- The difference between Religion and Spirituality

The difference between Religion and Spirituality

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

The difference between Religion and Spirituality

Postby 918gma » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:26 pm

Religion is for people that believe in hell, Spirituality is for people that have been there.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:57 pm

Hey Kathy, thank's for sharing that!

Thought I'd add my nickel to your basket!

"Religion is a way of living Life - Spirituality is Living Life."

Spirituality is "I and Life are One, Life in Me, and Me in Life, if you've seen Me, you've seen the Life of my Living."

Perhaps some others will share on it, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby JR » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:24 am

Kathy, somebody recently e-mailed that saying to me and I've definitely pondered its meaning. To me that saying could mean something as simple as our faith has to be tested in order for it to be a part of us. So, if you just practice your beliefs but never go through hell and back again, you never have the conviction of your beliefs - I guess the belief that God is real and will be there for us in our difficulties.

Relating it to AA, we have a set of beliefs and practices called the 12 steps. You could define them as religious in nature, as we are supposed to practice them religiously in order to have a conscious contact with God and to stay sober. In fact Father Dowling discovered many parallels between the Excercises of St. Ignatius, the spiritual discipline of his Jesuit order, and the 12 steps (Pass It On). Dr. Bob said the 12 steps were based on the Sermon on the Mount (can't remember the ref. so correct me if I'm wrong).

So, to me, religion is the practice of the principles of your belief system and spirituality is the results of that practice. Step 12 says "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps..." The result of practicing the 12 steps is spirituality.

My sponsor says the longest distance the alcoholic travels is the distance between his head and his heart. I know that is true for me. I've protected my heart my whole life. The 12 steps help me to open my heart and allow you and God in and lose the fear of being hurt. To not be alone because we are in the Fellowship of the Spirit. What Dallas said, "I and Life are One."

Love Each Day,

JR
JR

Postby Dallas » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:11 am

Thanks for sharing JR. You get right to the point. I love it when you share because not only is my heart touched, but so is my mind. I guess that's how the Language of the Heart works!

JR wrote:The 12 steps help me to open my heart and allow you and God in and lose the fear of being hurt.

Ditto on that, JR!

The 12 Steps tore down my concrete and steel prison that kept me in and everyone else out.

As I read your sentence, that I quoted above, my first thought after reading it was, "And, the 12 Steps let you and God out, JR... so that you could share with us."

Awesome stuff.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

The realm

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:07 am

Kathy, Mr BB, Jr, my on line family. good evening to you, and to anyone looking in. Dallas, you said you put your nickels worth in. Dallas, your nickel to me is worth a million bucks. Granny9! ... Hell, yep, been there and back more than a few. all my life i faught! i faught religion, others, myself. ect. when i was about 16, i wanted to seek the answers to my exsitance. i did really look, peacefull nights looking at the stars. the ripples of the ocean, and the crashing of them against the rocks, the beauty of the trees, the moon, ... the smileing faces. the rinkles on the old wise ones, and even the frowns... i also saw all the injustice, people killing, dying, the natural disaster, and the man made one i looked. read some great books. was head'n on the road to Happy Destiny. the problem me!!! i was very fearfull, fearfull to take a look harder. fear of the unknown, maybe, alcoholic in thinking? prob. afraid of growing up? yep. lack of maturity. i wanted to escape, to run. i took the easy way. booze, drugs, pleasure, thrills, and some spills. lol :lol: sorry, i'm realy trying to be serious.... it took 48 years of my life to crawl back from my hell. religion, or not.... i wouldn't have it anyother way. mater of fact, i cant. my past is mine, no one elses. after reaching so far in my soul, and yes, i have a soul. never knew it. what else could have brought me from near death? to a life beyond my wildest dreams. acceptance that i'm a alk'y, addmitting it. taking responsibilities. being available, to others, and myself ### too recv. bud :shock:#### when i screw up, can handle it, when people, places, things get me nerved up. can handle it. deaths, just had three more today. grand total 24 in recovery. ... i'm not looking for sympathy, just showing that because of The Power That Be! and my faith, befief, and trust! ... my spirit. be it in me, or wherever. i dont have to use over "Anything" illness, be it another, or myself. i learned how to pray rightly. i can ask for wellness, if it be thy will. the Spirit is my inner piece, the tranquility, that i looked for, and thought i found thru drugs, and booze... maturity, that whats a big part of my new life. enjoying all the happiness, dealing thru rough ones " Pain is the Touchstone to Spiritual Growth. yes it can be!... one more thing, the Spitual axiom. sometime people, and my self are just plain ass's. whats wrong with me???... as my good buddy, Wayne C say's, " More will be Revealed" if you seek it.! ... thanks for letting me share. all my love, and good wishes to all. xxxooo Patrick... ps JR i almost forgot what, and how much you bring into my life. a special thak you too you. :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity