- Catholic prayer/meditation

Catholic prayer/meditation

Meditation - a powerful tool for recovery!

Catholic prayer/meditation

Postby joelo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

i am looking for any insight from fellow Catholic AA members who have found books, etc. that have aided them in meditative and contemplative prayer. While i am open to any type of meditation, i have come up short on sources of Catholic meditation.

Thanks guys!
joelo

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 am

Joel--I sent you a PM message...Tim
Tim

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 am

Hey JoelO, I hope you're doing well.

Here is something you might be interested in:

1. Go to you tube and search for "Father Joseph Martin alcoholism"
Good stuff. I used to have links here on the site but I think they were removed.

2. Also, look for some talks by "Father Bill W." (won't find on You Tube). He was a Catholic priest and an AA. Great talks. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I'll see if I can make some mp3 copies of his talk and you can download them... Matter of fact, I may already have them as mp3 files... (now that I think of it) of him explaining and talking about all 12 Steps.

I'm sure that Father Bill W., included much about meditation on Step 11.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:33 am

Joel--I have listened to many of Father Martin's AA-related talks. One of my favorites is "Spirituality". He has some corny jokes, but the message is inspiring and encouraging.

You could also search for Father Fred, another AA whose talks on the 12 Steps were transcribed in book form. He has a practical, 12-step based approach to spiritual wholeness and emotional maturity.
Tim

Postby joelo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks guys!
joelo

Postby Fallon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 am

At times when I'm feeling the most anxious about situations, I turn to prayer. Everyday, it's some form of meditation that puts me at peace. I'd like to share a prayer to St. Jude that helps me in desperate times.

Most holy apostle st. jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus. The church honors and invokes you universally as the patron of hopeless cases of things almost despaired of. Pray for me I am so helpless and alone. Make use I implore you of that particular privilege given to you to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings particularly -(here make your request)- that I may praise God with you and all the elect forever.
I promise oh blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor. To always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you. Amen.

I say this prayer 9 times for nine days. On the ninth day, your prayer will be answered. The answer to your prayer is not always what you request, but what God believes you need.
Fallon

Re: Catholic prayer/meditation

Postby mikesanders » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 am

Catholics in recovery should all be aware of the Calix Society, founded in 1947. calixsociety .org
mikesanders

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks for your info Mike.
We don't allow outside links to sites to be posted in the forum here.
So, why don't you post some info here about Calix Society -- and those that would like a link to other info about it, can send you a Private Message requesting links and info. ;-)

I took a look at the Calix website and it does look interesting and possibly very helpful to Catholics.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 am

Also search Father Keating his contemplative prayer stuff is straight in with the power ;-) Even Shiva would agree ;-)
Ranman99

Return to Meditation and Recovery