- "AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM"

"AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM"

Personal experiences with a Higher Power of your own understanding.

"AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM"

Postby DebbieV » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:44 am

When I was still drinking I tried all kinds of things to stop, I think what I tried most was church. I would go to church and pray, join the choir, go on church trips and try to give myself to this God they told me about. It didn’t work, I still drank, I was disappointed in the people, I was disappointed in the church and I was very disappointed in their God. But, what seem to happen more than anything was I became more and more disappointed in me, the fact that their God worked for them and not me just showed me I was and never would be good enough for their God to help me. He didn’t want anything to do with me, so in turn I didn’t want anything to do with Him.
Then my drinking came to a point to where I had a choice..get sober or die..that was it, no other choices. So, I walked into the doors of an AA meeting and saw the man who would become my sponsor. He said Debbie, you are full of pain, if we don’t get some of that pain out of you, you will drink again and for you that is the same thing as death. The only way I know how to get the pain out of you is the same way I got it out of me, working the 12 steps. So, I ask him if he would do it, take me through my steps, and he said yes. So, we sat down together and started.
Step one. Powerless …you bet I was powerless
Step two. Came to believe. Simple enough, a power greater than myself at that time was a ceiling fan in the middle or the room at my first AA meeting.
Step three. Turn my what and my what over to who? No way in hell. Not gonna happen.. I will die drunk before I try that crap again. I have already proved that God didn’t want me and he damn sure wasn’t gonna help me. I may as well give up now, I will never be able to stay sober. So, my sponsor sat down and said “why don’t you come up with your own concept of God, sit down and make a list of who and what you want your God to be. He or She is your God now. Not the churches.â€
DebbieV

Postby tim-one » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

Debbie,

Sorry so long to catch up in my favorite forum. I don't want anything else on my mind when I'm here. Focus.

I love your story. It's a wonder, huh?

I love the idea that God expresses Himself to each of us as we are each able to understand. Getting all philosofull here, I know I don't interact the same with any two people. I treat them the way I understand them and how they are able to perceive me.

It occurs to me how much more diverse, eclectic God is, knowing He (well, this is MY HP) put a little of Himself into each of us onaccounta He just won't fit into any one of us or even in ALL of us. Ya think?

I enjoyed hearing about your understanding of HP. Gives me another glimpse of a little more of Him.

Thanks.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Return to Higher Power