- Hard Times in AA Dues & Fee Rate Hikes

Hard Times in AA Dues & Fee Rate Hikes

Share your sobriety jokes and humor here

Hard Times in AA Dues & Fee Rate Hikes

Postby petcal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Due to the downturn in the economy, Alcoholics Anonymous will NO LONGER be due and membership "Free", as has been the case for almost 75 years. Like many businesses, AA will now be charging for some things that used to be free, such as:
1--Being Rocketed into the 4th Dimension---$49.99 per trip, fuel surcharge applies, extra baggage NOT included. 5th dimension trips optional, see your sponsor for details.
2--Sponsorship--was free, NOW $9.99 per month, with 4 visits/20 phone calls per month free, after that, $2.00 each.
3--Membership Dues now $29.99/month, 10% discount for a 1-year plan.
4--Seating charges--Each seat now $1.00 per meeting, with a 20% discount for the 90-in-90 plan.
5--Pink Cloud was free, NOW $14.99 per cloud, with a $5.00 per event environmental cleanup fee. These are the NEW ozone-free Pink Clouds that do NOT add to global warming.
6--Coffee to be $1.50 per cup, with a 10% discount for 5 or more cups.
7--Hugs now will be $2.50 each.
8--Concious Contact with GOD now $9.99/month, with the first 450 minutes free, then 0.10 cents/minute fee over. New Double your minutes for life plan is a low 49.99 one time charge. Holidays and weekends extra, see rate schedule, as GOD is VERY busy.
9--Accidental cell phone going off charge now set at $25.00 per episode.
10--"Ive been Thinking" fees to now be $3.00 each, with a relapse re-entry fee of only $99.99 each, if your lucky enough to make it back into the rooms.
Please, void where prohibited by law, AA reserves the right to change none, all, or some of these rates at anytime, with no notice to you. If you need a notice of change of rates, a written request may be sent to headquarters in new York, of course, a $10.00 fee applies.
petcal

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 am

Petcal!!! That was great!!! Thanks for sharing and passing it on to us!!! I appreciate you.... and really enjoyed your post.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks Dallas

Postby petcal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for the kind word Dallas, I appreciate it. I have always loved AA humor--I work hard on my sobriety, and, need a lot of laughs to balance the load. As it says in the literature, "We are not a glum lot". Next time a newcomer asks whether he is an alcoholic or, perhaps just a heavy drinker, I can't wait to tell the 3 flies in the 3 drinks joke from this site!!
Cheers,
Calvin G.
Petaluma, CA
petcal

Postby Amilynn Noelle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Hey would you mind if I use this in an CWCO Newsletter? :) :)
[/quote]
Amilynn Noelle

Postby tim-one » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:21 am

What would I do to stay sober?

I know what I did to stay drunk. Maybe that info is useful.

I wonder if debit cards have hurt AA groups intake - the cashless economy.

Trying to make myself accountable and regain my wife's trust, I came up with the idea of only using my debit card for any purchase I make. VERY LITTLE cash in pocket. We get a monthly list of every penny I spend from the bank.

WOOPS! AA don't take no debit cards! My little cash disappears pretty quickly on peanut M&Ms and root beer. Or I only have a 20 (my meager weekly cash allowance). I'm the guy who holds the basket for 5 minutes rummaging for change. Those dam suspicious alcoholics next to me keep an eagle-eye on my slight-of-hand.

The only coins in my pocket are aluminum. I tried to pay my suggested dues with one, but they wanted to give me a silver one back.

It occurred to me that I used to be diligent about having a fistful of dollar bills to go some of the places I drank. (It's a guy thing) That was important, ya know!

Why can't I remember to go to a meeting with dollar bills?

Well, it's important enough to give up peanut M&Ms and break my 20.

But HP works in mysterious ways. Side-blessing - With all those bills in my wallet, I can see over the steering wheel now.

Love y'all,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Well.... hmmm.

Would your wife be willing to go to one meeting per month, and give the basket $30 or $60 bucks on your behalf... and then, she leave the meeting as soon as she knows they counted the basket and you can't take it back? :lol:

Or, perhaps you could use the debit card to buy cans of coffee and cookies for the meeting... so that the meeting didn't have to go buy the cans of coffee... and that could be your 7th tradition contribution? :wink:

An interesting side note (I think it's interesting)...

AA World Services is organized as a non-profit organization and it used to be... that full donations to the non-profit could be written off for tax purposes.

The same thing, with GSO, AA Districts, and Intergroups/Central Offices. Most incorporate as a "non-profit organization" and donations can be written off.

What kind of baffles me is:

The Gov. changed it so that only part of the donations can be written off, and this has hurt all non-profits (including AA) that were already struggling...

Then... they give an alkie $4500 for his clunker to go buy a new car, with the money that he now doesn't give to the non-profit, and they give the other alkie $8,500 to buy a house to replace the apartment that he got evicted out of. :lol: :lol:

When he goes back to drinking and the new car becomes a bondo fender-bender clunker... who's going to make his car payments? :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 am

Well, thank you for giving my wife some more SUGGESTIONS, Dallas.

Actually, I'll suggest she do that at the Sunday meeting she goes to with me. She'll have to go to my other meetings, too. But they're closed. She'll have to be an under-cover alcoholic for that gig. 8)

Coffee is a good idea. I do that sometimes out of my $20 left-over dollars - sugar, stir-sticks, sweet & low, creamer, Bailey's ... :shock: ... no wait ... can't buy Bailey's on Sunday here and I don't plan a day ahead.

I'm the "coffee chair" for the Sunday meeting. I missed breakfast with my sister this weeked because I have to go an hour early to make the coffee. I have the key.

The community center is being remodelled and all the groups had to put their stuff in boxes while the cabinets are torn out. Wasn't room for the coffee pot in a box so they told me to take it home with me. So I'm driving around with a 42 cup coffee pot in my truck (big group) and had to miss breakfast so I could keep a hundred drunks awake for a meeting. :wink:

'Sok by me ... I drink more than my share of the coffee. And I pick up some stuff on my own for the bar when we run out ahead of the scheduled re-supply run.

I feel safe with the coffee pot in my trunk. God ain't gonna let me die. He loves Him some coffee drinkin' drunks.

I'm glad AA does for itself - we are AA. We do for ourselves what gov't shouldn't do for us. We let a Higher Power then them do what we can't.

Liberal Democrats made it to my resentments list. Then I found out it was my fault. (I'm sure I just volunteered for a lot of liberal drunks to pray for me.) :P And I appreciate it. I drank liberally myself.

Love y'all,
Tim1

PS: Doggonit, Dallas. Now I have a new fear. Gov't healthcare - if they call alcoholism a medical problem wothy of paying for treatment like insurance companies do, they might pay the dues and regulate our group conscience. We're too big to fail! A cash-for-the-crashed program! Aw, DUDE! I gotta pray this through now. Thanks.
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 am

Well. We'll just have to do a whole bunch of frantic praying for God to help save us from the Govt.! :lol:

And, continue listening to that nutty money guy on the radio. What's his name? Dave Ramsey or something like that? Heck, he sounds too much like a sponsor with common sense to listen to him for too long! He says stuff like: Pray. Save your money. Pay your bills off. Become debt free. Be responsible. Get a 2nd and 3rd job if necessary! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cajunbam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Ditto to all of the above!

I just found out my grand-sponsor is Libertarian. I guess that I'll have to admit to him that I'm one also, since I too drank liberally! Haha!
cajunbam

Location: McDonough, GA - about 605.09 miles from Cajun Field

Return to Sobriety Jokes and Humor