- How to get great things to come to pass for you!

How to get great things to come to pass for you!

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Let H.P. be your GUIDE!

See to it that your relationship with Him is right,
and great events will come to pass for you and
countless others. This is the Great Fact for us.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 164

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Now that I can accept statements that sound very religious without batting an eye I have come to like what Chuck C. once said that Sandy B. picked up on and espoused in one of his recorded talks. Basically where Chuck says the statement that "God looks after those who look after themselves" as being totally bogus. When questioned by Sandy Chuck responds that the deal is that it is not our job to look after ourselves that is Gods job and that it is our job to do Gods will. Not so many 24 hours ago that would have sent my temperature rising for reasons understood by some. Today I'm cool with such a statement. Of course on any given day at any given moment I stomp into the wheel house grab the big wheel with both hands and steer the boat out of the channel and bounce it off the rocks a few times. It does seem however when I focus on giving I receive more in return. Not material things just the right things 8) :lol: 8)

What I woud also like to know is peoples own understanding of the following term from the fourth paragraph page 55 of the big book "if you wish you can join us on the Broad Highway"

Please explain your conception of the Broad Highway! Or any known history of the term. I'm a slow learner for a guy that's so smart. :oops:

Ciao for now.
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:25 am

Not material things just the right things

It works for the material things, too! :wink:

It takes resources to help others.

I believe that he was referring to a Spiritual Path. Spirituality is a broad highway -- and religion often narrows it. I don't mean that in such a way as to criticize religion. Religion, ideally, is a defined spiritual path, with a particular flavor in mind. Spirituality is the buffet. I believe they both have the same objective: to be at one in their consciousness and their behavior -- with God.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:14 am

OK Cool. No worries I understand exactly. Been thinking about what approach I want to use for the resources. :shock:

Going to let that play out over the balance of this year HP willing as they say.

It's nice to have the freedom to ponder today. Damn to have sobriety and all those other monkies too I guess I can see why they don't work together so great. Gotta stay out of myself and out of my own way.:D

At least it's nice to see that it seems to work to the degree that I work it instead of all or nothing like me :roll:
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 am

It's nice to have the freedom to ponder today. Damn to have sobriety and all those other monkies too I guess I can see why they don't work together so great. Gotta stay out of myself and out of my own way

I understand. :wink:

On my first adventure into AA, I thought I had it all together. All I needed to do was just not drink -- and I could manage the world! :lol:

I only stayed sober for 5 1/2 months with that idea. :lol:

When I got my last chance to get sober again... I decided that it was not only a good idea, but it was necessary... that I re-arrange my priorities in life. Rather than focusing on material resources and money and social life and stuff... I had better figure out how to stay sober for a few 24 hours in a row!

For me, I had to resort to drastic measures. With sobriety being #1 in my life, I sold my business, sold my furniture and just about everything I had, and moved into a little rented one-room guest house -- where I could keep my life really simple. I just wanted a simple roof over my head figuring that this way -- I can focus all my attention on learning to live sober -- and staying sober.

Well, for me, that worked. It helped me get a reasonable foundation underneath me so that I could then move up in life... and rent a room inside someone elses house! :lol:

After that, I progressed to where I was able to share a house with someone else... but, that was slow in coming. It took me over two years to get that stable.

Now, I don't suggest that others are as sick as I was, or that they need to resort to the drastic changes that I did -- I simply understand what they mean, when they say "I've got to keep it simple and focus on my sobriety and living sober!" I still keep that as my #1 priority... even though my material situations in life have changed for the better.

For me, sobriety must come first. If I'm sober... I've got a chance to continue to learn to live life sober. And, if I'm sober -- when I do face problems or make mistakes -- I'm better able to be able to do something more intelligent about it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:28 am

Makes perfect sense. I was ready to sell off and in the mean time have started to make some key changes for the future so that in a pinch I can quickly go into simplify mode i.e. quit job go to meetings and whatever else I need. I suppose at the end of the day now I don't any longer have control of what tomorrow brings anyway just steer the ship the best I can for 24.

When I read your line about living with another I thought shoot don't think I could have done that so fast then I realised I do live with a couple other folks a bigger one and a littler one and it is always a challenge for me of course but one day at a time I need to be greatful :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea:

Good thread Dallas I will ponder some things and probably throw a new thread on tomorrow. Tried to do some recording tonight and was not happy with the result so I moped around in self pitty for an hour. Not sure which was more draining :?

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:32 pm

I really appreciate and admire the courage and the effort that those guys and gals make, that get sober while they still have their families and other important life things in tact -- when they get sober.

Sometimes, I think I had the easier softer way... because my family and loved ones and the things that were most important to me -- were gone by the time I got sober. I had pretty much lost it all except for the ability to hustle a buck and make money. But, that too, would be destroyed just as fast as I was making it.

I didn't have any experience handling responsibilities -- while sober. That, was too tough for me. And, it was one of the reasons that it made it so difficult to stop drinking. I had responsibilities. And, I needed drinks -- to deal with it. Until, I no longer had the responsibilities. As a result, many of my loved ones and friends -- suffered as a result of my drinking.

So, I really admire the alcoholics that are able to hang on to their jobs and families and take care of responsibilities -- and face the uneasy task of getting sober, at the same time! My hat is off to them. (No. I don't really wear a hat... and I gave up the long coat!) :lol: My plate was over loaded and too heavy -- in just trying to take care of and deal with me (newly sober)! Perhaps, that's one of the reasons that the old-timers would say to me... "You'll still be a newcomer at 5 years sober"... and when I got to 5 years... they upped it to 10! (And, some of them still keep doing that to me!) :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey Dallas, I can relate and I suppose more than anything I realise that anything can happen drunk or sober. These days I have decided to be quite content that I owe the universe some dough for the blessing I did receive when I was less then performing at 100% :lol:

I am also very very aware these days that my sobriety and condition are one day at a time and that I can always pick up where I left off. I did manage to cut my annual income in half twice and wifey was not to pleased about that 8) Part of the mopping the floor every morning amends there. :oops:

But today I have all I need and I expect I won't drink today:P

Weird how the 12 steps are the easier softer way that we fight like a bugga!

I'm quite amazed at the fellars that come in and stay sober on fellowship alone. i.e. 4 or 5 years and not workin any steps. That blows my mind. I could not do that. I figure they sure as shoot must have had a lot of pain to be able to stop and not change :twisted:

I never could fight a single urge in the past so to have it lifted was absolutley the only option for me. Now to keep it lifted and have all the relationships with my AA and HP team in place incase/when a sneaky urge would jump me and try to get me drunk :idea:
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Well. Maybe, we were a little sicker than others. :lol:

I've often thought of that in my case -- and if that's the deal -- I'm glad that I was sicker than others. Had I not been forced into doing what I had to do, just to live sober -- I would have never discovered the good life that I have now.

I remember reading something Bill wrote somewhere... I think it was in the 12 & 12 in regards to taking the 12 Steps and adhering to our way of life. It was something about -- they weren't in a situation like we are, where it's a to-do or to-die circumstance. And, he doubted if they could muster up what it takes to get the job done. Now, whatever I read -- I'm paraphrasing it... I'm sure he didn't use those words... just expressed a similar idea.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 am

I understand it. I'm grateful today to have a floor and a mop. Quite grateful I made it out of that hotel alive as well. One day at a time eh!

Grateful to have a recovery job so I better do it to the best of my ability 8)
Ranman99

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics