- Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:38 am

I suffered the magnet syndrome.

I was naturally attracted to alcohol -- and alcohol had a natural attraction to me! We just couldn't pull ourselves away from each other! :lol:

I tried all the things listed in Chapter 3, (I think it starts on page 31 BB)... except for one -- the "not take a trip." I never tried the "not take a trip" one! (Hey... I guess I had to leave a little imagination out there! )

I started to write ... that the longest relationship I ever had -- was my relationship with alcohol.

Then, I realized... that's not true! I have now had a relationship with sobriety that has lasted longer than my relationship with alcohol!

I never ever thought I would ever ever be able to say that! I remember being new in AA, and hearing a guy say that he had been sober for longer than he drank! I immediately thought... "well you didn't drink for very long, did you?" :lol:

My thoughts were -- that I had drank for so many years, that it would be impossible for me to live as long as I drank, let alone stay sober for that long!

I guess we are still in the age of miracles! eh? :wink:

Nice to chat with you Robert. Seems like everyone else's pc is locked up or has a wedgie or something in it! :lol: I was having that problem last for the last two weeks! I had computer problems and Internet service problems.

PC... and when I wrote that aboe I was referring to Personal Computer!

Now... I'm thinking of PC as in Pink Cloud!!! (My mind is quick to change, huh?" ) :lol:

It used to really get to me to have old timers tell me things like "Well! You're just on a Pink Cloud! Don't get used to it! It'll be gone in a few hours or days..." And, then they'd laugh with those unhappy laughts... hahahahah hahahahah :twisted:

Heck, I've had a Pink Cloud going on for years! Sure... there were let downs, obstacles, problems, heart-breaks, disappointments, injuries, losses, times that my ass was falling off ... but the PC was still nearby.

I believe that just like drinking caused us to be under the influence and effects of alcohol -- sobriety and living with the spiritual-tool-kit (and using it daily) produces a Dallas that's under the influence and effects of Higher Powered Living! And, that is most often the Pink Cloud effect for me! I also believe that this is one of the really unique propositions in the Big Book that often get's overlooked.

I know, and I understand, what Bill Wilson meant, when he wrote that he felt as though he had been rocketed into the 4th diminsion! That has been a reality for me!

Enjoy the moment!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jim W » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 am

"I've been taught that A.A. "does not wish to engage in any controversy", yet your position on the word "recovered" is at the heart of so many A.A. controversies, that it splits one fellow against the other. It's an argument I've seen cut into and asunder our very first Tradition of Unity. But you probably well know and understand alcoholics yourself. I've seen alcoholics make a controversy out of what brand of tires to use. "

That's controversy that brings us into the public eye. A little controversy within the fellowship isn't a bad thing if gets us to think and stirs discussion. That's what the minority opinion is about. Besides that, the most controversial subject in AA is AA itself.

As for recovered vs. recovering, I'll say this. The book is either true or it is not. You either believe it or you don't. Most people that say that they are recovering aren't.
Jim W

Postby ROBERT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Funny....I'll talk of not getting into topics of controversy-then, thats what I do, EXCEPT, I think I'm justified in doing so because--"The poor little feller needs my help"-which in it's self is not a bad thing --it's just most of the time he/she never asked for my help--I just figured they needed me to--"Straighten them out" so with that i'll say this--I know the big book uses the word-RECOVERED 152 times, mostly in the present tense-- I draw my conclusion from that. " ADIOS"
ROBERT

Postby Jim W » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:15 pm

ROBERT wrote:Funny....I'll talk of not getting into topics of controversy-then, thats what I do, EXCEPT, I think I'm justified in doing so because--"The poor little feller needs my help"-which in it's self is not a bad thing --it's just most of the time he/she never asked for my help--I just figured they needed me to--"Straighten them out" so with that i'll say this--I know the big book uses the word-RECOVERED 152 times, mostly in the present tense-- I draw my conclusion from that. " ADIOS"

Well to begin with it isn't about straightening anyone out. This is a forum for the discussion of things AA. And one of the myths being perpetuated is that an alcoholic can't get well. Thank God I encountered some men that didn't doubt the power of God and said you don't have to stay sick. You can get well.

I draw the same conclusion you have by the way. I'm not recovering, I have recovered.

A lot of us just sit in meetings and listen to this stuff and nod our heads and never question it. AA lemmings going over the cliff of an alcoholic death.

Why stay sick? Always recovering? Why practice false modesty and say I'm recovering when Ive recovered just so it won't ruffle feathers and cause a few to be uncomfortable? And there are quite a few who don't want you to get free, they want you to stay stuck in the lie of always recovering, of always being sick. When you say that you have recovered, you're messing up their comfort.

An alcoholic can stay sick in AA as long as he wants and he'll have plenty of company. An alcoholic can get well in AA and have plenty of company. Just gotta pick the company you want to hang with.
Jim W

Being Current

Postby Jim W » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:56 pm

" mostly in the present tense..."

I do like how you point that out Robert.

One of the problems I have encountered in my own spiritual life is being stuck in the past, or being attached to a past experience. I think many others encounter that as well, but don't realize it. I often say that if you are taking the steps for the first time, enjoy it, because you'll never take the steps for the first time again.

I found myself repeating the story of my experience of nearly nineteen years ago, when I first took the steps with my first sponsor. That does have some value, but not for me. I need a current experience with God. Like the book says, "There is one who has all power, that one is God-may you find him now." The first nine steps bring me to now and 10, 11, & 12 keep me in the now.
Jim W

Postby ROBERT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Yea...It doesn't say-" May you find him next thursday"- and yea until I had some experience at living, I really didn't comprehend what that phrase entailed, so when I meet fellow travellers, that are experiencing A.A. for the first time, I too forget, because It is a way of life today for me,that they probably don't comprehend either- and are stuck in old self-defeating patterns of thinking..."So as the result of the steps I have had an awakening"-- At times that is the only message I share. It is exciting getting to know you thru this site--A pleasure to meet you Jim W.
ROBERT

Postby Jim W » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

ROBERT wrote:Yea...It doesn't say-" May you find him next thursday"- and yea until I had some experience at living, I really didn't comprehend what that phrase entailed, so when I meet fellow travellers, that are experiencing A.A. for the first time, I too forget, because It is a way of life today for me,that they probably don't comprehend either- and are stuck in old self-defeating patterns of thinking..."So as the result of the steps I have had an awakening"-- At times that is the only message I share. It is exciting getting to know you thru this site--A pleasure to meet you Jim W.

Likewise Robert.
Jim W

Thank You All

Postby robbiechaos » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:02 pm

This is some good discussion here. Dallas thank you for all your wisdom especially how you change your mind alot and to not depend on you.

I thank my God for the people of my home group. I came into AA hopeless and desperate. And the first week, I almost stopped going to meetings. My first 7 meetings all I heard about was problems. Even the speakers told war stories 90% of the time, which I could relate to, but only vaguely refered to the solution. I was told "dont drink go to meetings", "meeting makers make it", ect.. they told me I didnt have to work the steps right away, just keep coming. Just call 3 drunks a day. and make 90 meetings in 90 days. You dont need a real sponsor, just call one guy everyday and you will be fine. Just come to meetings and share. But I knew that I wouldnt make it if making it meant just coming to meetings and complaining about my life and the people in my life. And I say complaining, please dont be offended, because identifying problems through discussion and seeking to remedy them is not the same as just whining about poor me. From what I was reading my problem was me and my obsession with myself. How was obsessing about me gonna help me stop being selfish? To me, at that in point in time, it was the the opitome of selfishness. That was me 3 months ago, I didnt have any tolerance and forgiveness for myself so certainly didnt have it for anyone else. And I believed that God helps those who help themselves. I knew I needed what the fellowship had to offer. The only people who I knew who had recovered from alcoholism, which I now knew I had because of the BB, Did so through the fellowsip of AA. But I knew that these group therapy discussion meetings were not my cup of tea. And again please dont be offended if they are for you, I just knew they wouldnt work for me.
Then I wanderered into a primary purpose big book meeting. And I heard PROBLEM/SOLUTION, PROBLEM/SOLUTION, PROBLEM/SOLUTION. After the meeting someone spoke with me about the PROGRAM of RECOVERY.He asked me if I was willing to GO TO ANY LENGTHS to be RECOVERED. I asked him to be my sponsor(Like God was speaking through me) and he proceeded to start me on this work. I told my "temporary sponsor" and he said "Ohhh No those are the children of the corn!!". I thank God for those Big Book Thumpers. LOL

The 2 newcomers that I met in my first meeting both have relapsed several times. I still hear them share about how meetings are "their medicine". I ask them if they have started their step work and they tell me their sponsors tell the "just dont drink and go to meetings".
I am not trying to make any controversy. If Group discession meeting are for you Thank God. I have even found, through my spiritual awakening no doubt, that I have compassion for the suffering. Something I never had before. That when I hear them now, what I thought was "whining" before, I see it for the true suffering that it is. I feel for them for what could be worse than being inslaved by yourself. I KNOW THEIR PAIN. But for the Grace of God go I.

I am RECOVERED, no controversy. What I will never be is CURED, I would love to be proved wrong about this though. Im just lucky that the medication I need to take everyday is so easy to swallow. LOL
robbiechaos

Postby ROBERT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm

One qualifier if I may:What we have is a daily repreive based on our spiritual condition:From the book, not opinion-so I am recovered TODAY, because I don't suffer from the mental obsession, the allergy is still there, but the mental obsession has been removed TODAY. :D
ROBERT

Postby robbiechaos » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Qualified Robert. Thank you
robbiechaos

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery