- Chapter 4 WE AGNOSTICS

Chapter 4 WE AGNOSTICS

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

Postby gunner48 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey Angel regular Pepsi is fine. Never developed a liking for those other flavors. I listen to others and gather what they say so I can apply that information to my life to see if I can formalate a new conception that will work better for me. My spirital developement is ever changing for the better. It is because others are willing to share how they have developed. ANY TIME SOMEONE TELLS ME MY BELIEFS ARE WRONG, I WILL FIGHT TO THE BITTER END. Don't tell me how to develope , Please show me how you were able to get what you have.
The most talented people I have ever meet were the walking examples of this great program. I can list hundreds but you already have your own examples.
I refer to last sentence on page92 and continues thur the page 93 to first sentence page 94
Peace and Love
Last edited by gunner48 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Hey... Just in case I'm included....... It's not my business what anyone believes and I sure haven't been trying to convince anyone of anything. Hopefully, I didn't need to write that, but thought I would -- just in case.

I know what I believe and why I believe it. That's all that's important to me and I don't try to defend it nor do I try to get anyone to go along with me.

If it "appears" that I'm doing so, please point it out to me. 99% of communication is "what someone else thinks I said"... and I take full 100% responsibility if my communication has failed. I feel it's not someone elses responsibility to "hear" what I've said or wrote... It's my responsibility to clean it up if I wasn't effective in my communication.

I need other people to point out to me the things in me that they see that I don't see. There are things that I won't see -- and without someone pointing it out -- I'm screwed.

So... "if it appears to anyone" that I'm doing something -- please be kind enough to let me know -- so I can clarify it or clean it up.... Don't expect me to read your minds. I'm too busy reading my own.

A lot of alkies here get ticked off at me -- because they're doing things "by inference"... I don't do "by inference." When I "do by inference" I always get it wrong -- so I don't try to figure out what's not said to me in black & white.

If you have to, grab me by the neck and say "Hey Dallas! This is what I think you're doing! " And, ask me "Are you doing that?"

I would appreciate that courtesy...

Thank you, to all.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby leejosepho » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Tim wrote:
leejosepho wrote:Show me "a god of your own understanding" in our Basic Text and I will buy the next round of cheery-cherry floats!

Step 3 "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him"

Bill closes our Basic Text with "Abandon yourself to God as you understand God" (page 164) just to be sure we have not misunderstood *him* ... but hey, folks, this has been one of my more enjoyable encounters.

Peace to all.
leejosepho

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 am

So, somebody tell me what's going on. Is anyone nerved up about something? Especially nerved up about something I wrote. Like I say... I'm too busy thinking about me to think about you.... so, when you think I'm directing something at what your writing... trust me, I'm too self-centered to be doing that! :lol: :lol:

Heck, it doesn't bother me with who believes what. Half the time I don't know what I believe... so I try to stay away from the believing stuff and I just try to focus on taking actions.

It went the same way with my drinking. I didn't sit around thinking about my drinking or thinking of what someone else thought about it. Didn't matter to me... I drank for the results not for the opinions! :lol:

If I cared about opinions I would have become a philosopher instead of a drunk! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Dallas wrote:So, somebody tell me what's going on. Is anyone nerved up about something?
Dallas

I think that we alcoholics like to stir things up once in awhile. And most of us are opinionated. I've always liked reading what people write here, whether I agree or disagree.

Sometimes I disagree, then agree. Sometimes I agree, then disagree. Sometimes I agree and stay agreed. Sometimes I disagree and stay disagreed. But I've never been so agreeable or disagreeable that I've taken a drink over it.

You can take anything I write with not just a grain but a whole shaker-full of salt or simply ignore it.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Dallas likes what Tim wrote:Sometimes I disagree, then agree. Sometimes I agree, then disagree. Sometimes I agree and stay agreed. Sometimes I disagree and stay disagreed. But I've never been so agreeable or disagreeable that I've taken a drink over it

I agree! Ditto. I go through that with myself on things that I think, write, and say all the time. I've just come to accept it as normal for me. I don't like getting upset with myself when I change my mind -- so I don't get upset when I change my mind. :lol:

Some alcoholics (including me)... like me one minute and they don't like me the next minute. So, rather than let it get me nerved up -- I work on thickening my skin rather than let it spoil my day or my life. :lol:

A long time ago if someone ever told me that I was jealous -- I'd a probably whacked them and said "you don't know me at all!"

Then, I discovered... there are times when I can be jealous... and maybe I do get jealous -- I'm not sure about it, but I can see that "I might" do it -- but, regardless if I can see it or not... I think I know fo sho that it's there. Someone has a nicer car, mo money, mo records, mo chicks, mo nicer clothes, mo friends, mo liked... and it will bring out some of my character defects called "a sense of personal inadequacy." And, when SOPA gets kicked arount -- I'll come out fighting like a tiger to be right about something so that I can get some inner-validating attention that says "aww man... you just as good as that one"! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Dallas wrote:
Dallas likes what Tim wrote:Sometimes I disagree, then agree. Sometimes I agree, then disagree. Sometimes I agree and stay agreed. Sometimes I disagree and stay disagreed. But I've never been so agreeable or disagreeable that I've taken a drink over it

I agree! Ditto. I go through that with myself on things that I think, write, and say all the time. I've just come to accept it as normal for me. I don't like getting upset with myself when I change my mind -- so I don't get upset when I change my mind. :lol:

Some alcoholics (including me)... like me one minute and they don't like me the next minute. So, rather than let it get me nerved up -- I work on thickening my skin rather than let it spoil my day or my life. :lol:

A long time ago if someone ever told me that I was jealous -- I'd a probably whacked them and said "you don't know me at all!"

Then, I discovered... there are times when I can be jealous... and maybe I do get jealous -- I'm not sure about it, but I can see that "I might" do it -- but, regardless if I can see it or not... I think I know fo sho that it's there. Someone has a nicer car, mo money, mo records, mo chicks, mo nicer clothes, mo friends, mo liked... and it will bring out some of my character defects called "a sense of personal inadequacy." And, when SOPA gets kicked arount -- I'll come out fighting like a tiger to be right about something so that I can get some inner-validating attention that says "aww man... you just as good as that one"! :lol:

Dallas

I hear you, Dallas. My own skin may not be any thicker these days, but I'm less likely to get my feathers ruffled thanks to the 12 Steps and AA program. There's a lot more that rolls off me like water off a duck's back instead of like buckshot off a duck's heart.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

I understand. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

The Truth

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 am

Well gifts I get.

I have been debating, praying trying to quit smoking the last few weeks. I have thrown about a dozen half packs in the garbage.

So today I go to meet a guy for lunch and I am having a smoke. I even prayed for strength the last 24 hours you know to do it my way.

So I finish the smoke to walk into the restaurant and through it into the storm drain and as I walk to the restaurant door these two young guys walk up and flash a badge (all the cops in Singapore look like high school kids I guess I'm getting old) and my heart starts to race just like it does whenever I see flashing lights in the rearview mirror you know the way we are programmed and all.

Well the little bugger fines me the equivalent of about $200.00 USD for littering. That HP man sense of humour or what.

I'm finsihing this last pack and that's it I swear.

Going for a smoke now.

I could be lying on a beach in Bora Bora with all the money in the world and be going completly insane if left to my own self. This much I know is true.

It's better trying to figure out how I can be of service ;-)

Cheers,
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:04 am

Yep. I understand. It's always better to have one more last cig before you quit! :lol:

I used to want to say that with my drinking... Didn't get very far with it until I got some outside help! :lol:

But, if stopping smoking takes you on the brink of a drink... by all means fire it up! Or... at least I would!

Or... you could go to one of those accupuncture guys... take some fishing line with you and get a cheap lip zip! :lol:

Just don't leave any spaces the size of a staw!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study