- Warning some of this pretty harsh but true

Warning some of this pretty harsh but true

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:04 pm

I know a lot of alkies that tell me that God keeps them sober. And, I have no reason to not believe them.

I got really ticked off at God -- because He wouldn't keep me sober!

I tried and tried to get Him to do it for me... and, I then had resentments towards God... for making me work so hard to make progress and to keep my sobriety... when, for other people, He just gave it to them and keeps them sober, and all they had to do was say some prayers!

One day, I was at the jumping off place -- really tight -- couldn't make it any further -- I got on my knees begging God!

Now, I can't swear it was God, telling me this, or if it was my head saying it, and making me think it was God... but what I heard was:

"Get your ass up off the floor and go stick your fingers in the dirt and work for what you pray for! I gave you dirt. I gave you fingers. I gave you the ability to work. And, now... you want Me to do your job for you? Screw you! Get your ass out there and get to work if you want something! Don't be begging me for it!"

Ever since then -- it changed my attitude about God, and about praying for things, and about hoping that God is going to do something for me.

My job is to work for what I pray for. God's job is to be God.

Staying sober, for me -- is my job. Not God's job. I don't know what God is supposed to do. That would be like me -- thinking about what my sponsor does. I'm not God and I'm not my sponsor. So, I need to focus on what I'm to do and learn my job and do my job. God will take care of Himself regardless of what I think about God, or what I think God's job is.

It's First Things First, for me. I look for the next right action, hope I'm taking the next right action, and end up where I end up. If it doesn't work -- then, I pick myself up off the floor or off the curb -- and try something different. But, there is no need for me to keep trying to do something that doesn't work for me. So, I keep busy as I can! :lol:

Now, that may not apply to anyone else, I'm just reporting on "what it's like for me."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby gunner48 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't know much about god, other than him giving me the strength and courage to face life as it really is. Never had a drink knocked out of my hand or a flash of light. By working the steps I discovered what my MORAL beliefs were. I no longer treat others in a way I say is wrong. I now have the courage to live without Alcohol. My book said MEN OF FAITH HAVE COURAGE. Have I asked my God for the courage to face life today? Thanks you for the opportunities of today, I now ask that you put before me only the things you and I together can handle.
My responsibility is not to find god for the new person, it is to share my experience, strength and hope. If he is to find God, the desire must come from within. pg 95
On page 98 of my BB it said " It is not a matter of giving that is in question, but when and how to give. That often makes a difference between failure and success. The minute we put our work on a servive plane, the alcoholic commences to rely upon our assistance rather than upon God.
Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he TRUST IN GOD AND CLEAN HOUSE.
peace and love

PS Did you see how nice the moon looked tonight?
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:27 am

Yes! It's been an awesome moon the last three nights! I went out and howled at it in my best wolf impersonation. It didn't do much for my neighbors -- but, my dogs thought it was funny, and so did I! :lol:

The beauty of sobriety! Looking at a moon, or a bird, or bugs... and feeling like a kid all over again!

Thanks God, AA, and my fellows! I appreciate all that you have passed on to me!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm

yes the moon is beautiful and it was again tonight we have also been having some awesome colors at sunset GOD is an awsome creator I like to think of the sky as GODS constanly changing painting for all of us

Dallas THAT WAS YOU???? :lol:
ccs

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:15 am

:lol: :lol: Some things will never change! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:56 am

Dallas wrote:I know a lot of alkies that tell me that God keeps them sober. And, I have no reason to not believe them.

I got really ticked off at God -- because He wouldn't keep me sober!

I tried and tried to get Him to do it for me... and, I then had resentments towards God... for making me work so hard to make progress and to keep my sobriety... when, for other people, He just gave it to them and keeps them sober, and all they had to do was say some prayers!

One day, I was at the jumping off place -- really tight -- couldn't make it any further -- I got on my knees begging God!

Now, I can't swear it was God, telling me this, or if it was my head saying it, and making me think it was God... but what I heard was:

"Get your ass up off the floor and go stick your fingers in the dirt and work for what you pray for! I gave you dirt. I gave you fingers. I gave you the ability to work. And, now... you want Me to do your job for you? Screw you! Get your ass out there and get to work if you want something! Don't be begging me for it!"

Ever since then -- it changed my attitude about God, and about praying for things, and about hoping that God is going to do something for me.

My job is to work for what I pray for. God's job is to be God.

Staying sober, for me -- is my job. Not God's job. I don't know what God is supposed to do. That would be like me -- thinking about what my sponsor does. I'm not God and I'm not my sponsor. So, I need to focus on what I'm to do and learn my job and do my job. God will take care of Himself regardless of what I think about God, or what I think God's job is.

It's First Things First, for me. I look for the next right action, hope I'm taking the next right action, and end up where I end up. If it doesn't work -- then, I pick myself up off the floor or off the curb -- and try something different. But, there is no need for me to keep trying to do something that doesn't work for me. So, I keep busy as I can! :lol:

Now, that may not apply to anyone else, I'm just reporting on "what it's like for me."

Dallas

Pray for potatoes and grab a hoe
Tim

Postby leejosepho » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Dallas wrote:I got really ticked off at God -- because He wouldn't keep me sober!

So then, He made it onto your resentment list?!

Dallas wrote:Staying sober, for me -- is my job. Not God's job. I don't know what God is supposed to do ...

Maybe we do not all have exactly the same deal, or maybe we each just have a view of some different part of the elephant. But in my own case, I came here because I could *not* stay sober and needed to have someone or something far more powerful than me take care of that *for* me:

“My friend sat before me, and he made the point-blank declaration that God had done for him what he could not do for himself ... he had, in effect, been raised from the dead, suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life better than the best he had ever known!â€
leejosepho

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:07 pm

I decided what I posted here was too long! Too many words leaves too many holes for others to step in! And, may cause someone to trip. I don't want to be the hole digger that makes them trip. :lol:

For me: "Sobriety is not so much a gift from God, as it is the hard earned achievement of using the tools that God has given to me."

I think that's a lot more simple than all those words I previously wrote here! :wink:

Thanks for letting me edit! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks to all in the fellowship

Postby robbiechaos » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:42 am

Did anyone see the eclipse of the moon? it was weds. night just after moonrise. I think only the east coast could see it. It wasnt a total eclipse, just a shadow, but it was cool. This journey certainly takes courage, Ive only been on it for 2 months, It certainly took courage for me to build a relationship with my God. I was always vengeful and stubborn. So I attributed those defects to my God. LOL. Again I was kept in everlasting ignorance by my own fear. The big book again knows me better
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in Everlasting Ignorance-that principle contempt before investigation. pg568
I know myself. Im happy my higher power is turning out to be all the things I aspire to be. And I never thought in my life I would be so happy to be wrong or corrected by others. Thank you all for helping me to grow
robbiechaos

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing that robbiechaos! That's one of my favorite quotes! It's on page ... 569, in the paperback 3rd Edition and the hard cover 3rd edition -- but, either way, 3rd, or 4th... It's right underneath the Appendex II, Spiritual Experience! And, those are some of my favorite pages that I read often. Each time I read it, I seem to get more and more out of it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober