- 60 days

60 days

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Congrats on 60 days! That is an important milestone. You have found a helpful web site to keep you on a sober path. Keep up the good work and hope to hear more from you.
Tim

Postby leejosepho » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:42 pm

angel143 wrote:I realize I dont have a promise of tomorrow....

Oh yes, you do:

"'I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?'
"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you." (page 152, bold added)

My second sponsor once got very angry at me for continually talking about that while hoping it would come true for me, and he was baffled, after asking, when I showed it to him in our book.

It is true!
leejosepho

Postby angel143 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 pm

There is the promise of HOPE for tomorrow...

I have worked with so many different types of patients since I was 15. I, for some reason, have always taken care of patients that are terminal in some way or another.

I know without a doubt, there is NO guarantee of tomorrow. We all have the ability to take our last breath today. But there is always a HOPE for tomorrow.

I know that quote in Ch 11...I quoted it in my initial post....

But, in my mind, that is a part of the hope for tomorrow...I have a lot of hope for tomorrow...but if I get ahead of myself, then im not living TODAY for all that I can.

And TODAY is all that I have right now. RIGHT NOW...this minute...I have my breath and my sobriety and I will do all I can to make this minute worth all the gold in the world...I will deal with tomorrow...when and if it comes
angel143

Postby leejosepho » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:37 pm

angel143 wrote:I know that quote in Ch 11...I quoted it in my initial post....

Ah. Please forgive me -- I had forgotten. The difference, however, is that it was not written to terminal patients ... (edit) ... or was it?!

Either way, tomorrow will come, and we will all be there in one way or another.
leejosepho

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:45 pm

The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you." (page 152,

I can honestly say that this has been true for me!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby gunner48 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Today is the best day I will ever have. My saying that I use to thank God for today.
There is a prayer I say each day. It's not saying the prayer that is important to me but it's the believing in it that holds importance.
God,Thank you for the oppunitunituies of today. I now pray that you put before me only the things that you and I can handle. I really believe that no matter what occurs in my life that today is the day God and I can deal with it.
Just something I use that has been helpful in the improvement of my relationship with my God
Not to change the subject but this morning I sat on the front porch and watched the beauty of a thunderstorm roll through my Missouri town. How beautiful it was with the clouds, lighting, wind and rain. Tonight I left the meeting in Sweet Springs and as we were talking outside I was able to look into the sky and saw the mulitude of stars and a bright moon lighting the night. There was beauty in both. Today I get to see the wonders of this world. What a difference being sober has made in my ability to see.
PEACE AND LOVE
gunner48

Postby ROBERT » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Pretty cool stuff Gunner48....Ifeel the same way
ROBERT

Postby angel143 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:54 pm

leejosepho wrote:
angel143 wrote:I know that quote in Ch 11...I quoted it in my initial post....

Ah. Please forgive me -- I had forgotten. The difference, however, is that it was not written to terminal patients ... (edit) ... or was it?!

Either way, tomorrow will come, and we will all be there in one way or another.

My reference to terminal patients was to show how I have seen, more times than I have cared to see, how there isnt a promise of tomorrow. Only hope for tomorrow.

I realize that, God willing, I can have many tomorrows, and they will only get better and better, the longer I am sober. But I am promised this breath.

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you. BB Ch. 11

In my opinion...granted its only 62 days old...this is referring to flesh and blood satisfactory years of existence......

leejosepho wrote:Either way, tomorrow will come, and we will all be there in one way or another.

Yes, tomorrow will come, one way or another...and yes, one or another we will all be there. But to me, the quote from Ch 11 is referring to flesh and blood.

I think its also trying to give hope for the future. Since not a single one of us can guarantee anyone another day.

Personally...I like living for today. It enables me to be happy.

Part of my problem was twofold...I had a burning desire for immediate gratification (which is very different than living life right now), and the other side of that coin was that I would look into the future and when I would do that..I would start thinking to much. Creating other problems for myself.

If I can hope for tomorrow...which is really all I can do because I cant live tomorrow today....anyway, if I can hope for tomorrow, it adds to my life today.

What right to do I have to say...tomorrow is a promise? No, not me....no sirrreeeee...IM not gonna be the one to do that! The best way to get God to laugh...tell him your plans.

Again...I am new to all this....but I am tired of living for tomorrow...I miss out on today. And I missed too many todays to waste anymore!

Thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts and stories with me!

My love to you all...
angel143

Postby DebbieV » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 am

Angel143 Wrote:
Again...I am new to all this....but I am tired of living for tomorrow...I miss out on today. And I missed too many today's to waste anymore!

I can so relate to what you are saying Heather. About 9 months ago I didn't think my liver would hold out to see my one year anniversary. Today I am healthy and fine but that feeling of not knowing about tomorrow has stayed with me and I can't began to say how grateful I am for it.

I heard this saying one time and it stuck with me: If you have one foot in today and one foot in tomorrow, you are pissing on today.

That is so true for me, I have trouble staying in the now, and it is something I continually have to work on.

I have the promise of right now because I am living it, I don't have the promise of tomorrow and I am glad, because if I did I would be pissing on today.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby ROBERT » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:56 am

A wise saying, that took a lot of countless vain attempts to understand, AKA-experience- "Do whats in front of you" this today keeps life simple for me- I don't have the grandiose ideas for my life as I once did-that way of thinking had me chasing the wind, and it was like trying to catch the rain-when I do whats in front of me, today, stuff works out just fine. Ah-simplicity!
ROBERT

Previous

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories