- Gratitude

Gratitude

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Gratitude

Postby angel143 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:51 pm

What are you grateful for?

This was a topic at a meeting this week. I was wondering what you are all grateful for.

Im grateful for

1-Im sober
2-AA (and everything AA related)
3-My kids and family
4-I learned to love myself
5-Love
6-I have a job, food, shelter

(these are in no particular order and things can belong to more than 1 group, the only thing that is #1 and never changes is sobriety)

I have so many other things I am grateful for...these are just a few. I keep a list, and each day I add to it. So I can SEE all the good...when I cant see all the good.

So, will you share with me what you are grateful for?

Love ya
H
angel143

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm grateful for you, Heather. You've been such a wonderful ray of sunshine and hope and love on the site here. I'm grateful that you have allowed me to watch you grow in your sobriety. Each time I read or hear from you, the progress that you are making shows like a huge bright lighthouse on a hill, that is shining, and attracting others, and showing others that AA really does work -- for those that will grab hold of it and work it!

I'm grateful for DebbieV. I may know as much of her story as she knows about her story! :lol: I have watched her grow also -- from a scruffy looking chick with a ball cap on... to developing into a sober, married women with class and grace and dignity. I had the opportunity to watch her crawl out of the grime at the bottom of the barrel -- and prove -- that with AA's tools, and determination and effort -- we can make our own miracles happen!

I'm grateful for my puppies. God's dogs that He has shared with me, that have brought so much love and understanding and learning into my life. They are so precious -- and, for me, they prove that AA could even take a guy like me and turn him into a responsible, caring, loving, sober dog dad!

I'm grateful for each and everyone here on the forum -- regardless if we think alike or not -- I care deeply about each one here. I see them as all the angels that God has sent my way -- to help me stay sober and to have the good life that was offered to me, if I would do the work to have it.

I'm grateful for my sponsor, and grateful to have a sponsor!

I'm grateful for the guys that I've sponsored and the guys I sponsor. They are a real joy in my life -- and I watch them grow and mature in their sobriety, I feel closer than ever to them. I proudly watch their achievements -- not proud because of me -- but proud because of them, and for the AA tools that they use to work out their problems and to achieve their successes in life.

My list could go on and on and on and on and on!!! And, it does go on and on!

I'm grateful also for all the people that come here to the site looking for answers and solutions to their problems -- the people that we never hear from. The quiet readers and seekers. I feel their presence and it makes the presence of a loving God known to me.

I'm grateful that my fingers are tired and I've got a few things to do -- so that I can wrap this up and add more to it later!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for starting this topic Heather! I guess you knew that I could use it! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:31 am

Dallas wrote:I'm grateful for you, Heather. You've been such a wonderful ray of sunshine and hope and love on the site here. I'm grateful that you have allowed me to watch you grow in your sobriety. Each time I read or hear from you, the progress that you are making shows like a huge bright lighthouse on a hill, that is shining, and attracting others, and showing others that AA really does work -- for those that will grab hold of it and work it!

Dallas, Thank you! You are very kind.

I do the best that I can do on this day. I owe a lot to this site, and to you. This site, reading and learning and meeting people...its a gift.

Im grateful that you have this site.

Im grateful that you took time to help me. You showed me what I am capable of. I know that ultimately, its my decision to "just say no" to that next drink...but you found a way to show me that im strong enough to do that. I am powerless over alcohol, but not over myself. And now, I have the tools to keep it that way!!!

So Dallas, for you, I am very grateful.

Oh, and I want to add to my gratitude list...

Today, I am adding...

Grateful that my parents are back on U.S. soil!!! They have been in South Africa for almost 2 weeks. It will be great when they are back here in AZ.

Love ya

H
angel143

Postby gunner48 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Gratitude!!!!!!
Today I awakened to another beautiful day in my dear Missouri.

I am Sober and Happy

I am on the right side of the grass

My friends are held dear to my heart

I know how it feels to be loved (Shirley H used to say Gunner let us love you until You can love us back)

I know today how to love (when Bonnie woke up I was able to tell her how special she is)

The Big Book word Fairy hasn't shown up in my book lately

I use to ask God for 5 minutes of peace of mind today he grants me 24 hours.

My list could go on and on.

I came to you broken and battered. Head held low and knees like jelly. You took me in and gave me love, bandaged my soul and gave me hope. Today I walk with head held high ,Able to help not pass you by.

Peace and Love
gunner48

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm grateful that I'm 'not God', to borrow from the title of a book on the history of AA by Ernest Kurtz.

When I remember this, and my decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God, I am thankful that I am no longer running the show and God is.
Tim

Postby DebbieV » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 am

Thank you Dallas. So much I am grateful for started with that help up, from the grime at the bottom of the barrel. God knows that is where I was.

My list for today (part of it anyway):

I am grateful I stop drinking long enough for my liver to start to function again.
I am grateful I stop drinking before I died.
I am grateful I didn’t do more damage to my body than I did.
I am grateful for each day I wake up and take a breath in this beautiful town I live in.
I am grateful that I don’t live in fear of being hit.
I am grateful to have my mind back..clear and normal.
I am grateful to have food, clothes and a place of my own.
I am grateful to see a smile on my sons face.
I am grateful for my icemaker. ( I really am)
I am grateful for the pride I have in my appearance, and my body.
I am grateful for all the ones that came before me, who takes time out to help the ones like me and to teach us how to do the same for someone else.

No words can express how grateful I am for my sponsor. God put him in front of me and gave me the strength and discipline to accept his help. Thank you Dallas.

Debbie
Last edited by DebbieV on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 am

Wow! I noticed this "Gratitude Topic" has a whole six posts to it now!

I guess Gratitude will never be as popular as the discussion of "addicts in AA" with a 105 posts to it... probably because "Gratitude is an Attitude"... and it's one of the highly kept secrets of a happy, sane, sober and productive sober life! :lol:

Not much to argue about with Gratitude! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

Well, geez....maybe I just picked a bad topic...

I dunno, but I personally have lots to be grateful for!!!!
angel143

Postby gunner48 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:38 pm

I think you may have picked a great topic to talk about. Maybe the others are just thinking of all the great things that have happened to them before they post. AA's gratitude has only been around a little over 70 years and those other things have had hundreds of years to grow.

Sometimes I think in Abstract to gratitude such as how UN-PISSED I am.

Peace and Love
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:21 pm

It's a perfect topic Heather. We'll get to have it all to ourselves! :lol:

Grateful to be grateful.

Grateful to be un-pissed, too! (I like that gunner!) There's another one I've used "Grateful that I'm not as pissed as I could be!" :lol:

I'm grateful that I have one eye that's working... even if it is giving me problems right now.

I'm grateful that I'm not totally blind!

Vision is like freedom -- we can take it for granted until it's gone.

I'm grateful for coffee, a cup to put the coffee in, eggs, milk, butter, water, candles, perfumen, showers, shaving, hiarcuts, clean clothes, dirty clothes, dogs, cats, bugs (but not spiders, roaches, misquitos or flies), guitars, fingers, music, ears, spoons, forks, CD's, floppys, pc, laptop, cell phone, mouth, voice, pay phones, cars, taxis, buses, lipstick (on chics), panties (on chics), socks, shoes, boots, mirrors, glass, roof, couch, TV, Internet Service, Internet, Step12.com, Big Book, gunner, debbiev. angel143, cessie, paul, all the tims, robert, (too), spiderman, superman, cat woman, snow, heat, fire, ice, matches, lighters, seat covers, steering wheels, steers, cows, horses,......... I'm grateful for a big huge dictionary with all the names of the things that I'm grateful for! my sponsor, AA, God, angels, and more and more and more and more. And, did I mention more????
Very grateful for you, too... H!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery