and interesting date as well. 27 years ago on this date I was on a plane headed to the military because my family didn't want the embarrasement of me going to federal prison, so off to the military I went. Actually the military and I had a great relationship for 8 years. My personal life was a disaster area but my career went well. Here I sit 27 years later in the first decent relationships I've had in my life with the people in my life, God, my daughter, now 25, and my life mate. Me and God have it easy, He's the boss, what he says goes, simple as that
My daughter got married so when she calls whining about her toes being *not straight enough* I simply tell her I love her and to go tell her hubby about the toes issue
Now for the tricky part. The mate! We met in AA rooms and he spent quite a few months thinking I was kind of looney, DUH!!!
While I was on chaffee working with the Katrina evacuees I stumbled into him at a local coffee shop one day after a meeting and very rudely sat myself down at his table, for 2 reasons. 1. the other tables were all full, and 2. I didn't want to eat standing up. He's a quiet guy so I just sat and babbled at him forever and he eventually started talking too. Turned out he was a really interesting and nice guy, which kind of intriqued me since I'd never met a nice guy, I always had to run with the big dogs, shame on me! I spent the next couple months on chaffee with my evacuees and running into him at meetings, always so sweet and quiet, talk about opposite of me!
He mysteriously started smiling when I saw him at meetings, which was odd for him and I'd always give him big hugs and we'd talk before the meetings. I was talking AA to a girl one night he walked up as I was giving her my number. I asked if he wanted my number too and he said yes. 5 minutes later he was on my phone wanting coffee. We would sit and talk hours on sobriety over coffee and slowly I found myself in this before I realized it. It's still a basically new relationship but I have discovered that I don't wait for that other shoe to drop like I always did in the past with others. pretty easy too.
1. we work our own program and still stay very active in AA.
2. we both know who's in charge...God!
3. He is a gentleman so I act like a lady instead of a guy with a bad sex change operation.
( I am learning to let him open doors for me..lol)
4. we practice the principles in everything we do. (pretty good design for living, don't you think?..lol)
5. I talk to my sponsor several times a day and he talks to his when he can hog tie the guy for 5 minutes. he does however talk to another guy, kind of a fill in sponsor, in the program for 20 plus years every chance he can.
6. we already know each others bad qualities, we are both alcoholic..lol , so we concentrate on each others good qualities and have fun.
7. he accepts that I'm a little looney and I accept that he's not a big dog and we have learned the good qualities to both. in other words he is learning to have fun in life and I am learning why in the world do I have a porch If I can't learn to stay on it?
8. I learned to be very grateful really fast to his wife that died a couple years ago and took that smile from him, because she taught him to love so he could teach me to love. I have alot of love and gratitude for his wife, she was a great lady that was taken from this great man not by choice, and I don't try to discount or replace her. I have no problems at all holding one of his hands while she has the other.
9. we don't expect or demand of each other, we just enjoy the time we have together on this earth. There's alot to be said for living in the moment, it's pretty easy when it's on a 24 hour basis instead of the old way of thinking.
Oh well I have rambled on forever, and probably everyone has stopped readind so I may as well quite writing
Everyone have a great day and God Bless you all, Kay a.k.a. hummy dammit