- Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

Postby angel143 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi all

How are you? I hope you are all happy, healthy, sane and sober!

Well, as suggested, I am going to share my day with you.

I woke up this morning to some continued medical problems, that were getting worse. I was doing all I could...actually, to be totally honest, I was being a stubborn brat....trying to avoid the hospital. Then I realized that my air conditioner was broken.

Now, it was 116 out yesterday...and its only going to be worse today. So of course I had to do something about it.

My dog...some of you may remember he had a minor procedure done a couple weeks ago. Well he healed from that, but then friday ended up breaking his back paws! So he cant go outside to cool off in the pool cause he cant get wet. So even though it felt better outside cause of the breeze...that wasnt an option.

Well, I called to have the AC company come out. Then I started...yep you guessed it...a pity party.

I didnt want my moms help, I just wanted to cry. I kept telling myself 'Hell, I have been sober 41 days and all this s@@@ has happened to me and it didnt happen when I was drinking...what the hell?' That was just some of what I was thinking.

I also am not working this week...so...my job is such, no work, no $$.

See...all of this revolved around money..and the stress of my medical stuff. I was using every possible thing I could to avoid the hospital.

There is someone who I love dearly, and I respect, admire and trust whole heartedly...I called him.

He was very understanding, and patient, and kind. He talked to me...I wont get into all of what was said...but I realized that life doesnt revolve around me...and get this...God (or HP) is NOT out to punish me!!!! Its a novel idea I tell ya. But once you can wrap you head around that...everything else seems to get easier.

My phone call was, what I thought to be, rudely interrupted by the AC man showing up EARLY!!!

Naturally I needed to replace the whole unit. Before I get to that, let me also tell you this...suddenly...I kid you not, my medical issues...just stopped! It was amazing because they have never done that on their own.

Now the AC guy came in to talk about options and what not. I had him talk to my mom because I decided at this point in time, I need that kind of assistance from her. The new unit is $7200. So after all that was said and done....he asked me "how long do you have?" and then proceeded to pull out my BB out from under another book. I told him '41 days today'. He said "great. I was 4 years as of Friday" He also proceeded to tell me that he saw it (mind you, it doesnt have the cover on it...its just the blue book) when he 1st walked in.

He gave a 4K discount of the unit. Isnt charging for labor, gave a temp motor to last till Saturday when the new unit can be put in, and then gave me a free 4 yr membership for my yearly maintenance.

He sat with me, and talked. Read some things to me from my BB. He told me he prayed for me this morning. I was confused. He said he prayed that he meets someone today that he can help. I wasnt suppose to have a problem, but I did, and I was his 1st visit!!!

He also gave me the phone number of a lady who does an all womens meeting...every monday night...and its not at an AA location. Its at different peoples houses each week!

He helped me so much. But he hugged me and thanked me for helping him!!!

See amazing wonderful things happen...and they do only get better.

I feel like my dear friend that I talked to this morning helped me to at least be able to get to the point to have an open mind and see the other side.

I called my friend back and gave him the update. I was in such a better mood.

Stress is a trigger for me. But...I know that I have lots of people that love me and want to help me. I just need to be willing to let them. My mom helped me, the AC guy helped me...and my friend helped me. He gave me strength and courage and peace to face, what I thought for sure was going to be a day of hell.

I can get through it...may not get through it the way I think I should..but I will get through it the way I am suppose to.

Thank you for letting me share

Heather
angel143

Postby DiggerinVA » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 pm

:)
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 pm

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing Heather! I understand!

One of the hardest things for me to do as a newcomer was to allow someone to help me. I thought it was just one of those "man things". :lol:

Then, when I figured out some God stuff that made sense to me -- I adopted a belief that -- God put me in the world so that others could help me! And, He put them in this world so that I could help them!

The next idea I figured out about this God thing... (and it may only be true for me because of my understanding of it)... is "God helps people through people." So, when we pray to God for help -- he sends people, that often aren't even aware that they are being sent!

I loved your story. I really relate to it. Amazing things have happened in my life ever since I first went to AA, and got sober enough to become aware of them!

Once (well actually more than once... ) I was under a bunch of stress like you were today. I was newly sober. I was just about to lose it all! A motorcycle cop pulled up behind me, and noticed my little sticker on my bumper that had a circle and a triangle on it. He recognized the AA logo -- because he, too, was a sober member of A.A.!

He pulled me over and said "Do you know why I pulled you over?" Here I was... probably getting ready to go and get a drink... and I'm thinking "Oh Crap! Just my luck! Now they're going to arrest me for being sober! I haven't even had a drink yet!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So, I told him no, I didn't know why he pulled me over.

He stuck out his hand and introduced himself to me as a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous, and he said he saw the sticker on my bumper, and noticed that I looked like I might be having a problem.... :shock: :shock:

He sat with me and talked with me for at least a half-hour... gave me his telephone number and offered to help in the future. And when he left, I sure felt better! He saved my butt that day! Another one of God's Angels in AA!!!

Those kinds of tough experiences... I didn't know at the time... were answers to my prayers. See, I had been praying to God, telling God how difficult it was to become willing to believe in Him and to believe that He wasn't out to get me!!! God was sending people into my life -- that those people believed in God, and they prayed -- and they told me things like "Dallas, you're the answer to my prayer this morning!" (What the heck!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )... "Yes, I asked God this morning to lead me to someone that I could be of service to and to help them!"

And, what had I been doing? Running them off... when I wasn't kind... and if I liked them a little bit... rather than let them help me, I took their telephone number and gave it to other newcomers, telling them things like "Hey! If you ever need help -- call this guy! He can help you!" :lol:

Imagine that!

I hope you hook up with those roving-house AA's and you're able to come back and post your experience with them. I've known some awesome house-rovers in AA!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Heather, Thank you for sharing your awesome experience with us. I need to hear that kind of sharing. I need to be reminded that there are people that are getting better and wonderful things are happening in their lives as a result of the work and the fellowship. It's uplifting and encouraging. That, for me is how we help each other. We lift each other up and encourage each other by sharing how it's working for us and it gives them the hope to continue.

How are you doing with your medical stuff? How is your dog? I hope that all is well and good for you and your puppy.

Danni
Danni

THANKS!

Postby Memgal306 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow Heather. Thanks for sharing. :D
Memgal306

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories