- divinely inspired

divinely inspired

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

divinely inspired

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:20 pm

I was typing a response to Finch's post on the "Heard at a meeting" thread ~ basically saying that yes, my thoughts are my own.

Then I remembered what happened to me on Friday evening.

I was sitting at home, thinking about my plans to go to the hospital yesterday and visit an AA woman I know who has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has spread to other organs.

Within minutes of thinking of my plans to visit her, I "got an idea" to make her a set of Tibetan prayer beads. I then "got an idea" to make them out of beads from a necklace that was my mother's - my mother died of cancer 7 years ago.

I have never made Tibetan prayer beads before; I've never used them, either. The woman in the hospital is not a practitioner of any Tibetan rituals. Yet, this idea was strong in my head, very decisive and clear.

For the first time in my life, I believe that I was "given" those instructions. And as I type that out, I cringe - because how arrogant is that, to state that I was given divine instruction? Don't they lock people up who claim that??

Yet, the dictionary talks about divine when it talks about inspiration ~

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source in·spire (ĭn-spīr') Pronunciation Key
v. in·spired, in·spir·ing, in·spires

v. tr.

To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence.
To fill with enlivening or exalting emotion: hymns that inspire the congregation; an artist who was inspired by Impressionism.

To stimulate to action; motivate: a sales force that was inspired by the prospect of a bonus.
To affect or touch: The falling leaves inspired her with sadness.
To breathe on.
To breathe life into.
To draw forth; elicit or arouse: a teacher who inspired admiration and respect.
To be the cause or source of; bring about: an invention that inspired many imitations.
To draw in (air) by inhaling.
Archaic
To breathe on.
To breathe life into.

So, at the risk of getting locked up ( :shock: ) I do believe that I received those thoughts from somewhere outside of myself. And, by the way, the woman in the hospital loved the beads and will pray with them.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Hey Anne,

Thanks for the share!!! I've been in real need of it this morning!

BTW: Our book talks much on the topic of divine guidance and inspirational thoughts... those "hunches" that gradually become "a working part" of our mind.

Dr. Bob and his wife Anne, along with the early A.A.'s in Akron were thoroughly convinced about receiving divine guidance. That was the forefront of our Step 11. "Prayer and Meditation." Praying with the expectation of receiving guidance... then, waiting in silence "the quiet time" for the guidance. Then, they had a process to "check out the guidance" by discussing it with a close circle of friends, and getting feedback to decide if it was "divine" or "mine."

In Bill W.'s later years... he did much personal research and practice delving in to psychic phenomena.

And, Dr. Carl Jung.... who Bill considered as one of our co-founders, spent much of his life investigating, researching and experimenting with the extra sensory world of psychic phenomena.... and internal and external forces. He was well known for his work in such subjects.

I believe in our book, that it's mentioned in some way like "we come to rely upon it."

I get doubts about it. I get convinced about it. I get doubts about it. I become convinced about it. :lol: :lol:

In searching through my own life experiences.... and when trying to discover some of the reasons why I "first turned to alcohol and mind altering and emotional altering" substances... I remember as far back as a child, experiencing many psychic phenomenon type experiences.... and, they bothered me so much... and I had no clue how to interpret what was going on... that it used to drive me nuts thinking about it! I tried to run and escape from the experiences, because I was uncomfortable and I felt "different" and didn't want to be different.

I personally believe in psychic phenomena, divine and other guidance, internal and external force, and also mental illness. :lol: :lol:

One of the reasons that your "share" helped me so much today, is that I've been feeling kind of toxic this morning... from being surrounded by too many people suffering from too much mental illness this weekend!

So... thanks for your message!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Dallas wrote:I get doubts about it. I get convinced about it. I get doubts about it. I become convinced about it. :lol: :lol:

Boy, can I relate to THAT! My self-will lurks around just waiting to pounce on stuff like this and tell me that I must be delusional, etc., that there's no way that I could get divine guidance...that stuff is reserved for saints and gurus. Yet, just as "who am I to say there is no God?", who am I to say that I don't receive from God? Heck, if I didn't, then what would be the point in prayer, right?

I suppose that since I am quite skilled at being delusional, I'm not fluent yet with the "is it mine or is it divine" piece.

And you know what? In my initial post I said that this was the first time I felt that I had been "given" a thought. That's not true. When I celebrated my 4-year anniversary this past December and spoke in front of the group when I accepted my coin, I was "taken over" for a few minutes there and words flowed out of my mouth that most certainly did not come from me; matter of fact, I have no idea what words did come out because I was not "there" while it was happening. Afterwards, I was told that I was preaching about God. Now, anyone that knows me for any amount of time knows that the odds of Anne preaching about God are between zero and negative 20. That was a "way cool" experience.

Okay, hope I'm not due to be fitted for a straight-jacket..... :shock:
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:33 pm

anniemac wrote: I suppose that since I am quite skilled at being delusional, I'm not fluent yet with the "is it mine or is it divine" piece.

Now you can join our club "The Periodic Delusionals"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're not alone!

"I took actions that I did not believe in... and, I came to believe because of the results that the actions produced"

Regardless of who the person is... and regardless of what they believe... and, even if they do not believe... if they take certain actions based upon certain principles... they could make a circuit where electricity can flow. And, with a few more actions based on certain principles... they can create an electrical force of electrons that will flow through the circuit. If they attach a certain light bulb to their circuit... it will light the bulb and light the room. And, the unbeliever who took actions that they did not believe in... will see the light. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is not necessary to have faith... to produce results. A "Certain Course of Actions" will suffice.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Annie,

If you're getting a straitjacket, may as well get one for me too!! I've had several experiences such as you describe.

When I finished the steps with my sponsor, I was trying to think of a gift to give her -- I had looked at all the 12 step gift stuff and nothing felt right. One day, I was thinking about my sponsor and the vision came into my mind of a little girl in a field picking flowers and chasing butterflies. Something told me right then that I was supposed to give my sponsor a butterfly pendant. I gave her the pendant, and she was shocked -- it turns out that no one other than her granddaughter knew that she loved butterflies.

Some time after that, my sponsor suggested that I chair a step series meeting (small group). She was there with me for each meeting. The day we covered the 3rd step, I had an experience like you did of the words not being my own. When I finished speaking, I had a "goosebumpy" feeling, and felt I wanted to cry -- a happy cry. I had to ask my sponsor later what I said -- she told me it was the best description she had ever heard -- I didn't remember any of it!!

So, you are not alone!!!! Dallas and I will be right there with you LOL !!!
:lol:
carol1017

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:04 am

I've got a discount coupon for straitjackets -- 3 for the price of one!

Wanna pitch in together?

"We may not have it all together....
But, together we have it all!" :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:30 am

Sure! Count me in,Dallas!!
carol1017

Postby anniemac » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Make mine a "Large", please! :lol:

It's always good to be reminded that I am neither unique nor alone.
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Hey Annie,

I recall some famous words: "Shut up and listen."

God as we understand Him only has so many ways to "speak". One is through other people, another is through the Creation, and the other is through the Spirit which we get when we pray for closer conscious contact.

If you got that "feeling" in your gut, just go ahead and follow it. As long as whatever you're doing is honest, unselfish, loving, and pure, I guarantee it won't hurt a thing in the long run. It might also be helpful and needed in the "right now". Run it through the Four Absolutes and KEEP IT SIMPLE. Just ask four simple questions:

1. Is it true or false? (honesty)
2. How will this affect the other fellow? (unselfishness)
3. Is it beautiful or is it ugly? (love)
4. Is it right or is it wrong? (purity)

Then if it gets through all of those, you can count on it being the next right thing. Oh did I mention to KEEP IT SIMPLE?

Now here's the thing about prayer beads, it don't matter if they are "Tibeten" or if they are "Rosary". The whole purpose for them is to bring a person in closer conscious contact with God as they understand Him. There are some really beautiful stories about prayer beads, in the native culture too. There was a story about this layperson guy on a monestary who died with a Roasary in his hand, wanna guess what he was doing with his prayer beads?

Oh boy girl, there's lots of power in those prayer beads. You go ahead an make them and gift them to your friend. She will be honored. Just say a little prayer before you make them to the God who understands the Tibeten prayer beads. And don't forget what you've been praying for these days girlfreind!

God bless,
Paul
garden variety

Postby garden variety » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Wow looks like I need a moment of clarity?

Sorry, I read your post again and see you already gave them to her. Good for you Annie! You did the right thing.
garden variety

Next

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity