- Does AA have anything to do with – relationships?

Does AA have anything to do with – relationships?

A discussion of topics related to relationships in recovery and treatment

Postby tim-one » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:51 am

That's right, JW,

If it was just me, I could be fine in a box under a bridge. as long as I had cable TV and internet

But it ain't just me. The only amends I can do to those around me is to be a better man.

Screw alcohol. That's just a symptom. My problem is ME. Turns out I'm THEIR problem, too.

Everyone else can leave the room, but I have to live with me.

Hhhmmm ... well... no I don't have to. There's only two solutions to THAT problem. :shock:

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Relationships Reflect Spirituality in Recovery

Postby Kayliz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 pm

I really connect with the discussion on this topic and have found that the quality of my intimate relationship in AA is directly related to the quality I have in my relationship with my higher power. I think understanding this is so important I wrote a memoir (just published!) in which I explore my own personal journey in this area. It is remarkable how closely the two parallel.
Kayliz

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 am

Hello Kayliz!!! Welcome to the forum! I'd like to read more of your experience in this area.

Thanks,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:06 am

Nice to meetcha, Kayliz.

You are absolutely correct in my (n)ever humble opinion.

I determined a long time ago that conflict is not a good reason to leave a job cuz I take at least half the problem with me to the next one. Same with personal relationships AND my HP. I proved that several times in my life. :oops:

I noticed that the 12 steps mention alcohol only once in step 1 and once again in 12. The rest of it is about having personal contact with a non-human (pg 60 (b) - "That probably no human power could relieve me of alcoholism") Higher Power as (much as) I understand Him.

The whole thing is about changing my half of every relationship. Amazing how changing me changes how life and people treat me. Go figure! :idea:

As I worked the steps and continue to PAY ATTENTION to HP, as I get to know Him better, I've been having revelation after revolution after epiphany about my relationship with my wife, my career, AA siblings, and everyone and everything else.

IT WAS ALWAYS ME AFTER ALL !

Does AA have anything to do with relationships? YOU BETCHA ! It doesn't have anything to do with anything else. Alcohol was just my way of proving life didn't love me the way I was.

And THAT'S the real deal.

I thought I might clarify something I wrote above:

Everyone else can leave the room, but I have to live with me.

Hhhmmm ... well... no I don't have to. There's only two solutions to THAT problem.

For me, the two solutions were auto-murder or the AA way.

One of the 3 reasons I didn't kill myself is I believe in life or death after death. The death would be being stuck in a room with myself the way I was that moment. EEeeewwwwww ... :shock:

Everyone else can still leave the room, but now I kinda like me! :P

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 pm

It's nice to see you Tim-One. Or, did I already write that??? :lol:

I missed your postings.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Awr shucks, Dallas. Thanks. Kinda humblatin' and nice to hear.

I'm s'posed to be doing other stuff. Don't blow my cover. 8)

Woops. Too late. He's reading over my shoulder again. :shock:

Got a lot of reading to catch up on here.

Love ya,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby ccs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:48 am

HI! Tim One Ditto on what Dallas said you are missed when you stay away so long
nice to see ya :D
ccs

Postby pollypickle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:11 am

great topic, love all the responses, thank you all!

I definitely find that the big book (and thus the program of recovery) describes a direct link between my relationship with God and my relationship with Self + others.

I also like this one definition of love I read once:

Love is the willingness to extend myself for my own or another's spiritual growth.

That makes the opposite of love for me LAZINESS, which is a big one for me. I can't extend myself past my comfortable egoic boundaries if I am sitting at the computer.

On that note....
pollypickle

Postby tim-one » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks, Pickle. Good.

I hear that the opposite of love isn't hate. It's apathy.

But I also think love is something you do, like you said. So ... yep ... laziness.

Have I done love today? Better get busy. :wink:

Love ya,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby angel143 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:17 pm

pollypickle wrote:Love is the willingness to extend myself for my own or another's spiritual growth.

Wow, I have to say...reading this, after the day I had today...AMAZING. I had a great a day, please dont take that the wrong way. But this quote just kind of ties the whole day together in a nice little pretty bow wrapped package.

I get it now....I have been willing to extend myself...do whatever it takes, for that person. I understand now, why that person wants me to do it for myself more than for him. Thats part of why I care about him...because he cares about himself.

I GET IT!!!! I need to love myself more than anyone else...then I can be the best me...and be the best for everyone else!!!!! (well, not "the best" but I can be the best I can be for them)

That quote says so many things. Its just mind blowing.

Timmy wrote:Have I done love today?

Not gonna say yes or no to that...cause either way, I havent done enough of it.

Thanks all of you, for helping me today.

I love you all

Heather
angel143

PreviousNext

Return to Relationships in Recovery