- When reality does not match my perceptions

When reality does not match my perceptions

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:49 pm

If my perceptions of reality – do not match that which is real – it is my perceptions that must change. For, I have very minimal control – to change that which is real.

I believe that this is the essence of the “Serenity Prayer.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:34 am

Absolutely. "The pain is in the resistance" is an expression that I love. When I resist reality, I cause my own suffering.

Changing my perceptions -- when I was sober but still getting pissed off at people who cut me off in traffic, or were rude to me in the supermarket, or whatever the case may be, I was having a hard time changing my perceptions and accepting their actions. I started to create "what if" situations....what if that person just left their mother's funeral? What if that person's spouse just told them that they want a divorce? What is that person cut me off because they need to get to the hospital? That really helped my compassion and acceptance to kick in, and also taught me that I can't automatically assume that someone is a *&^%$ based upon their behavior -- I have no idea what their life is like and what they are carrying around. That helped to expand and change my perceptions.
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 am

anniemac wrote:When I resist reality, I cause my own suffering.

Girl - you're really on a roll! I'd like to lift this little quote and use it from time to time with your permission (probably off of cyberspace but in the real world).

What you been up to? That subtle stuff seems to be definitely getting profound. You're getting to be like a fine aged cheese, Annie. Thanks - well I meant that as a compliment - not like you...well never mind. :roll:
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 pm

PLEASE!!! Watch your language!!!!

I'm sensitive! And, you said "cheese!" :lol:

"Hey mister? .... How old is your cheese?" could mean one thing -- and "Hey lady? .... How old is your cheese?" could be perceived as another!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No telling what they're thinking when they read about cheese! :oops:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:07 pm

When I first came into AA, the only things that made sense to me were "one day at a time" and the Serenity Prayer. That said, it took 9 months for me to really "get" the Serenity Prayer -- that the only things I can change are me and my perceptions.

At my home group meeting yesterday, I heard an interpretation of the Serenity Prayer that meant a lot to me:

Wisdom is to know myself,
Courage is to change myself,
Serenity is to accept myself.

To me, this is a great reminder of exactly what I can and can't change.
carol1017

Postby anniemac » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Lift away, Paul....

A fine cheese, eh? I guess that beats a fine wine...or is it whine? :shock:

What you been up to?
I've been doing some growing up - it's been an awesome summer for me, spiritually, growth-wise, etc. A few hissy fits here and there, but coming out the other side is feeling mighty fine. Fine, you know, like a fine cheese. :D

Carol, I love that interpretation!
anniemac

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity