- AA Big Book Sponsors

AA Big Book Sponsors

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby Divina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you! I hope, that I will find all answers to my questions... I had sponsor from London for Steps with Big Book. We began Steps at last autumn. Now I have four sponsees. We are working every week with BB. I had one question - what will happen, when I will begin to work with other woman (seven persons waiting for me...) :shock:
Now I found the answer - the Big Book sponsor. Does it mean, that I only navigate through the Steps by BB, and then I leave them to live by Twelve step? :)
Last edited by Divina on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divina

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Guide them through taking the 12 Steps. Then, show them how to continue the practice of Steps 10, 11 & 12. As you do this -- have them check in w/ you, so that you can continue to work w/ them to monitor, measure and inspect their progress. If they have a difficulty or problem arise -- show them how you applied the 12 Steps and how it solved your problem.

That's about it. Keeps it real simple.

The reason that you want them to continue to check in w/ you, besides what I've written above is: Structure and Discipline. The two things that trip up nearly every alcoholic I have ever known. Structure. And, discipline.

Best wishes and congrats to you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: AA Big Book Sponsors

Postby Jebtion12345 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am

My experience with my sponsor and the Big Book is that she loves the literature of the program, knows it inside and out, and would direct me to passages and quote but she did not sit down with me and read line for line with me. I did that on my own. I hated the Book and thought it was not sophisticate and it took me almost 13 years of having one to submit to it.
Anyway, my sponsor guides me on how to apply steps to my life and she is amazing and only shares her experience.
The deal is is that we do disagree at times and she allows me to question and try a different way. So, I have not been sponsored in a following literal direction way but feel God has sponsored me on that one as a voice/feeling tells me to do that and I get the pay off. She lights the way but allows me to have my own experience with the steps and with God.
I have thought of getting "booked" by BB sponsor but I don't know. I feel so damn alive and connected not sure if I need to. (?any experiences anyone has to relate).
The middle of the road just doesn't work for me. I have to follow literal direction and try to close any loopholes.
Ex. "we are not saints ... spiritual progress not perfection" ... if I twist these two I will choose to rationalize bad choices in s--, money, and so on. I have to close those loopholes and refer to 69 and help others if s-- is troublesome. I have to aim at perfecting my spiritual life. And the cost of the HP saving me is I cannot keep secrets from him as easy.
I am not trying to be perfect per say just grow ... I heard a speaker say recently do you want to take a thimble to the ocean or the largest cup you can carry.
I get a little angry though that I cant misbehave ... act out ... I am just too nervous to lose the happiness I have.
I was suicidal for months before coming into AA after 5 year relapse. I don't want to feel that way if I can prevent with the help of HP. I am powerless over the instinct of lust and my defect but that doesn't let me off the hook. I have to work and serve Him as agreed in the third step. But making the right choice can be so hard.
Peace to all
J
Jebtion12345

Postby Toddy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 pm

18 months this past tuesday, just asked a good buddy to be my sponsor. thanks for all the wisdom found here.

Toddy
Toddy

Postby Divina » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Thank you for your experience and sharing :)
Divina

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Alright! Divina & Toddy on the same day! I missed you two! I guess I should stay off-line more often. LOL.

Good to see you! Best wishes & contrats, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sponsors Forum