- Mythbusting

Mythbusting

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Re: Mythbusting

Postby DiggerinVA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Jim W wrote:I've heard in these parts to wait a year or until you feel better before you take the steps. If that was the case I'd have been feeling better on a barstool.

I hear you. I would have grabbed a six pack on the way.

Yea when I hear "Don't Drink and Go to meetings." I about puke. Because I would have been drunk on that thought alone. My second attempt at a sponsor got one thing right. "God had that book get into your hand for a reason." it was probably the only thing that could stop me.
DiggerinVA

Postby joelo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 pm

Er ... what's a GSR?
joelo

Postby gunner48 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm

The GSR is the elected person of your group that voices your groups voice at District and area meetings and brings back to your group the info. put out at those meetings. They also are the keeper of the traditions in the group. GENERAL SERVICE REP.
gunner48

Postby joelo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks Gunner ... that makes sense now.
joelo

Postby DebbieV » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 pm

I remember when I first got sober and was doing the steps, I showed up to start writing on my 4th step with my sponsor and pulled out a blue pen. He said "what is that? Is says put it down in black and white not blue and white, get a black pen then I will help you get started" I thought What the hell? Does it really matter what color pen I use? I didn't understand it at all...but I learned this valuable lesson I still use today. I call it "DO IT ANYWAY"

There were many things I didn't understand when I got sober, I the way I was living my life was not working and I needed help to learn how to live a life of a sober human being. So I learned real fast to DO IT ANYWAY.
I think for me the clue to all these "rules" for AA is to have a sponsor who can guide you through what rule is best for you.

I have heard not to make any life altering changes in your first year, but I moved 2000 miles away from my family at 6 months sober and it was the best thing I ever did.
I waited 11 months and 3 weeks before I went out on my first date sober and during that time alone I learned to love me and others.
I lead a meeting as soon as I did my steps.

I can't agree with Dallas more, some of the things I did and still do in AA irritates the crap out of me, but thank God I had a sponsor who was a hard ass at times and said DO IT ANYWAY, because in my life sober today I have to have discipline and the only place I have ever learned it is in AA.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 pm

DebbieV wrote:I remember when I first got sober and was doing the steps, I showed up to start writing on my 4th step with my sponsor and pulled out a blue pen. He said "what is that? Is says put it down in black and white not blue and white, get a black pen then I will help you get started" I thought What the hell? Does it really matter what color pen I use?

I hope your sponsor didn't allow you to use anything other than a fountain pen. When the book Alcoholics Anonymous was written only fountain pens were available for writing a 4th step; ballpoint, gel, or other pen types had not yet been invented.

If your sponsor wants to make an issue of the ink color, he might as well make a point of using the same type of pen as the pioneers used.
Tim

Postby GeoffS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Keep coming back Tim.
GeoffS

Previous

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics