- <<Experience-strenght-hope.vs.advice>>

<<Experience-strenght-hope.vs.advice>>

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

<<Experience-strenght-hope.vs.advice>>

Postby ROBERT » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm

In many meetings I experience alot of folks giving advice i.e.--do this, do that, your not doing this or that, you should be... you shouldn't be... on and on....I was asked to read the text and do the steps....no where do I find any thing saying that I am to advise someone how to live or the choices they are to make to achieve answeres to their problems...meerly share my experience, if I have some, in the realm of their problem,and how I came thru the other side of it, what I did to get thru it and what it is like now...so many are advising instead.....can someone help me if I am missing something IN OUR TEXT to the contrary. I need/want some experience-s/h with this issue, from the text. Thanks in advance
Last edited by ROBERT on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBERT

Postby gunner48 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 am

HEY Robert
IN THE PROGRAM MANY PERSONALITIES COME OUT. I GO TO MEETINGS FOR 2 REASONS.
1. TO GAIN KNOWLEDGE OF WHO HAS EXPERIENCE IN CERTAIN AREAS SO I CAN USE THAT KNOWLEDGE LATER IF NEEDED. ie: IF I AM WORKING WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM IN A AREA I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN I CAN GUIDE THEM TO THAT PERSON THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP. I DON'T HAVE KNOWLEDGE IN ALL AREAS SO I TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THOSE WHO HAVE TALKED ABOUT HOW THEY GOT THROUGH CERTAIN THINGS.
2. TO MAKE MYSELF AVAILABE TO SOMEONE WHO MAY NEED MY EXPIERENCES.
MY OPIONIONS ARE MINE AND SHOULD BE HELD CLOSE TO ME, NOT BE THRUST UPON OTHERS. I TALK WITH MY SPONSOR ABOUT MANY THINGS AND TRUST THAT HE WILL HELP ME GET A CLEAR PICTURE OF MY NARROW MINDED VIEWS.
WHERE I'M FROM WE HAVE 2 TYPES OF OLD TIMERS 1. THE ELDER STATESMAN WHO ALLOWS US TO MAKE OUR MISTAKES AND THEN HELPS US CORRECT THEM AND THE BLEEDING DECAN WHO WANTS TO TELL USWHAT TO DO AND GETS REALLY PISSED OFF IF WE DON'T FOLLOW THEIR DICTATES.
WE ALSO HAVE THE FEW NEW COMERS WHO THINK THEY ARE RUNNING THE SHOW. WE SIMPLY ALLOW THEM TO MAKE THEIR MISTAKES AND CONTINUE TO LOVE THEM IN SPITE OF THEMSELF.
I MAY NOT LIKE WHAT SOMEONE IS DOING BUT WHO AM I TO TELL THEM WHAT TO DO AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT HURTING THE GROUP OVERALL. MY GROUP ALWAYS COMES FIRST. I SUPPORT THEIR DECISIONS EVEN IF I DON'T AGREE.
HERE ON THIS SITE WE MAY NOT ALWAYS AGREE. THATS OK AS LONG AS WE ARE ALL HEADING FORWARD. PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL
gunner48

Postby ROBERT » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Soooooo....... nothing in the book about this, is that what you're trying to say, to answere my question, OR are you trying to show me an example OF my question! :P
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm

It looks like a fine AA example to me! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics