- Moments of clarity

Moments of clarity

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Moments of clarity

Postby 918gma » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:45 pm

Be afraid, be very afraid. There is this new disease out there called clarity. It seems to strike at any given moment. It’s uncontrollable. It doesn’t matter if you are acting insane, or just doing Gods will. At times, it can hit so hard, it leaves you wondering what the hell it was, almost like a tornado. It can make you feel real dumb too, like woe; I could have had a v-8, or some other really dumb drink that’s good for you. The worst part about it is that its gone almost as quickly as it came, leaving you back in your comfortable clamor, but knowing fully well that some thing cool just happened. Now you have to sit down and figure it all out. I hate that part the worst. I mean if your goanna hit me with something, leave a permanent mark so I can go back in my next wave of insanity and remember it to save me time. No, he lets you go on and forget so he can hit you again latter. I tell you Jane this higher power doesn’t play fair.
918gma

Postby Dallas » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:14 pm

Clarity. No need to be afraid!

Clarity. That's part of sobriety. That's part of the 12 Steps, recovery, well-being, emotional maturity, "well-briety". It happens automatically (as a result of taking and practicing the 12 Steps as a Design for Living). And, with sobriety, I obviously mean more than "just physically sober."

Big Book: Page 83 - 88 wrote: "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through."
What does that mean? It means: "Halfway through Step 9". The Promises (as we sometimes call them). That's the Step, that Bill was writing about on page 83.

If I bounce from Step 1, to 3, to 4, to 12, back to 3, another 4th, 3 again, part of 12, back to 1, another 4th, a 5th, then back to the 3rd again... Guess what? I never get halfway through Step 9, in the order in which the 12 Steps are layed out!!!! (Kind of like cooking a cake backwards! Ice it, put it in the oven, half-hour later take it out and crack some eggs on it, throw some flour on it and eat it! I'll have cake... but it might not resemble a cake at all!)

Have you ever noticed how many alcoholics will focus and think about the sickness of their problem, rather than focus on the well-ness and recovery in their solution? If you haven't noticed... silently observe it.

You'll begin to notice that those who focus and think of their sickness instead of their wellness... are the one's who will use terms like "Well... I'm just an alcoholic... what do you expect?" Or... "well, some of us are sicker than others." Guess what? They never seem to recovery. Imagine that!

This is why "cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness" (page 132).
Or, 12 & 12, Rule #62.

Negative thinkers add to their negative mind. They're not cheerful too often. They're depressed often. And, they don't laugh very much.

The problem centers in the mind. The solution (12 Steps) changes the mind. The Actions change my mind. My thinking is what keeps my mind changed. Change my thinking and I can change my life. Keep my thinking changing for the better... and the results in my life are sure to follow!

"The mind will always attract and manifest what it thinks about... it happens automatically. Therefore, my quest is to keep my mind on the things I want... and off the things I don't want."

When I want to be sick, I can think about being sick.

When I want to be well... I can think about wellness.

"It happens automatically... as a result of taking the 12 Steps in order, and continuing to practice them as a Design for Living!!!"

Perhaps... this is a moment of clarity!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity