- Step 1 Powerless over alcohol

Step 1 Powerless over alcohol

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

unmanageability

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:32 pm

hey JR, you ok? what i PM'd ya, is in 918's "Dont forget to charge the Batteries' been thinking about your ? on unmanageability. i dont know if your a High, Mid, or Low bottom study. for me, it was below, low! arg, rrr, and a big phoey! ppppppppppp what i do know. is ask your self. has alcohol made you do things you didn't want to do??? and the other! has alcohol prevented you from doing things you wanted to do??? ... as you honestly answer these questions! pretty shure it wont be long before you come to realize the unmanagable part of your ism. ... hey JR, for me, even in recovery. at times my thinking can be unmanageable. its my disease, my "Band of Gypsy's" in my head that do the dirty work. they do not want me to be Happy in sobriety. they want me to drink, or drug! it's self sabotage for Rusty. thats when i'm wondering away from the daily disipline. so step- 1 is realy important to fully understand. yup, both parts. good wishes JR, your in the right place. xoxo Rusty, aka PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Hi Rusty

Postby JR » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:52 am

Oh yeah, I've done plenty under the influence that I regret and that I wouldn't have done otherwise. And yes it has kept me from doing things that I wanted to do.

Dallas gave me a pretty big assignment. I've started working on it, but I'm scared I will give him the wrong answer and he'll say I'm not done yet.

Bottom wise, I'm high bottom this time, low bottom last time. But the feelings are the same. Hopeless, sad, confused, disappointed in myself and scared.

I'm doing okay though, Rusty. I've been busy grocery shopping and cooking for the camping trip tomorrow and taking the occasional break to computerize. I only have to spend one night with the family and then it will just be me and my husband for two nights. My husband is very supportive in my not drinking efforts. He said he saw our future going down in flames on my last night drinking, it was pretty ugly. We have a lot to lose.

Thanks for your support!!!!! JR
JR

promptly

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:16 am

hey, pretty funny JR,... i promptly admit wrong!!! i hit the send button twice :roll: lol. JR, easy does it, you know that one im shure. and nothing to be scared of. there is nothing to fear in the dark. thats not there when the lights come on!!! take it slow, and honest. Dallas is all helpfull, and i believe not the judgeing kind. only truthfull. we alkys dont like to be told what we do not want to here. what we need is, to be told what we need to hea :!: :!: :!: easy does it, but do it! lol xoxo Rusty
Rusty Zipper

Powerless

Postby JR » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:50 pm

When I was 17 I took my first drink. I got drunk and blacked out on my first try. I was on a trip with a choir I was in at the time and they sent me home.

My father was in a treatment facility at the time for his alcoholism. My mother took me there to be lectured by the nurses and doctors there. I told them about my experience and they talked to me for awhile. They pronounced me alcoholic that day.

That was in 1979. I spent the next four years living up to there diagnosis. I never once tried to control my drinking except for one brief 90 day period in 1981.

Today, I'm still powerles over alcohol. I know that there will come a time when I will have no effective mental defense against the first drink and that defense must come from a Higher Power. I feel that I have admitted to my innermost self that I am alcoholic. So, I must move on to step 2.

Thanks for all your sharing and for being here.

JR
JR

Postby Jools » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:40 am

I got so much out of these posts and I want to thank you all even tho it was a few yrs ago.

Dallas, you never cease to amaze me as to how you explain things. I wish I could just put a tape in my head with all the wisdom and experience you have in yours.

Peace ,
J
Jools

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow J!!! Thank you for such a kind comment. If I can ever get those tapes out of my head -- I'll be sure to send them to you! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

step 1

Postby twilight2dawn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:22 pm

I am new to this site and to AA in general. It is a godsend since I live in the boonies and have to drive a minimum of 50 miles one way to meetings. This is a big help! I have a sponsor now and she is having me try to absorb the full meaning of the first step, as she doesn't think I get it, so these perspectives have been helpful. Thanks to all.
twilight2dawn

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:07 am

Welcome to the site! Glad you found us! I hope you'll let yourself feel at home here.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

powerless

Postby GratefulDead » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:10 pm

I've always found that using honesty - the idea behind taking the first step - really allows me to work step one. I have to admit to myself that I am powerless over alcohol - as well as people places and things.

When I admit to my most inner self, that I am powerless over these things, I can truly begin the recovery process.
GratefulDead

Postby josh f » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am

dallas

i like what you write you seem to have a good outlook on life and have reminded me to. of how i use to view life, from a postive way. this is the first time that i have done the online deal. im in the military and overseas right now and have no other options. as strange as it may sound my disease has caught up with me again. take care man
josh f

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps