- FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION

FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

discussions helpful

Postby Vickie V » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:16 am

I think it is important to discuss absolutes because it certainly gives me a better understanding of alcoholism. I guarantee you today I am have no desire to get myself enflamed over debates once asking for help to understand the Foreword. I appreciate this discussion thoroughly.

Even if the ending result is there are no absolutes, besides Honesty, unselfishness, love and purity of course. It sounds like someone is also saying there are no musts in the Bigbook. lol:

I am learning more about the big book and I tell you what. More may be revealed yet why are success rates going down, why are the rooms (around here anyway) empty or there are no rooms.

Since I have moved, I realized there is a community of therapists, treatment centers and AODA Counselors that don't encourage meetings infect just the opposite. Also one lady walked into the AA meeting and said she has been seeing the same therapist for 7 years and can’t stay sober.

I still believe the forward of the book is laying out a foundation of hope.
I do believe I recovered from alcohol as I don't pick up the drink and I am here to show others how to do just that. I recovered. I don't drink alcohol today and haven't for a few 24 hours.

Maybe it is recovered one day at a time. I am confused. Actually the physical and mental are both contingent on a daily reprieve. Okay that’s it I am recovered daily based on my spiritual condition which includes Honesty, Unselfishness, love and purity.
Vickie V

Postby carol1017 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:37 am

Dallas, based on only the Foreword, as shown here, I would agree with you; it does sound as though one can be "cured" of alcoholism. It requires further reading in the book to discover that the "cure" is only temporary -- one day at a time, contingent on one's spiritual condition.

I just finished reading a book about Ebby Thacher -- Bill W.'s "sponsor". Ebby never managed to put together more than 8 years of continuous sobriety, though he was 2 1/2 years sober when he died. Ebby seemed to be one of those who thought that he was "cured", that he could drink normally, that he did not have to maintain the spiritual condition that he found when he brought the message to Bill. Each time he "recovered", he kept searching for that same feeling of freedom and release that he found the first time. Perhaps if he had worked harder at maintaining that spiritual condition, he would not have relapsed so many times.

There are days that it is a struggle for me to stay "recovered", but it's well worth the effort for me to do so -- I do not want to go back to that "seemingly hopeless state of mind and body". I ain't perfect (well, not yet! :lol: ), but every day I learn a little more, and it sure beats the alternative!!!!

The day I stop learning, stop questioning, stop growing, will be the day I lose my "recovery".
carol1017

Postby anniemac » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:10 pm

My understanding is, that the term "recovered" applies to the hopeless state of mind and body of the active alcoholic; not to alcoholism. Therefore, one can recover from that hopeless state but not be cured of alcoholism. Being recovered from that hopeless state of mind and body, to me, in no way implies perfection of any sort. To me, it means that if I work/live/apply the 12 Steps to my life on a daily basis in all of my affairs, I am no longer in a hopeless state. As soon as I cease to maintain that spiritual condition, all bets are off.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm

Time after time after time after time -- I have met with newcomers, who have shared with me "I had been sober for 25 years (some differences in years) and I didn't think that one drink would hurt me." -- I have also heard them say things like "I thought that since I had been sober for 15 years, that it wouldn't have been as bad as it was" -- and, the common denomenatotors were:

1. I thought I was recovered.
2. I thought I could drink again.
3. I can't get sober again.

For me -- I've always wondered "Why the importance of spending so much time and energy on semantics, and attempting to be right about something that is going to result in further confusion?"

Dallas
Last edited by Dallas on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Precise, Specific, Clear-cut and Exact Directions

Postby PatchesPal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 am

I want to have a little fun with this one. Please note the second sentence:

"To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book."

Next, take a look at page 20:

"If you are an alcoholic who wants to get over it, you may already be asking, "What do I have to do?" It is the purpose of this book to answer such questions specifically."

Again on page 29:

"Further on, clear-cut directions are given showing how we recovered."

Page 45 continues:

"Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be A Power Greater Than Ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself, which will solve your problem. ..."

I did not realize what the Big Book was about until someone showed me this little sequence. Precise, specific, clear-cut and exact directions are what I needed as I did not know how to recover. If I had known, I would have started long before I did. The worst part is that I had attended meeting for years and stayed sick until I was show how to recover.

My greatest hope is that new people will be introduced to the instructions as early as possible.

It continues
PatchesPal

12th Step

Postby rkdian34 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 am

This step clearly state that we "practice the principles" that we learned as a results of working the steps. The only step that I cannot complete is the 12th step. If I continue to practice these simple principles, I will never be an alcoholic again.
The book clearly defines what an alcoholic is; that is what I used to be, not what I am today...I have recovered from that "seemingly hopeless state of mind and body"
This does not mean that I am "cured". "Cured" is a medical term and science has not yet invented a cure.
All the answers are in the steps. There is a solution to alcoholism!
rkdian34

Re: 12th Step

Postby GeoffS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 pm

rkdian34 wrote:The only step that I cannot complete is the 12th step.

How do you complete step 10?

Do you know when you'll make a mistake in advance? Or are you perfect?

Or complete step 11? Do you have full knowledge of gods will for you, forever? Do you have all the power you will ever need then?

I would love your help on these.
GeoffS

Postby rkdian34 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:02 pm

GeoffS wrote:
rkdian34 wrote:The only step that I cannot complete is the 12th step.

How do you complete step 10?

Do you know when you'll make a mistake in advance? No

Or are you perfect? No

Or complete step 11?

Do you have full knowledge of gods will for you, forever?Yes

Do you have all the power you will ever need then? Yes

I would love your help on these.

GeoffS,
I am not trying to impress anyone with my "Wisdom" What I am trying to do is carry the message as I understand it today. I may understand it differently tomorrow. My past understanding, as presented by the fellowship, failed miserably for me and cost me dearly. My biggest regret in my past life is my lack of understanding of this program.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we
were wrong promptly admitted it.

I have read this step a thousand times and never asked the question, "Continued from what?" The answer as you know is the forth step. I have found that anytime I am upset it is because the "exact nature (singular) of my wrongs (plural) has come back to haunt me. Just recognizing the problem is not enough because the conflict still remains. It is this step where we are led to "...a daily reprieve based upon our spritual condition."; the 11th step.
"praying only for..."

I believe the 12th step is the answer to the 11th step. Now I only have to practice the principles I have learned.
The principles are: Honesty, Evaluation, Confession, Prayer, Meditation and Action.

Respectfully,
Charles I. "Recovered Alcoholic"
rkdian34

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm

rkdian34 wrote:I have found that anytime I am upset it is because the "exact nature (singular) of my wrongs (plural) has come back to haunt me. Just recognizing the problem is not enough because the conflict still remains. It is this step where we are led to "...a daily reprieve based upon our spritual condition."; the 11th step.
"praying only for..."

I believe the 12th step is the answer to the 11th step. Now I only have to practice the principles I have learned.
The principles are: Honesty, Evaluation, Confession, Prayer, Meditation and Action.

Charles--There is a lot here for me to chew on.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:03 pm

My better judgement says "don't comment". :lol:

So, I won't comment on your message above. :lol: :lol:

But, I will say, in my BB, Step 10, says "continued TO" and not continued FROM.

And, in Step 11, in my book, there is no question mark.

In the abc's... (page 60, Chapter 5, How it works) it mentions "spiritual progress" rather than "spiritual perfection".

For me, I see that as a caution, warning me against the idea of coming to believe that I have arrived at "spiritual perfection".

And, for me, my problem is not "lack of power"... it's my Ego (Self-perception)... that keeps me disconnected from the Power. Conscious separation is my problem (Self-perception, Ego) and Conscious Contact (referred to in Step 11) is my solution.

At Step 10, I "entered the world of the spirit" and Steps 9, 10, 11 and 12, show me how easily my Ego can take me out of the "world of the spirit".

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study