- step 9...injuring them?

step 9...injuring them?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby GeoffS » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:47 pm

The unwritten rules in AA although usually meant to help, can often be just plain silly.

I always tell sponsees that they can't give away what they don't have.

If they have something worth giving then pass it on.

Sponsoring can help you find the holes in your own program (usually quickly).

Best lesson I learned is have enough humility to admit to a sponsee that you don't know the answer. Then you can go find out together from another OSM and thats a real fun way to grow.
GeoffS

Postby tim-one » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 am

Update on an old post:

Thanks to y'all, I swallowed my timidity and started sponsoring back in July ... the most humbling and rewarding experience I've ever had.

You convinced me that, if I've done the stepwork to the best of my ability and remain close to my HP, then I have enough of value to offer. It's more than they have at the moment. It's enough.

I'm more sober-minded than the guys I'm helping. That and God's grace is all I need. His grace is sufficient for me. He keeps me out of trouble. He blesses what I say right and makes my mistakes of no affect. That's His job. I'm just willing and available. AND I get to stay sober.

I've been blessed with guys who are really intent on staying sober and working for what they see I have through HP's grace. Wow. No pride to it, which would be my bane.

I certainly see both sides of the argument still. But, for me, the confusion is long gone. It's simply Step 12. Step 12 is not done ... it's doing. If I'm not working with others immediately, I haven't done Step 12. Hopefully, I will never "done" Step 12. I hope to always be doing it.

"Faith withiout works is dead." I also think that willingness without obedience is dead.

Thanks to your prodding, I'm enjoying this work. I feel SO USED! :wink:

A frequent song I sing to HP is, "Just keep on using me, cuz I sure am using You to do the things You do." - "in me, by me, to me, and through me for You to the benefit of everyone around me".

I LOVE THIS JOB!

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Previous

Return to 12 Steps