- AA is a selfish program

AA is a selfish program

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Maybe. I feel more like I'm guessing at it! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby gunner48 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Robert I think you are right and Dallas too. There must be so many ways of humility. I just have to remember that if I'm doing things to make myself feel more than I am that isn't humility, and if I'm doing what I am able and capable of then maybe I am expierencing some form of humility. Any form is better than I use to have.

Peace and Love
gunner48

Postby ROBERT » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I believe this-----perception is never incorrect, it may not work well for us, but that doesn't make it inacurate, as we mature,it may change (hopefully)-and if it does... it is correct again, then, our perspective may have developed a little more maturity as well- hopefully. :D luv to all
Last edited by ROBERT on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:50 pm

Excellent stuff all thank you for that. Some great reading and great ideas. Had a new comer this morning and spent an extra hour before heading for work sharing my ES and H and I think it was well recieved but hey I carried the message so that was a great start to the day.

Now another hot topic that should have a few opinions out there.

Current there are two meetings in Singapore that are in public places. At coffee shops to be specifically. The morning meeting starts a half hour early before a specific coffee shop opens to the public and generally there are rarely any patrons during our whole meeting. Of course you still have some staff around and they are bringing coffee and breakfast some times but they are very good and in an out of our area fast.

For me I'm OK with it. As you do I am cautious enough with my Alcoholic status with workmates and others etc. but I really don't care that much any more. God willing I will be winding down my career over the next few years and really ready to try other stuff. I absolutley now put my sobriety ahead of all other things because all other things work out as long as I do that. Of course striking the balance with wife and kid etc.

What are Y'Alls experience and thoughts on meetings held in public places. My sponsor is anti public place but right now the morning one in a public place is the only one I can usually make daily so of course he knows that it is still vital. I suppose we will look around for other locals that are private.

Just curious :?: :P
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:10 am

Simple note: For our visitor's ease... we can start new topics and they might be interested in joining in on the discussion... in case they're not into "AA selfish" stuff. :lol:

Meetings in public places? Well. I drank and I fought and made an ass out of myself in public places... I guess it wouldn't hurt my reputation too bad -- if someone found out I was going to an AA meeting in a public place. :lol:

I've been to a lot of meetings and even helped out in started a few -- in restaurants. I especially like the cute little chicks pouring my coffee, winking at me, and calling me "honey"! :lol: (Something that other meetings lack). :lol:

A church is a public place. I've walked into a few church meetings looking for the AA meeting held at the same church. Didn't hurt none. They sure are big recruiters though!

Libraries. Same thing. They whisper to each other and say things like "THE ALCOHOLICS AND DRUNKS ARE MEETING IN THAT ROOM OVER THERE!" :lol:

I really enjoy breakfast meetings. Regardless if they are in a restaurant or a rented club. Especially, if it's a sunday morning breakfast meeting with a speaker after breakfast.

I guess it's kind of like praying in public. A temporary sponsor that I had once -- said I had to get on my knees in front of Jerry's Deli in Studio City California and say my 3rd Step prayer there. It was supposed to smash my Ego... and, it did. He also said it was about me showing myself that I really would be willing to go to any lengths -- to do whatever I had to do -- to stay sober. He said he did it that way and was just passing it on to me. He was a great guy. I wonder where he is now days. I hope he's doing well. Lost touch with him.

I know of another meeting that used to meet in a bar, and another meeting that met above the bar, and another meeting that was next door to the liquor store. When the person with the key didn't show up we met in the alley behind the liquor store. Those were all really good meetings also.

I realize that we've got an anonymity thing... and that's good... for AA. But, I also feel like I shouldn't be ashamed or embarrased to be associated with the sober drunks.... or with God, or with AA. It wouldn't be good for me to feel like I was trying on purpose to hide something about me -- and of course, common sense says it probably is a good idea to not reveal everything about me everywhere.

That's my take on it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 am

Yup good stuff. Wouldn't bother me non down on my knees in front of a Deli. Go for a big Montreal smoked meat right after and enjoy it.

Ya the waitresses here just love us and we tip too!!! :lol:
Ranman99

Postby ccs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:35 am

Hey now thats what I`m talking about $$$TIPS

I`m a server "(waitress)" and I love pouring coffee for big tipping A.A`s

:wink: :wink: :wink: Honey!!
ccs

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:26 am

Hey cool. You know tipping in Singapore is not common they normally have that service charge thingy instead but you know us AA's either extremly good tippers are cheap as dirt :)
Ranman99

Postby ROBERT » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:56 am

I've heard A.A.s are minimalists when it comes to tipping? Personally, any where is ok by me--I laughed at Dallass' post---Yea I did alot of, not so cool, drunken stuff(sometimes not drunk) in public places too! :oops: And breakfast mtgs are cool-there is one in Columbus, Ohio, that I've had the privilege to attend-great way to kick off the day. luv to all
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Drunks are often A-hole's when it comes to tipping. That's the first lesson I try to share with a newcomer -- when we're at a coffee shop, at a meeting after the meeting. I refuse to go to restaurants with those that treat a server with disrespect.... no matter how much they are suffering. It often shows up in how the do the 7th Tradition basket, too. "Our guiding princple becomes giving rather than receiving." It's the Law of Attraction. To him/her that gives -- more is given to give. To him/her that hoardes and takes -- more will be taken.

AA taught me that I'm an example -- Good or bad.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics