbieV » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:42 pm

Dallas Wrote:
Here's what I've been thinking: "If I give up what I want by giving up what I want because I want -- how can I be free of what I want?"

Let me see if I am following you on this. Are you saying give up what you want because you want it and get to the point that you don't want it, because you do want it? And wanting it is your will not Gods?

Kind of like Page 60 "Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show"

So, what if we could get to the point that not only do we surrender wanting to run the whole show, we really don't want to run the whole show, because in reality we do want to run the whole show but we can't.

Am I completly off base?

Debbie
DebbieV

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:48 pm

One almost needs one of those 'follow the bouncing ball' machines for these kinds of sentences :P :wink: .

It's been my experience that when I leave 'me' out of it...I 'want' something, boils down to 'my way'. When I let God as I understand Him have it, pray for what's best for all concerned. What happens is...the outcome may NOT be what I was hoping for...but BETTER. Sometimes, I gotta look up and ask: "okay...what? I trust ya, God...don't know where you're goin' with this...but I trust ya." In the end, I'll end up saying: OH!!! Wow...ya, ya...that was much better than what I wanted or had in mind. Thanks.

Let go and let God,
In the Spirit of the fellowship,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Debbie wrote:Let me see if I am following you on this. Are you saying give up what you want because you want it and get to the point that you don't want it, because you do want it? And wanting it is your will not Gods?

Nope. That's not it at all. I wish that were it! That would be real simple to figure out!
:lol:

Read and try, again. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Crap..

OK, give me some time I will figure out the mind of Dallas.

Don't laugh...It could happen. :D

Debbie
DebbieV

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 am

Can't wait to observe how this one plays out :wink: . I'm still trying to wrap my head around the wording :?
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:57 am

OK, give me some time I will figure out the mind of Dallas.

That's what God thought! And, He finally Let Go and Let Dallas!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:32 am

Dallas Wrote:
That's what God thought! And, He finally Let Go and Let Dallas!

No, you did not just say that........Your too funny.... :lol: :lol:

And if I had to venture a guess, none of us are ever going to find out the answer, or what I believe is a riddle are we?

See, this whole thread is called 'How to have a good day'.
Laugh, make fun of yourself, joke, enjoy life.....That is all part of how to have a good day. I love being sober and going to meetings after the meeting or come on here and laugh and have fun....That's the good stuff

And, thanks for sharing Dallas. :wink:

Debbie
Last edited by DebbieV on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DebbieV

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics