- What is your job now?

What is your job now?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

What is your job now?

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 am

"Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed."

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, Working With Others, Page 102

"This is the how and why of it. First of all, we had to quit
playing God. It didn’t work. Next, we decided that hereafter
in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director.
He is the Principal; we are His agents.
He is the Father, and
we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this
concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch
through which we passed to freedom
."

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, How it works, Page 62

"When we sincerely took such a position, all sorts of remarkable
things followed. We had a new Employer.
Being
all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close
to Him and performed His work well
. Established on such
a footing we became less and less interested in ourselves, our
little plans and designs. More and more we became interested
in seeing what we could contribute to life
. As we felt
new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we
discovered we could face life successfully, as we became
conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of
today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn."

Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book, How it works, Page 63

For me, these are the most incredible promises in our book. And, an experience that one should not miss.

What a relief! My job description. Let's me know what's expected of me. And, how I should perform my service. Rather than me trying to figure it out.

In trying to decide where and what I should do next? I can ask myself two simple questions:

1. Am I at the place where I may be of maximum helpfulness to others?

2. Am I headed to the place where I may be of maximum helpfulness to others?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 am

Thanks for this. One of the most remarkable things regarding my journey into 2009 was that I get my rear end fired again for the second time and boy did I need that. It set me up to have the correct amount of uncertaintly in my future to be teachable. I still fought boy did I but through the grace I started to surrender all of it. At just the right time I was called to an interview. My former US Marine sponsor had me reading How it works at every darn meeting during my 90 in 90 and I was starting to actually feel a bit embarrased like people were wondering why the heck is this guy was hogging how it works. Well then one fine day I just completed "... and God could and would if her were sought" at the exact moment I said sought my phone started to vibrate in my pocket and it was a call for an interview. Well I still had to do my bit as we do and three interviews later with some decent work on my part I had a new employer. The amazing thing of course is I did not get what I wanted I got precisely what I needed at this time not a mm more or a cm less. That's metric for you imperial types :lol:

Thanks for posting this Dallas. I should frame it and put it on my wall :?

Now 5 months later I just need to keep putting one hind foot in front of the other and make a sale :wink:

This is the right read for me today.
Ranman99

Postby sunlight » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Most times, the most helpful thing I can do is love.

And all times, the most loving thing I can do is be of service.
sunlight

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes love is the answer. Loving myself is a good idea too :lol:
Ranman99

Postby DiggerinVA » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:36 pm

This is a weekend. So today it is to take care of my son who has CP. It is the work God has laded out for us that is important. Today it is him. He tried to walk today and we will try again tomorrow. I hope some day he will be able to care for himself.

The thing I do on the weekends during my down time is to learn the history of AA. There will be a time when it is very helpful for some one.
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey Digger, nice to hear from you. It sounds like you already are "at the place where you can be of maximum service" by being of service to your son, who needs you most.

I'm sure that your son appreciates not only all that you do... but, I'll bet, if he understands... I'll bet he appreciates your sobriety, too! Without sobriety -- how could you be there for him in a dependable and responsible way? I understand. :wink:

I thank God and AA, that today, sober, I can do something for someone or something... sometimes, it's just something for my dogs, or my neighbor, or a stray cat, or someone having car trouble, or someone trying to cross a street. I believe all those things are important to God -- and, they sure make me feel better, when I do them. I'm just grateful to be alive and sober so that I can do them!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Today, my job is the bookie,for our group,i've been secretary,greeter,ticket person,and i also sponsor 2 guys right now.
lenny

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics