- 60 days tomorrow!!!

60 days tomorrow!!!

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

60 days tomorrow!!!

Postby Susan68 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

I can't believe it's the big 6-0!!

I remember about, mmm, end of '06 beginning '07 I was having so much trouble sleeping, and I was drinking at night to go to sleep (alcohol being what it is, it did not keep me soundly sleeping through the night so I started taking "PMs" which I was subsequently told by a doctor could be deadly). I sought the assistance of a doctor for the sleep issue. I was very honest with him that I was drinking to sleep. At the time I did not think I was an alcoholic. This guy was astute enough to see it. He didn't actually tell me he thought I was an alcoholic. He would not give me anything potentially "habit-forming." He made one other comment basically telling me he wanted to see me stop the drinking, so I said, well, okay. No biggie. I stopped drinking my wine very nigth for 30 days and it was the longest 30 days! I honestly thought at the time, "I don't know how much longer I want to refrain from having my nightly wine."

Point is, the last 60 days haven't been so hard. I'm so glad because I remember feeling very disturbed during that period when I felt "uncomfortable" without alcohol. I don't feel disturbed now.

I just remembered this. I not-to-infrequently do this mental dance with myself where I start wondering whether I really am an alcoholic in need of AA. It was good to remember this.
Susan68

Postby GaryK » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:51 am

Susan.
Congradulations!
Go up to the front of the room and get your chip.
I had my last drink 2 weeks ago.

Somebody told me once, that If you have to ask yourself, IF you are an Alcoholic, You probably are.

I have played that mental game with myself so many times.
It's all in the BB.

Cunning, Baffeling, Powerfull.
G
GaryK

Postby angel143 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:17 am

Susan~~

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Keep up the great work!

Love you
Heather

Gary~~

Congratulations on 2 weeks! You're doing great!

Love you
Heather
angel143

Postby Susan68 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am

GaryK wrote:Susan.
Congradulations!
Go up to the front of the room and get your chip.
I had my last drink 2 weeks ago.

Somebody told me once, that If you have to ask yourself, IF you are an Alcoholic, You probably are.

I have played that mental game with myself so many times.
It's all in the BB.

Cunning, Baffeling, Powerfull.
G

Yeah, I know. Congratulations dude!
Susan68

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:08 am

Susan??? 60 days... and nights... not one drink in between??? RECOUNT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No hanging chads??? Well... maybe there is a God, then!

Congratulations Susan!!!

Happy 60 Days!!!

I hope your 60 days were much easier than the last time I stuggled to get 60!

The first time I got 60... it wasn't so tough... So, I must have figured "Hey! I can do it again!!!" :lol: :lol:

Hang in there Susan! Stick with it! You'll be glad that you did!

Best wishes to you, and I'm looking forward to singing "Happy Birthday" to you... if you think you got what it takes to make it a year! :lol:

Dallas
Last edited by Dallas on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 am

Susan,

Great going! Congrats on the 60. I hope you have many more.

There goes that mean ol' Dallas talking about having to "work" again! :cry: I thought that sobriety was something that "falls out of the sky" and hits me on the head. What a shame it was to find out:

"Faith without works was dead"

That's what it says in the book. It also says this:

"For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead. If he did not work, he would surely drink again, and if he drank, he would surely die. Then faith would be dead indeed."

For me, Grace was the opportunity God, as I understand Him, gave me to change. He gave me the power to raise up my head and ask Him to relieve me of my alcoholism. He gave me a moment of clarity in the dense fog of alcohol addiction to see that there is a solution, a way out. If I wanted to get out of this mess known as alcoholism, I needed to take certain steps which are always based on me taking constructive action.

The path to find a Higher Power and a spiritual way of life is a path of self-sacrifice and unselfish constructive action. The 12 steps worked the best for me because after I did the work, I was given a "spiritual awakening" which transformed me into a different man - a man who no longer needs to pick up a drink to cope with life, or those "certain trials and low spots that lie ahead.

Action. We have a spiritual program of action - a design for living that really works.

Faith without works is dead. I wonder where I heard that before?

God bless.
Paul
garden variety

Postby ccs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 pm

YEAHHHHH!!!!!! SUSAN BIG HIGH FIVE TO YA
congrats sis keep on trudgin!!! :D :D :D :D :D

LUV-2-ALL Cessie
ccs

Postby DiggerinVA » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Big Congratulations there. The work is easy if you do it right.;)
DiggerinVA

Postby angel143 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Dallas wrote: But, it only materializes for those that work for it. Yep. It's just like anything else in this life that's worth having... there is a price to it and there is work to be done to get it.

Ya know...I was on the phone earlier today and I had a conversation similar to this. I really, REALLY have a lot of things that I want in my life, and I cant get them...at least not in the way that I want...until I WORK for them. I have steps to do...I have steps to take, to make a part of my life. And you can bet, once I get through them...I will have 'paid the price' for my reward. But all the rewards I want...I would do anything in the world for....so I guess its not really paying a price. Its a part of a great life.

Dallas wrote:But, it gets to a place that it doesn't seem like work after awhile. It seems like fun. So, I guess we end up doing a lot of funning for it too! (Yes. that's I word! I just invented it!) :wink:

Susan...I will have 30 days on Friday...I look forward to 60! You are an inspiration. Thank you for all your sharing. I appreciate you.

I love you
Heather

Hey...im all for funning...is it possible to have to much funning? I hope not! Cause I want a lifetime of full of funning! 8) :lol: :wink:
angel143

Postby Susan68 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 pm

angel143 wrote:
Dallas wrote:Susan...I will have 30 days on Friday...I look forward to 60! You are an inspiration. Thank you for all your sharing. I appreciate you.

I love you
Heather

Congratulations chick! Now have you tried to volunteer to make a pot of coffee at your home group and been turned down for having less than 90 days?!? :wink:

Ditto on the kind sentiments.
Susan68

Next

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories