- Step 2

Step 2

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:07 am

GeoffS wrote:I just had (yet) another Step 2 experience.

I think I'll keep coming back!!

The wonderful promise of Step 2! "Came to believe" is such a refreshing promise for me! And, I didn't know it.... because "came to believe" was not "come to believe" (past-tense), of "having arrived"... but, a moment by moment experience for the rest of my life in "coming to believe." Something that's new and refreshing each day and each moment.

At one time, I may have known all that I know now... but, then I was born! :lol: And, after I was born I started to think in terms of "me and my life" instead of "we and our lives". When I look into the eyes of the suffering and the sick -- I get a chance to see my eyes.... which to me, as I understand it, now "our eyes." Conscious separation was my curse and conscious unity is my blessing. When I see the still suffering alcoholic, I see me because me is we. :lol: I can remember when I was sick and suffering and shaking and nervous and afraid. And, through my experience I can see what happened to me and what I am like know... and that I can reach out to the we of me and offer hope, and live the living message that if I could stop shaking and get better, so can we.

God is good. Thanks for letting me share and thank you for sharing! Without all of you -- there would be no me! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dopeless hopefiend » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Remember the 12 steps are a journey. Not a destination. But you need to take the action of doing them!(as described in the BB with a sponsor)

My suggestion and what has helped me is the quote from step 2 that God is either everything or else he is nothing. God either is or he isnt. what was our choice to be? This is known as the second step proposition for those wishing to experience more freedom. With this, constant vigilance, and some accountability i have had several second step experiences.

As for struggling with your second step? In step 1 i learned how i am a hopeless alcoholic and am powerless and always will be. LACK OF POWER. THAT IS MY DILEMMA. I HAVE TO FIND A POWER BY WHICH I CAN LIVE. AND THIS HAS TO BE A POWER GREATER THAN MYSELF. It is just becoming willing to believe in a higher power. bango. your on to step three. its like this. did you make the sun rise this morning? no. do you thinking something else more powerful than you might have? yes. lets move on to step three and make a decision. and then continue with 4-12
Last edited by dopeless hopefiend on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dopeless hopefiend

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:35 pm

dopeless hopefiend wrote:God is either everything or else he is nothing.

Would you like to specifically explain what you mean by that? (I always ask everyone that I hear/read, that refers to it... so, don't feel picked on!). :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dopeless hopefiend » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:42 am

Yes. Well for me it comes into practice as which areas of my life have i not or am i not willing to give to god. In experiencing my higher power through the 12 steps i have recovered from the seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. Its like god can have the hard stuff, the booze and dope, but ill just keep the girl, the house, the family, the financial stuff, the job. But my self will can run riot in so many other areas of my life. And then i run on fear, rather than giving it to god (if god is everything). Its a way of how i came to believe( he either is, or he isn't) so its re-submitting to the process, laying aside my prejudice's and ego. So i can experience more freedom, more happiness and serenity and live more in the sunlight of the spirit:) so i can come around again. And experience more of this neat deal, and continue to grow and get closer with god, so i can experience what this is all about, and keep myself accountable to living this thing, 12 steps a day. Remember God is either everything or else he is nothing. God either is or he isn't. What is our choice to be? (for this alchoholic their is no middle of the road solution)

Thats the best i can sum up the second step proposition at this hour;)

thanks for the reply and letting me share. God Bless

mitch d
dopeless hopefiend

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks, Mitch! I appreciate you and your sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Sermon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:19 pm

Step 2,

we talked about this yesterday at the 5:30 meeting. "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

When I took this step I had to look at the sanity part. I wasn't sane when I walked in the rooms, I was insane. Found out by my sponsor who told me the def of insanity is- doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Well I had done that many of times. Short and simple. Then he asked me a couple questions;

1. "Do you think you are supior to others?" Yes

2. "Do you think that everyone else has to obey the laws but you do not?" Yes

3. "Have you ever asked yourself if you were an alcoholic?" Yep

4. Have you ever had a bad experience with alcohol and told yourself that maybe if you did it another way it wouldn't turn out so bad next time?" Yes

etc......

Then he went on to ask me; "Do you think this is insane thinking?" Yes

Ok gotcha. I'm crazy so what do I do about it.

He then asked me;

"Do you think maybe God can play a part in your recovery?" Yes
"Are you even willing enough give him a chance?" Sure

That was my step2. No more thought to it than that. I'm crazy maybe he can fix me. The smallest effort is a start. Being openminded enough to say "well maybe this just might work" is enough to go onto Step 3.

The 12x12 PG. 26
has one of my favorite passeges in it for step 2. The sponsor is talking to his sponsee who is not to sure about the whole God issue and he tells him to relax. Then he tells him, "Listen, if you will, to these three statements. First, Alcohoics Anonymous does not demand that you believe anything. All of it's Twelve Steps are but suggestions. Second, to get sober and to stay sober, you don' t have to swollow all of Step Two right now. Looking back, I find that I took it a peicemeal myself. Third, all you really need is a truly open mind. Just resign from the debating society and quit bothering yourself with such deep questions as whether it was the hen or the egg that came first. Again I say, all you need is the open mind."

I can relate to that, because when I walked into AA for the first time I had a completly closed mind. The old timers knew that I did and they told me if I couldn't believe in God then why didn't I just believe in the group to start off. I was ok with that, they also told me that when I decided that just maybe some of them really did believe, I didn't have to use anybody elses concept of God. I COULD USE MY OWN, however inadequte!!!!! I could do that too. Once again, all I needed to have to take step 2 was an open mind that maybe, just maybe there might be something that was greater than ME
Sermon

Postby PeaceJoy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am

I am probably making it too complicated as well. I know there is a power greater than me. I <think> He can restore me to sanity............ Hmmm?

PeaceJoy
PeaceJoy

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am

Well, you're a lot further along than I was -- when my sponsor said "Good! Congratulations, you've just taken Step 2! Now, let's get Step 3 done and move on through the Steps before you start drinking again!" :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:31 pm

:D Went to a meeting with my sponsor today. Unfortunately she lives 60 miles away from me so we met in the middle. It was an awesome meeting. Afterwards we talked and it was decided that I move on to step 3. Because of some recent backsliding behaviors, she wants me to do 90 meetings in 90 days. She's cracking the whip but I need it.

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Bensober » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 am

Encouraging! Very encouraging! This gives me more COURAGE! :-)

The point is we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas.

(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.

(b) That probably no human power could have relieved us from our alcoholism.

(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

For me this “no human powerâ€
Bensober

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps