A.A. Sponsorship or “Cult Leaderâ€

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby garden variety » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am

garden variety

Postby Dallas » Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

In my 23 year journey of AA, visiting literally hundreds of different AA groups in different cities and states – my experience has been the total opposite. I have never met or seen anything that anyway resembles a “cult.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed May 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Heya bro!

Nothing personal taken at all. I guess I'd like to say the same thing what you said, too. My comments and sharing deal with situations I see right here in my neighborhood more than anywhere else. It's pretty hard to describe and explain and use all words that paint the picture. I'm definitely not slamming anyone here, or A.A. as an organization either. Maybe it's my way of taking an inventory because I see some disturbing things I haven't seen as much of before.

I totally appreciate all of the points you made. Especially when you mention "non-conference approved" literature. There is so much that has led me to explore and experience spirituality and develop an even opener-mind. :wink: It's pretty cool that I'm also not the only one that can get long-winded either :lol: :lol: I read your post once, and I'll read it more close again, but I'm pretty much in agreement with what you're saying. Perhaps we're describing different sides of the same coin?

There is one thing I've noticed. I've seen more complaints that are negative toward the fellowship than there has been before. That corresponds to the uglier changes in this neck of the woods that seem to be happening more often. My feeling is that if something within my home group or in this case, my region, is cropping up and giving A.A. a "black eye", I'm not supposed to ignore it and hope it goes away on it's own. I 've been taught to offer comments that speak to an issue, if what I'm hearing or reading goes against our traditions or spiritual principles.

Thank you for sharing and keeping me healthy and positive, brother.

God bless
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 pm

The Bible isn't Conference Approved
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, guys! Love the (slightly) long posts! It's like taking a stroll in your personal park & I appreciate it. :wink:

Sponsees: I have to take the stand that I am here to help you recover from alcoholism. I do not know what you are supposed to do, (other than stay sober), think, say, be or buy. I have to turn in all things to the Father of Lights Who presides over us all, and you will need to do the same. I realize that you may be very foggy & even delusional, & I will help you to be safe. As you stay sober and take the steps, sanity will return & you will find you are able to make sound decisions. If not, then you will learn something!
Three things:
1. I am an alcoholic & cannot manage my own life.
2. Probably no human power could have relieved my alcoholism.
3. God can and does if I seek Him.
If I can't manage my own life, what makes you think I can manage yours?

There are AA Natzies here as well. I do speak up in a gentle way, when the Spirit moves me, in many group forums. But, ultimately all that I can do is live this program and practice these principles in my life & remind the Natzies that this is not what we are about and it definitely is NOT in the book. Sometimes it opens the door to change, or at least to discuss it!
I still have to keep reminding myself that this is God's deal & He is in charge. I'm not here to fight a war. I am here to stay sober & help others recover. From alcoholism. Not Kenmore. Or Ken. :lol:

Keeping it simple, Sunlight
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 pm

When people talk to my sponsor about AA problems, I've often heard him reply with something like: "Of course we have problems. However, we also have many small pockets of AA Enthusiasm -- scattered all around the globe -- of little groups of AA's that are doing a wonderful job of carrying AA's message to the suffering alcoholics and keeping AA alive and well and growing in their areas."
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum