- Don't forget to charge yor batteries

Don't forget to charge yor batteries

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Don't forget to charge yor batteries

Postby 918gma » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:19 am

The past several weeks have been nothing shy of a tremendous challenge for me, that I would not have survived if it had not been for my friends in the program.

I just got back from a meeting. It was a small meeting. One of those where you look around the room and wonder why you bothered to come there were so few people there, but I despratly needed a meeting so i stayed. Thank God I did.

Our AA bateries need recharging regularly. They have to be, otherwise we get run down. That's where I was when I finally got my but to a meeting. My intentions were good I planed on going each day I missed, but life had other plans for me.

The reality of this is that we need to remember the challenge placed befor us when we first came into this program. To what length are we willing to go to maintain our sobiety. Our conscious contact with God. We need each other the way a plant needs water. Our friends in the program are as inmportant to our sobriety as the book itself. Who else is going to pull us out of ourselves and put us back on track. Talk about a moment of Clarity.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:00 pm

918gma wrote:We need each other the way a plant needs water

Imagine that!!! Well said!

I discovered a long time ago... that when I go to an AA meeting to plant seeds, or water, or just turn some soil, or help someone weed their garden of Life, that it charges my batteries big time.

However, when I go to an AA meeting to be watered, or to get weeded... I get a temporary boost... but it doesn't last very long after the meeting.

Using the metaphor: If I'm the water... my purpose in life is to water... not to be watered. And, without something to water, such as a plant... I'll just water all over myself! :lol:

I think this ties in with our AA Principle, described so well in the Big Book, "Our guiding principle becomes giving rather than receiving."

When I give.... I receive all that I need, and more!!!

When I take... I never get what I need, and I always end up lacking.

They are Spiritual Principles. If I need a meeting... I must go "give a meeting." If I need help... I must go to give help... and I'll get the help that I need... Not from the person that I helped... but it will come through the back door of my Life in ways that I do not expect.

That's why we also learn to give with no expectations of receiving.

It's all a Higher Power thing... and it works very well... when I use it.

About small meetings: I've gone to thousands of AA meetings... some wonderful meetings... and some that I hope I never attend again! Last night, two of us had a "meeting after the meeting" and it was one of the BEST meetings I've ever been to!

It only takes 2 to have a meeting! It only takes 2 to have a Group. And, it only takes 2 to stay sober, happy, joyous and free.

No... I don't mean "relationship wise" that it takes two... that's not what I mean at all.

I mean, that I must find another alcoholic to help... if I want to stay sober, happy, joyous and free.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity