- quote for today !

quote for today !

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

quote for today !

Postby ccs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 am

"If the grass is greener on the other side, it's because they are putting fertilizer on it!"

I've spent a lot of my life envying what other people had, resenting I didn't have it too, and feeling I deserved it. I've always felt smarter, more talented, better looking, and more suited for the success I've seen others enjoying. I never understood why others seemed to have all the breaks until I entered recovery, and then I got a harsh lesson...
Michael Z.

woo hoo mike really speaks my mind :lol:
reminds me of the prideful balloon
ccs

Postby Dallas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks Cessie! I hope you keep these coming!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm

"The less full of ourselves we are, the more room there is for others."

Today I realize that thinking less about myself not only helps me to feel better, but it does something even more important - it allows me to be present for others and so enables the miracle of God and the program to work through me. I also know that my only hope for long term recovery and happiness depends on my continued ability to be of service to others.

That's why today I try to make more room for others by being less full of myself!
Michael Z.

ask and ye shall recieve LUV YA D :D :wink:
ccs

Postby ccs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:05 am

"Everyone wants to feel better, but no one wants to change."

Thank God my sponsor was willing to tell me the truth, and thank God I was ready to hear it. Deep down I knew I was the common denominator in all the things I had tried that didn't work, and once I got to step four and honestly looked at my part in things, I finally realized what had to change - me. While thoroughly working the steps, the promises began to come true for me, and today I am not the same man who entered the rooms all those years ago. Today I am happy, joyous and free.

And that is worth changing for. :wink:
Michael Z

LUV-2-All Cess
ccs

Postby ccs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:17 pm

"For every nut in the program, there is a bolt."

When I first entered the rooms of recovery, I was a little taken aback by some of the strange characters I heard share. Some had been to prison; some had lived on the streets; some had been prostitutes; some were ex-gangsters, and some were still pretty crazy. "These people have nothing in common with me," I told my sponsor. "How are they going to help me get sober?"

"Some of these people may not be able to help you directly," he said. "But the fact that they can get this thing and stay sober shows that you can, too." I saw his point. "Besides that," he continued, "even if they don't have the exact experience you've had, there will be someone else who will. No matter what's going on with you, there will always be somebody who has the experience, strength and hope you'll need.

Over the years, I've found this to be so true. One of the things I've learned to count on is that there always is someone who can help me regardless of what I've been or are going through. This has taught me the value of everyone in the program - not just those that I can identify with.

Now I know that there is a bolt for every nut in the program - even me!
:D :D :D :D
ccs

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:34 pm

No Cessie. You're not one of the nuts! :lol:

I tend to bolt when the nuts show up. And, you... keep me coming back! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Bill_J » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:20 pm

this was me to a tee until i learned proper gratitude.. when i envy others i deminish the gifts i have.. when i deminish the things i have i loose there value.. i would forget things like a roof over my head, food, friends, fresh air to breathe, beautiful wonderful nature all around me, the stars, my wife, and most of all the miricals of my life my children.. when i loose value in these things i feel worthless and want to drink.. gratitude keeps me centered... now being in A.A. i have my sobreity meetings where people help love me back to health the teachings from the big book my higher power who is always there for me,,, my list could go on for days long story short when i focus on the positives in my life through gratitude i loose focus on the negatives and they then start to diminish
Bill_J

Postby ccs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway (1898-1961) American Writer
ccs

Postby ccs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:39 pm

The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers M. ~ Scott Peck
ccs

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.

Postby Bensober » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 am

Love this one by Earnest CCS,

Learning to be IMPECCABLE with my word. Wow! My Sponsor had me do research on words...in particular where words and "the word" came from. Discovery for one example is a story of how creation was made from another big book that was used in one of the original AA Mtgs called the "Oxford Group"(I think thats right). But anyway the original "word" apparently came from God!...then all creation was formed. This tells me, I better not get my mouth in front of my nose or various other parts of my body. That words are truly powerful today. If I can't say...then do... what adds value to my or others life today...then I better THINK, THINK, THINK, some more before I say. IMPECCABLE means perfect/flawless. I'm progressing toward IMPECCABILITY cause I'm not perfect and just another brother in progress. I'm glad our brother Earnest in his sober moments was able to write this out and that you shared it CCS.

Ben H.
Bensober

Next

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings