- Chairing a meeting

Chairing a meeting

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Chairing a meeting

Postby drewi2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Any one have any experience chairing a meeting and all hell breaks loose?
What do you do?
How do you regain control?
Or how do you stop someone from a 15 minute rambling?
just curious to see who out there has done this and how.
drewi2009

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:20 am

[quote="drewi2009":spam]Any one have any experience chairing a meeting and all hell breaks loose?
What do you do?
How do you regain control?[/quote:spam]

Just toss their butts out! :lol:

If you want to see a meeting where all kinds of big-time hell breaks out... to go one of those AA business meetings for a club house!

I learned not to go to meetings where it was subject to all hell breaking loose... I looked for the one's that had structure, discipline, recovery, and long-time sobriety.

I did enough fighting in the bars... I was ready for some peace by the time I got to AA.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 am

To stop 15 minute ramblings try something like -

"I need to stop you there, good to hear you, but we need to make time for other members to share, perhaps we can talk after the meeting."

As for all hell breaking loose, you don't have to wait until the end to use the serenity prayer for the group.
GeoffS

Postby Danni » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm with Dallas on this one. I don't go to meetings that do not have structure, sanity, recovery and discipline. Those are the things that I seek to have in my life. When a meeting runs wild it's time for me to run to another meeting and not keep going back to the wild meeting. I want long-term sobriety so I try to do what people that have long-term quality sobriety do.

Danni
Danni

Postby gunner48 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm

There is a great AA pamplet called the AA GROUP. Talks some on chairing. Your group conscience should address the problem within the group. It is not your duty to fix the problem but it is to bring this before the group for a solution. Try it. If I am a member of a sick group I try to resolve problems within the group. If others are happy the way things are then I might consider a different meeting.
I attend a meeting in Sweet Springs Mo on Tuesday that is recovery dedicated. The average soberity in the group is about 20 years. We have from a few days to 44 years attend on a regular basis.
Hope your group learns and grows in a positive direction
gunner48

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics