- Chapter 6 INTO ACTION

Chapter 6 INTO ACTION

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

Postby gunner48 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:24 am

AWE THOSE AMENDS. When I first got sober I wanted to rush out and make those amends right away. Sponsor said slow down. Lets do the steps and when we get to step 9 you will be ready. Not me I had to go and in the process I created more mess. Bryan finally got me to pull back and just work on me for awhile. Next time when I went out to do these aMENDS i WAS READY. i TALKED TO HIM ABOUT EACH ONE BEFORE i WENT TO THE PERSON INVOLVED. End results were OK. My sons both turned away. The ex was cold and short. My father unbelieving that I was sober. AS i CONTINUED TO STAY SOBER THROUGH THE YEARS THINGS STARTED TO CHANGE. It took 10 years for my sons to aLLOW ME BACK IN THEIR LIVES. tODAY i UNDERSTAND THEY NEEDED TIME TO HEAL THE SAME AS i.Our relationship today is as it should be FATHER AND SON. tHE EX AND i ARE NOW FRIENDLY With each other. After all our children still bind us. My father passed knowing I was sober. Although not all my amends are done I am still willing to make them if given the chance. Time takes time. Not only for me but those in my life. I have learned through the love of my AA friends and God.
Today I understand that the only difference between me and the man drunk under the bridge is I have accepted a SPIRITAL solution and he has yet to do so.
Thank you all for what I have recieved.
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Gunner48 wrote:Time takes time.

What a profound three word statement!

It's almost like the Serenity Prayer... short, simple and powerful.

I think I'll make some little post-its and put that around me.

Thanks Gunner!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 pm

----DITTO----
ROBERT

Postby gunner48 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Robert I just reread your earlier entry. Reminds me of something in the 12 & 12 in step 11. It talks about constructive Imaganation. If I can dream it I can have it. Today I dream of Peace. Being an old warrior (military man) I now love the ideal of peace.
I have a prayer I say each day. Its not saying the prayer that is important to me but the believing it.
GOD THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITIES OF TODAY. I NOW ASK FOR YOU TO PUT BEFORE ME ONLY THE THINGS I CAN HANDLE WITH YOUR HELP.
I know today that whatever happens is there because today is the day I will recieve courage to get threw it. 2 years ago I lost my bother in a cycle accident and my stepmother (she raised me and I thought she was mine) 2 months later. Instead of hurt I truly felt peace. Both had excellent relationships with God.
The AA program has given me CLEAR VISION of who and what I am. A sober man who is trying to make a difference in the lives of those about me. How can I show God I love him? Only by trying to help another.
gunner48

Postby ROBERT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 pm

SO--thats where the name- gunner48- came from...the military...cool.......Yea the program is an exciting, never dull experience....the part about Proper use of our Will, in my humble opinion refers to our mind-thoughts and when the spiritual malady is over come we straighten out MENTALLY and physically--sounds like our mind and thoughts again, any MY recovery is a broad, roomy, all inclusive one that has me busy working on,improving my mind and my body. So I look into, and utilize other aspects of improvment/recovery, beyond the program of A.A., but- A.A. is the platform I always return to and consider it, my base camp---self improvment is for me VERY exciting, and has delivered many gifts, and I say gifts because I realize any improvments are gifts, not achievments- because of the Grace and mercy of a loving supreme power that so graciously has ALLOWED me to experience this wonderfull new life, and to see possibilities all around me instead of waiting for the next shoe to drop is a wonderful place to be.
ROBERT

Postby jzarvey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

I have been in the program for a little over 14 months. I have heard the 9th step promises read at nearly every meeting I go to. In my area, people emphasize the "sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly." They talk at meetings and tell about their problems and say "Oh well, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly."

Early in my recovery, I was told by many of the people with good sobriety that I should not delay in doing the steps. Others when asked about the timetable for taking the steps would say, "Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly." Luckily I was able to take a B2B type class where we did the steps in 4 weeks.

I read this portion of the Big Book recently and realized that it was not talking about getting the program quickly or slowly. The author (Bill W.) was talking about the promises "being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly."

At a meeting I mentioned that I had the above idea in my head and that perhaps the Big Book was being misinterpreted. Boy, did that go over well. My sponsor is even riding the fence, not wanting to say one way or the other.

I am now wondering if my interpretation is correct?

Thanks for your comments in advance,

Jim
jzarvey

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 pm

I believe your interpretation is correct. You're right on.

The majority of members in AA do not even read the book -- let alone take the Steps. I'm sure, from your experience that you posted, that you understand the difference in "taking the Steps" and "working the Steps."

That's the correct way to do it. To "take the Steps." I'm not sure if you read the 12 & 12 or not. If you do, you may want to glance at the first couple of paragraphs for Step 10. Bill refers to the first nine Steps as "the foundation" for living the AA program, One Day At A Time.

Imagine trying to build a house -- without a foundation? Then, try to imagine living in a house -- without a foundation. :lol: Probably okay, as far as a rickety tree-house might go, or a lean-to, with branches propped up -- but nothing you'd want to brag about as "being HOME." :wink:

Unfortunately, you may begin to feel a little lonely in the Fellowship -- because others won't understand what you're referring to. I know I did! And, sometimes, it still seems a little lonely -- in that regard. However, over the years, and especially with Internet access to other Big Book people online, that void can be filled, until you're able to develop the fellowship you crave. Our book calls it "The Fellowship of The Spirit" (on pg 164).

I encourage you to come here often and share your experience. Other AA's need to hear the message that you've experienced. The only way they'll get it -- if they've been hanging out in some dry meetings -- is to read and hear the experience of people like you -- who have done the work, and are doing the work, and are experiencing sobriety on a level that many do not even imagine as possible.

Thank you for sharing! I appreciate you and your sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:14 pm

another note: I think it's because of "peer pressure" in dry meetings -- that the message of Recovery that the Big Book offers -- gets shunned. The alcoholic who proclaims to be unique and different -- becomes a shy little kitten -- when they think someone of their peers "will think they are different." :lol:

This, I believe is the message of pg 58, up to pg 59. If they don't know "what is available" to them -- they'll look around the room and think "if you want what we have" and think that refers to just being physically sober -- one more day! While, that is part of it -- it's only a small part -- of what's available to those that do the work and take -- the Steps.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby jzarvey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 am

Thank you Dallas, you hit the situation right on the head. Those that share my point of view (including my sponsor after we talked last night) have a meeting that I usually am unable to attend. It is the same day and time that my wife and daughter go to Al-anon/Al-ateen meeting that they like, I stay home with our two younger children.

Thanks again for your wisdom,

Jim
jzarvey

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:50 am

Jim -- thank YOU!

KB -- thanks for sharing on the amends!
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study