- Redeeming things

Redeeming things

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 am

Hmmm. Good stuff all. Learned who Tyketto to were and good song but and another reminder you need more than talent in that business.

I knew Debbie and not really my bag either but through reading this thread I came across Johnny Cash and one I had never heard though some of you may have so I check out this and the video for Hurt on youtube and decided to get the whole American collection of Cash. All in about 20 minutes. Touches me.

Johnny Cash
Unchained lyrics

I have been ungrateful, I've been unwise.
Restless from the cradle, now I realize.
It's so hard to see the rainbow through glasses dark as these. Maybe I'll be able from now on, on my knees.

[chorus]
Oh I am weak. Oh I know I am vain.
Take this weight from me, Let my spirit be unchained.

Old man swearin' at the sidewalk, I'm overcome.
Seems that we've both forgotten, forgotten to go home.
Oh have I seen an angel, or have I seen a ghost? Where's that Rock of Ages when I need it most?

[repeat chorus]

For full effect watch the video for this (and Hurt) when you read it and remember what this man lived through from beginning to end and then it really hits home. For me anyhow.

Cheers,
Ranman99

Postby tim-one » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks, 99.

Yep. Johnny Cash ... the gratitude of an addict/alkie. Shows in his work. It's very AA to notice the progression in his life. He's all over the BB ... just like me.

Here's another one that obviously needs no redemption. Recognize the tune?

Tell me Lord,
What have I ever done
To deserve even one
Of the pleasures I've known?

Help me Lord,
What did I ever do
To deserve loving You
Or the kindness You've shown?

Lord help me H P, (sic)
I've wasted it so-help me H P, (sic)
I know what I am.

Now that I know
That I've wasted it so-help me H P, (sic)
My soul's in Your hands.

(Sorry I don't remember who to credit and I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment. I'll repent of that later. Anybody know?)

I sing that one often when I'm feeling real humblated and grateful. Stll can't sing it without tearing up. :cry:

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby ccs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:55 pm

hey Tim I think it was Mac Davis (really showing my age :lol: ) wonder what happened to him

here`s one I`m sure you all know

"so often that it happens we live our lives in chains and never even know we held the key"

sorry if I didnt get it word for word :cry:

love ya your Sister in Sobriety
Cess
ccs

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Oh Man. Now there's a memory I never would have had Cess I remember watching the Mac Davis show in TV with my mom as a kid. Long before Pink Floyd!!! Did you know Mac wrote "In the Ghetto" I suppose you do :shock:

Good thread here. Music is a great theme in my life and in my sobriety. I listen to a lot of new age and meditation type stuff now when I go out in the subway etc. Keeps me from killing people! I should try an experiment and put on Rage Against the machine and see if I can get to work without getting arrested! Just joking.
:wink:

Just sitting here showing my 5 year old girl the video for In the Ghetto. Today I stand a good chance of staying sober. Thanks All!!! I might even do somthing for some kids in an orphanage in Cambodia. There is a fellow doing some great stuff there if any
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Damn Dell laptop crikey has a mind of it's own perhaps. Just a side note if anyone has bandwidth outside of your current causes check out

www realizelives dot net young fellow from Colorado doing some great stuff up there!!
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Sorry it's dot org and just for anyone that wants to see the other side not to digress from our primary purpose!!!
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Maybe I should tell the story on this one. Some months back when I was about 4 months back in the program and working the steps like a bugge#$r this fellow sent me a note who is one of the founders of realizelives. Found me on LinkedIn and was new to Singapore. I went to meet him and another guy and as I was still unemployed so I thought this was one of those HP putting a job in front of me type of deals. I had had a few HP moments over the course of that week. Took me 10 minutes in the meeting with them to realise that they did not have a job for me. Took me several months to realize that for this one HP had a whole other deal goin' on :)

There you go! Nuff said 8)
Ranman99

Previous

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity