- Turning it over

Turning it over

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Turning it over

Postby 918gma » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 am

There is much controversy about this topic it seems.

To me it means: An idea in an undisciplined mind is like an unattended cat with a ball of yarn. He will beat it, smack it around, chase it back and forth until it is a hopeless tangled mess. When we say turn it over, I think we mean let go of it for a while. Give your brain a rest. Let Him untangle it while you distract yourself with some thing else. That way he can smooth it out, roll it back up and hand it back to you with a set of instructions. Yes the opportunity to tear it up again is there, because we have choices, and don't always make the right ones. But by consciously turning a problem over to our Hp as we understand him, we get our own mind off it l9ong enough to settle things down so hop fully later when the right time comes we can make better choices.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:11 am

Thanks Kathy.

To me, turn it over... simply means "Look at it from a different angle." Or, "To turn it over and look at the other side."

Example: The cat and the ball of yarn.

I can look at that as "an idea in an undisciplined mind" or, I can look at it from a different angle as... "the cat is just doing what cats do... they play with things."

I could get ticked off at the cat for making a mess... but by turning it over... and looking at the other side... how can I get ticked off by a cat doing what cats do... which is to play.

That kind of "turning it over" helps me to maintain some emotional balance rather than be disturbed by emotions such as anger and resentments.

Another example might be: "I'm not making mistakes... I'm learning." Two different sides... one I can feel good about and the other I can use as a hammer and clobber myself with it.

As far as "turning it over to HP, or God"... that's a little too abstract for me. If it means to "just accept the outcome of something, the way that it is, rather than what I demand it to be"... I can do that.

In regards to "turning my will and life over to" God, it meant that I was willing to change my mind and change my actions... for the better... and accept the results... whatever they may be.

In other words... make progress in cleaning up the messes that I had made in life, and try to make less of a mess. To pursue things like character building... It meant, that I was now willing to do the "foot work" and to "pick up the Spiritual tool kit" that had been provided to me, and for me to "go to work" with the tools... instead of handing the tools over to God, and asking Him to do my job for me.

Thanks for letting me ramble on this controversial topic! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

No OProblem

Postby 918gma » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 pm

I guess the only difference between the two ideas is that I trust that if I am doing what I am suppose to be doing, paying the bills not bouncing checks, and all those other responsible things, then my Hp isn't going to let me fall on my face. I may think he has, but it's usually the wrong choices on my part that have gotten into a mess.
918gma

Postby crickit » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes, you guessed it. Today is my day for catching up on posts. LOL

I used to use this saying all the time. "Let go and let God" but my reason was because I just couldn't deal with the situation and because I wasn't drowning it anymore I just let it go and made no decission at all. I felt at the time that everything was out of my control in my life so if I just sat and prayed everything would work out the way it should. I was going to the meetings and only listening to what I wanted to hear and 'let go and let god' made me unaccountable for my actions. Dallas, I remember talking to you about this a long while back when I was very stuborn in my own version of what the BB was saying.

Now I look at every situation that makes me uncomfortable and say the serenity prayer. That's how I decide whether or not I can take action to change things. By giving up my will and my life over to a higher power I have actually empowered myself to make better decissions based on the direction that I receive from my higher power. Nothing or no one can make my life better but me and as long as I am feeling balanced body, mind and spirit, I know I'm moving in the right direction.

Now when I say 'Let go and let God' it's because it's not something that is in my power to change and it's my way of praying for the best possible outcome. It's kind of like writting a problem on a peice of paper and putting it in the 'God" box. I no longer have to loose sleep over something that is beyond my control. I trust that my higher power is dealing with.

Geez, I ramble alot don't I LOL

BB
Crickit
crickit

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity